.

.

Thursday, January 5, 2017

One word...

Last year, I participated for the first time in the 'One Word' project that I'd read about on Sheila's blog - Book Journey.  My 2016 word was JOY.  I vowed to look for JOY wherever I could find it - in the quiet places - in the unexpected places.  I also wanted to share JOY with others when I could.  I think that I did pretty well with that goal for most of the year.  However, as we all know, 2016 was a stressful year for many reasons - which I will not go into here.  Each of us had our own stresses and worries and fears.  As the fall came and the year drew to a close, I found myself retreating more and more into my 'safe place' - my reading world - books - and stepping away from news and social media and the constant stream of 'updates'.  JOY was difficult to see.

Now it's 2017 and time for a new word, a new focus, a new 'lease on life', if you will.  As I was pondering if I would even do the 'One Word' project again, the word 'peace' kept coming into my head.  I was trying to explain to my husband about 'One Word' and told him I was considering 'peace'.  We were in the car and there was a song playing.  He sat for a minute listening and then said, 'maybe you should use this song as inspiration for your word'.  And there it was.  My word.

The song was 'Breathe' by Jonny Diaz, a contemporary Christian artist.  There are a couple of verses that speak to me very, very strongly:


I’m hanging on tight to another wild day
When it starts to fall apart in my heart I hear you say just

Breathe, just breathe
Come and rest at my feet
And be, just be
Chaos calls but all you really need

Is to take it in, fill your lungs
The peace of God that overcomes
Just breathe (just breathe)
let your weary spirit rest
Lay down what’s good and find what’s best
Just breathe (just breathe)


If you are interested in hearing the song in it's entirety, you can find it on YouTube.

----------------------------------------------------------------


The ocean picture above was taken by me at the Oregon Coast in 2010.  That was a trip we took after my mother died and my 'parent care' time was at an end.  It was a trip that showed me how the ocean and the rhythms there were so very soothing to me - the person who always looks to the mountains for solace.  Thinking about BREATHE brought that trip to mind and how I was so mesmerized by watching the waves.  It's a good reminder.

So that's my word.  BREATHE.  As a person who finds it way too easy to get caught up in anxiety and stress, my goal for 2017 is to BREATHE.  I found it quite ironic that I spent the turning of the year, 2016 to 2017, actually trying to breathe without coughing.  A little life lesson and reinforcement that perhaps BREATHE was indeed my 'One Word' for 2017.  Thanks for listening.


12 comments:

  1. Good word, to just stop and breathe slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine is always, always thankfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how wonderful! I love the concept of taking a minute to breathe. It's something we forget to do so often with the constant updates and noise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny you should say all that. Just today I was saying "relax". The first 5 days of 2017 have already been a hand full. I choose Relax.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful choice! Last year, my word was PEACE. I'm still contemplating a word for 2017 and plan to share it in a post next week.

    Love the photo of the Oregon coast, as you well know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anxiety isn't an issue for me these days although little things can sometimes take away my calm life. Those days I try to remind myself to "stop and smell the roses". Breathe--is very good choice for those moments as well. Hope 2017 is a good year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breathe is a great word! My One Word last year was Balance, which I only sometimes achieved.

    After the horrendous 2016, though, I needed something to hang onto, which was why I chose HOPE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 💘 your word, and thanks for sharing it. Being able to just "breathe" and let our troubles roll away like the waves is a wonderful imagery.

    I hope we also find peace in 2017. But I do know we will find many new titles to read and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fantastic word, Kay, and one many of us could also adopt. I was telling Bryan how much I love his collage of all of our One Words because it is so inspiring and because there is a definite theme among them this year. I think we are all looking to relax and regain a sense of calm and well-being that seemed to be missing in 2016. Breathe is definitely one way to do so.

    Good luck and I look forward to watching your journey throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! Thanks for sharing your goal word and good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoy reading the one word posts that so many are doing. I love your word choice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for inking to the song - I needed that! It's a beautiful word for 2017. I'm sure that I will be 'borrowing' this word on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!