.

.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Tuesday - First Chapter - First Paragraph - Brooklyn Bones



Each Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea shares the first part of a book that she is reading or thinking about reading.  This week I'm sharing the first few paragraphs of Brooklyn Bones by Triss Stein.  This is the first book in the Erica Donato series, published by the Poisoned Pen Press.  I saw Triss on a panel at last spring's Left Coast Crime.  Enjoyed listening to her and this fits my quest for March mystery group's theme.  See what you think:




     It began with a sobbing phone call from my daughter, the kind of call every parent dreads.  All I made out was that something terrible had happened; she was terrified, would never get over it.  It was all my fault.
     Chris is fifteen.  Pretty much everything is all my fault, and yet--and yet--her voice told me it was more than teenage hysterics.  Maybe.
     With my heart in my mouth--oh, yes, some of those old cliches are dead accurate--I slapped a note on my desk to say I was out for the afternoon, ran out of the museum where I was an intern, and hustled across downtown Brooklyn at an undignified half-run.  I was in and out of the subway and running up the stairs to my house less than half an hour from the moment the phone rang.
     'Oh, mommy.'  She flew from the back room and threw herself into my arms.
     Well, I thought.  She hasn't done that in years.


Blurb:

A crime of the past comes much too close to home when Erica Donato’s teen-age daughter Chris finds a skeleton behind a wall in their crumbling Park Slope home. Erica – young widow, over-age history Ph.D candidate, mother of a teen, product of blue-collar Brooklyn – is drawn into the mystery when she learns this was an unknown teen-age girl, hidden there within living memory. She and her daughter are both touched and disturbed by the mysterious tragedy in their own home.

Chris’s dangerous curiosity and Erica’s work at a local history museum lead her right back to her neighborhood in its edgy, pre-gentrification days, the period when the age of Aquarius was turning dark. A cranky retired reporter shares old files with her. The charming widow of a slumlord has some surprises for her. The crazy old lady who hangs around her street keeps trying to tell her something. And there are people, including some she is close to, who know the whole story and will stop at nothing to make sure it stays buried forever.

---------------------------------------------------

I had a daughter who definitely went through her teens.  So, I know how teens can be.  And I lived through the 'age of Aquarius'.  I'm curious to see how this story progresses.  There are 3 books in this series and I'm looking forward to it.  Plus, Poisoned Pen Press.

43 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting and something I would enjoy. A skeleton behind a wall? I need to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, this one sounds good! I'll have to add it to my Audible list. Hmmm, I may have to plan for a month of mysteries in March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do that. Of course, I kind of plan for a year of mysteries, with a few other things thrown in for good measure. :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh this sound pretty good. How did that skeleton get there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. My question too. I also think that there is quite the sense of setting in this series or so I've heard.

      Delete
  4. Wow! This sounds intense. I have a 15 year old daughter, so it hit close!

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think anyone who has had a 15-year-old daughter would relate. Ha!

      Delete
  5. Sobbing phone calls from daughters - I've been there!
    Miss Cellany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think all mothers of teen girls have been there. LOL

      Delete
  6. Oh, yes, single mom, teenage hysterics, mysteries, The Age of Aquarius...I'm in! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had me at 'Age of Aquarius' - I could just here the Fifth Dimension song playing in my head.

      Delete
  7. I do like the sound of this one--and that it's s series makes it even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so. Even though the series only has 3 books, that's definitely easily read.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like an overly dramatic teenaged girl -- been there:) I am curious for more though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say that a skeleton in the wall would be a bit of real drama. LOL

      Delete
  9. I'm trying not to dread the teen years. The fives have been hard. LOL This sounds like an interesting mystery, Kay. I haven't heard of this author before, but the mystery itself intrigues me. I really like the intro you shared as well--it drew me in pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Wendy, the 5's and the teens - maybe a bit alike. LOL

      Delete
  10. Oh, yes, I'm interested in this one! Thanks for the heads up, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good that I've interested you in this one!

      Delete
  11. I would definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes this sounds very good - I've had some of those calls in my time but I'm relieved to say not for that kind of trauma haha. Thanks for highlighting this one today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the calls, but not a skeleton either, Cleo. Thankfully. LOL

      Delete
  13. Oh yes, those 15-year-old teenage girls. I had 2 of them and we are all still alive. No skeletons in our walls, thank God. This sounds good Kay. It's completely new to me, but will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your phrase 'we are all still alive' - yes, us too. LOL

      Delete
  14. I like the blurb but I'm not so sure about the opening. One of my pet hates is when an author uses a cliche and then attempts to justify it. However I'd read on... look forward to hearing what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it. Think part is the remembering those 'dramatic' teen years. Now she's just a 'normal' 34-year-old. LOL

      Delete
  15. This sounds like something I would like. Even now, in Brooklyn a young friend lived there for years and didn't want her son finding needles everywhere so moved to Austin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...well, Austin's not perfect by any means. LOL

      I think you might like this one, Nan. Triss Stein seemed like a very nice lady, though I only listened to her on a panel. I already had a copy of this book, so didn't buy one at the conference.

      Delete
    2. I bought it for the kindle. Thanks.

      Delete
  16. That's a grabber for me. Here's mine for this week: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-1ti

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, this sounds intriguing. Adding it to my TBR list on Goodreads. Thanks for another heads-up on a great-sounding mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read this when it first came out, I think from NG (?) I remember it holding my interest but otherwise I read so many suspense mysteries that some get jumbled in my memory. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand that. I get a little confused about which story goes with which mystery too. That comes from reading lots of them I imagine. Hope you are feeling better, Rita!

      Delete
  19. I read the 2nd book in the series (I think it's the 2nd - it's about stained glass) and really loved it. The latest book didn't really do it for me but I need to go back and read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm pretty sure the 2nd book is about stained glass. Think that's part of the cover. Sounds like the 3rd didn't work as well for you. We shall see how I fare.

      Delete
  20. Great first paragraphs... I like how it's quickly intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Definitely attention-grabbing! Hope you enjoy your read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about a quarter of the way through it and liking it a lot so far.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!