.

.

Saturday, January 14, 2017

kay's week - 1.14.17



Welcome to week #2 of kay's week.  Hope everyone has had a good week, though I know some have been sick and some have had bad weather.  Mine has not been bad at all.  I've gotten back into some good habits and read, read, read.

Wendy from Musings of a Bookish Kitty shared a couple of posts recently that included the first line of the books she read in 2016 and also the last line (she warned of spoilers) of books.  I've seen other bloggers share the first line in their reviews and there are, of course, a couple of memes where we share a bit from a book.  However, I decided to note both - first sentence-ish and last sentence-ish in my reading journal.  I'm excited about having those 'memory helps' available for me at a later time. Thanks for the tip, Wendy!


I've been reading...

I finished 3 books this week and marked 1 as a DNF.  All 3 I finished were read/listen combos.

The Woman In Cabin 10 is Ruth Ware's second book.  The audio was narrated by Imogen Church and she did a marvelous job.  Lo Blacklock is a travel journalist that is invited on a luxury cruise and finds it much more harrowing than she expected.  Lo is a nervous sort of person and it doesn't help that she's been the victim of a burglary a couple of days before the cruise leaves.  Plus the ship itself is smaller than she imagined - a boutique cruise.  The other passengers are journalists and investors.  Lo wakes up the first night and thinks she hears someone falling overboard and a scream.  She reports this to ship security, but feels like no one believes her.  The whole book reinforced my resolve to stay off of boats.  I get motion sick anyway.  The story was suspenseful and I was surprised a few times.  Recommended.

I next read The Drowning Girls by Paula Treick DeBoard.  This is the first book I've read by this author and it was narrated by Amy McFadden and David Atlas (both good).  Liz McGinnis, a high school counselor, moves to a very, very upscale community with her husband, Phil, and her teenage daughter, Danielle.  Phil's job as a community liaison comes with a house in the neighborhood paid for by his employer, but the McGinnis' lives are so different from the rich people in the area.  The family is welcomed initially, but then things start to go wrong.  Liz has problems with both Phil and Danielle.  There are incidents, secrets, major drama.  I liked this story pretty well, but it did seem that if a dramatic incident could happen, it did.  A little over the top.  I guessed the ending.

My next read was The Vanishing Year by Kate Moretti.  Again, the first book I've read by this author.  The narrator was Mandeleine Maby, who I've enjoyed before.  She does a good job.  In this book, Zoe Whittaker is a young wife to a Wall Street success, Henry.  Zoe used to work at a flower shop, but she and Henry met at a corporate event and he swept her off her feet.  Now she lives in a penthouse apartment and organizes fundraisers and goes to lavish parties with her husband.  Zoe though used to be another person with another name.  When her photograph is published in the society pages, Zoe finds that her life is in turmoil.  She's nearly run over by a speeding vehicle, her apartment is broken into, she feels someone watching her - is her secret out?  I read this one pretty quickly and, at first, thought I had the secrets solved.  I did not.  There were some surprises, though the main character was a little tough to like.  This was mostly good for me - not wonderful, but mostly good.

Lastly, I really tried to read The Haunting of Maddy Clare by Simone St. James.  I featured this one on Tuesday.  I got to 25% on my Kindle and it just wasn't working for me.  I decided it either wasn't the right time or not the right book, so I put it aside.  I'll perhaps try again at a later date.


I've watched...

The second episode of Sherlock - hmmm...this is obviously going to be a dark, dark year for this particular adaptation of Sherlock.  Not sure I'm loving it.  Think I like the Elementary adaptation better right now.  I've been a little weary of many of my long-watched TV shows.  Shows like NCIS and Criminal Minds and others.  While we were sick, I started watching Foyle's War again and I'm enjoying that.


Book Groups...

I did attend a book group this week, even though I hadn't read the book for discussion - Finding Nouf by Zoe Ferraris.  The discussion was quite good and I'll be reading this one before long.  There are 2 others books in the series as well.  Next month's book for that group is not very appealing to me - The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles.  I suspect I'll give that one a pass.  This week, another book group that I visit from time to time is meeting.  They are having a Dead Author Month and discussing books by Carol Shields.  I've not read any books by that author, but I might attend anyway.  It's always fun listening to the discussion.  Have you read any of Carol Shields' books?


Personally...

I resumed walking at the rec center on Monday and have walked each day this week.  It felt good to go round and round the track, listening to whatever book I was reading at the moment.  Lots of people at the gym.  It's always like that in January and February as everyone works on their 'resolutions'.  Then it will quiet down.  Next week, I'm going to try to tackle yoga again.  We also got rain yesterday and that will help the cedar pollen levels in our area.  I'm so happy for that - tired of itchy eyes and ears.  As I wind up this weekly post, I'll share a picture of my Christmas gift from my daughter and son-in-law.  Just what I needed - a lovely book bag, an Amazon gift card for Kindle books, and a bookmark that the daughter made with counted cross stitch.  I've already used the bag.  It holds a very nice amount of library books.  Yes, I know, I was going to only read my own books.  You didn't really believe me when I said that, right?  Ha!  Have a great week!!




50 comments:

  1. I have the Women In Cabin 10 on my list. I'm going to recommended as one of the choices at the next meeting since it's my turn to recommend books. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I don't mind a day spin on a boat, but will probably never take a cruise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know if your group picks the Cabin 10 book and what you think!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry that The Haunting of Maddy Clare didn't work out. The Woman in Cabin in 10 is still on my list. Love the book bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, the Haunting book started off well for me, but somehow I lost interest. Probably means it just wasn't the right time. I love that bag too. It's very sturdy.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you were able to get back to walking. I think I liked The Drowning Girls more than you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I'm trying to figure out a way to write about books that were not 100% winners for me without being too negative. I did like The Drowning Girls, but I did roll my eyes some too. And, yes, I'm very glad to be back to walking too. I think my lungs needed to be cleared out after that flu.

      Delete
  4. The Vanishing Year sounds good to me so I'll add that to my To Read list. Thanks! I'm hoping to get outside to walk this week. Temps should be back in the 30s so if there are some days without rain I'll be heading out. That means I need to pick an audiobook - yay. Have a great week, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audiobooks and walks are perfect for each other. Though I will say that walking in 30 degree temperature seems way too cold to me. I know. I'm spoiled. LOL

      Delete
  5. The French Lieutenant's Woman is one of my favorite books ever, but I read it pre-blogging and have never written about it. I've read a number of Carol Shields novels, and The Stone Diaries was my favorite (it's her most acclaimed).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info, Jeanne. Maybe I should reconsider about The French Lieutenant's Woman. We'll see.

      Delete
  6. Still feeling under the weather, but well enough to do some blog-hopping. Sure hope I get my energy back before Monday. I hate to have to miss anymore work, but I know I'd be useless if I went in feeling as weak as a I do right now. Ugh.

    BTW, I love your header! Snow on the mountains and pine trees makes my heart sing. :)

    I think you enjoyed The Women in Cabin 10 more than I did. I got tired of the main character by the halfway point.

    I was just thinking about Foyle's War the other night when we were watching Endeavor (a new favorite!!). Might be fun to go back and watch the entire series again, now that a few years have passed.

    Have a great week, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, be kind to yourself and don't go back too soon. The energy sapping is definitely a problem. Thinking of you! And I bet you'd like Foyle's War again. Of course, the snow and mountains are from New Mexico. I suspect there is more on them right now.

      Delete
  7. I remember loving The French Lieutenant's Woman - the book and the movie. It has a bit of spookiness I think you'd like. And now, just thinking about it, I want to read it again, and/or watch the movie.
    I get it about ships. Same with islands. No place to get away!
    Sherlock was dark, but good, we thought.
    I gave up on NCIS when Ziva left. I don't watch any US shows now except This is Us which I think is beyond wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'll think about The French Lieutenants Woman. We shall see.

      Delete
    2. I just bought it for the kindle. I would have bought a print copy but I didn't like the cover.

      Delete
  8. Foyle's War is wonderful. I still haven't seen the two Sherlocks I have recorded... will get to it. Like Nan (everything I do is like Nan...we both read exactly 59 books in 2016. LOL) I gave up on NCIS when Ziva left. *Love* your new bookbag!

    I keep seeing The Woman in Cabin 10 recommended so I must see if I can find a copy. I've been reading a book about Kick Kennedy all week (all down to Nan again) and thought it was utterly brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fact that you and Nan share so many lovely things! Yes, I understand about leaving NCIS after Ziva was gone. We still hang in there, but Tony left this year and that was tough.

      Delete
    2. I hate to use the expression, but it fits here - omg, Tony left! Yeah, it's funny about the Cath and Nan show. ;<) And Kay, if you have an interest in the Kennedy family (I do - a strong interest), you might enjoy Kick. Beautifully written. Sometimes it felt like time had switched, and I was there. That's high praise for an author, I think.

      Delete
    3. I'm going to use 'OMG' too... TONY left? Wow. Is Ducky still there? Loved Ducky and his little monologues. Yes! You must read Kick, Kay. It's wonderful. So easy to read and like Nan (LOL) I really felt like I was there in the 1920s and 30s. Just about to review it on my blog.

      Delete
    4. I'll watch for your review, Cath. I don't have a huge interest in the Kennedy family, but still...

      Yes, Tony left. The actor has a new show that appears after NCIS - called Bull, I think. We haven't watched it. And, yes, Ducky is still there.

      Delete
  9. Such a cute bag! I really want to read the Woman in Cabin 10 and I've jotted down some of the others you read. Sorry the St. James mystery didn't work out for you. That's another on my list. We finally watched Sherlock last night and was surprised by the first episode of this season. I have to say it took me a while to get into it and I think it's because it's been so long since the we last watched it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten how long it had been since the previous season of Sherlock. It has been a while. I love my new bag!

      Delete
  10. Such a newsy post, I enjoyed it! All those books sound good, I've not read any of them. There is a book group at my library and I keep thinking I'll go but they don't seem to read anything I really want to invest time reading. I read too many old books and that makes me the odd man out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about the book group and being unsure whether you want to read the books. I feel the same, but have decided I can just go and listen to the discussion. That's fun too. You do read a lot of older books, but I love that too. It good to keep them in the collective memory of all of us.

      Delete
  11. My daughter has been recommending Sherlock lately, so we'll probably go back to season one and try to catch up. I started watching Foyle's War with my FIL last winter and enjoyed it. We'll probably pick up where we left off this year.

    I remember reading The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields - liked it but didn't love it. Keep meaning to read Unless, but never seem to get there. The French Lieutenant's Woman has been on my list for years.

    Love the bag from your daughter and SIL... haven't seen that slogan before! Glad you're feeling well enough to go back to the gym :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may watch the Sherlock series again after a bit. I am really enjoying revisiting Foyle's War. And I'd like to catch up on Midsomer Murders or maybe just begin again at the beginning.

      Delete
  12. I watched the second episode of Sherlock too - quite dark indeed and I do like the Elementary take on the character too. I have read The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields years ago and enjoyed it but I hated The French Lieutenant's Woman which I had to read at school. Love the bookmark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting mixed results about TFLW. I'm still on the fence, but will probably skip it. Too many books that I'm pretty sure I'll love.

      Delete
  13. Haha! Love the bag! Sounds like you had a pretty good week, both reading and otherwise. I think my pick would be The Woman in Cabin 10 - I've seen loads of positive reviews of it, so I might see if somehow or other I can squeeeeeeeze it in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try The Woman In Cabin 10 and also her first book, In A Dark Dark Wood.

      Delete
  14. First... thank you SO much for reconnecting with me today. I look forward to staying in touch in 2017 :)

    Secondly... I think I need to read all three books! They sound like great escape novels.

    Lastly... I admire your walking routine. I pledged to move more in 2017 (part of my focus on "nourish") I've done a relatively good job with calisthenics (working on building my arm and core muscles), but I have yet to make strides in the cardio aspect of physical health. I'd love to return to a 10,000 steps a day regimen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we reconnected as well, Molly. Yes, each of these books were escape books. That seems to be the type of book that is appealing to me right now. Thanks for the encouragement about the walking. And good luck to you as well!

      Delete
  15. I wasn't going to use the library this year, either, but I have been browsing their site, so I probably will in the end. lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really do love most British TV shows but I thought the Sherlock show was dreadful, truly awful! Did you know that the man who plays Sherlock's brother is also the screenwriter? OH dear, when it was pointed out to him that the plots are bit complicated, he told people to go read a children's book! MEOW! HA!
    Take care, have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that about the screenwriter. Yes, pretty dark this year. Wonder if it will be the last?

      Delete
  17. I've never even heard of your three books featured. Did you pick them because they are all blue? I'm having the same thoughts about Sherlock. I love all of those actors, but the storylines are just too dark. I didn't get to see last night's episode (football), but I'll watch it on demand. The gift from your daughter is perfect. It made me think that I'd like a new bag this year. I can't quite figure out what the complete saying is on the bag.

    Have a great week Kay, and keep up the walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, I don't think I even thought about the fact that the covers were all blue until I was posting them on the blog. Then I noticed. Ha!

      The saying on the book bag is 'BOOK MARKS ARE FOR QUITTERS'. It's a cute bag.

      Delete
  18. I love The French Lieutenant's Woman but it's a slow mover. I'm definitely wanting to get to The Woman in Cabin 10!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm intrigued with The Vanishing Year after reading your thoughts. Will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Vanishing Year has a lot of surprises. Definitely. LOL

      Delete
  20. I've been curious about The Woman in Cabin 10 ever since I started seeing it pop up all over the place. The boat setting is what intrigues me. I've never taken a cruise because I suffer from motion sickness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - about the motion sickness. This functioned pretty well as a 'locked room' mystery. I look forward to seeing what Ruth Ware writes next.

      Delete
  21. Love the bag :)

    I felt the same way about THE WOMAN IN CABIN 10 (not perfect but suspenseful and enjoyable) and THE VANISHING YEAR (just okay).

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Woman in Cabin 10 was fun. A good page turner.

    Kudos for walking. I am focusing on clean eating at the moment but I am sure activity will come into play soon. I detest exercise. I am definitely not a fan of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I understand about not being a fan of exercise. I'm not either. I pretty much have to force myself. That being said, I usually am glad that I have done it.

      Delete
  23. That's disappointing about The Haunting of Maddy Clare. Hopefully, if you try it again, you will enjoy it more!

    I wish we had a gym here that had a track. I really detest treadmills, and that is all that exists around here. Enjoy your walking and listening! There is no better thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know those indoor tracks are hard to come by. We used to belong to a gym in Austin that had one and I found this one at the Rec Center in our new town. Otherwise, not very common. I love it - no pollen, cool in summer, warmer in winter. What's not to like?

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!