.

.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Tuesday - First Chapter - First Paragraph - The Readaholics and the Gothic Gala



Each Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea shares the first part of a book that she is reading or thinking about reading.  This week I'm sharing the first few paragraphs of The Readaholics and the Gothic Gala by Laura DiSilverio.  This is the 3rd book in her 'Book Club Mystery' series (yes, the 3rd book - can you see how well I am doing on my 'getting out of the comfort zone of compulsion to read series in order').  Ha!  I have also been trying to read a few books that aren't classified as 'thriller' and the premise of this one - Gothic Gala - and a 'Book Club Mystery' did it for me.  See what you think:



     Normally, when I'm surrounded by books, I'm in a state of bliss.  Today, I could feel a headache coming on.  That wasn't the books' fault; no, it was a by-product of dealing with the people who wrote them.  I'd never had much contact with writers.  Barring the one signing I went to some years ago in Boulder, where the author entertained the small audience with humorous stories about writing his police procedurals and life in Wyoming, I didn't think I'd ever met a writer.  I'd blithely assumed they'd all be something like the Boulder author--affable, entertaining, happy to interact with fans.  First wrong assumption...
     I'd discovered the hard way that attending an author signing bore no resemblance to organizing a multiple-author event.  When Gemma Frant, owner of Heaven's only bookstore, Book Bliss, had hired me to put together a 'Celebration of Gothic Novels' to coincide with the September birthdays of her favorite twentieth-century gothic authors, I'd jumped at the chance.  What could be more fun than organizing an event focused on books?  After all, I'd grown up in a house with more books than dust mites, with a mother who was a librarian.  I had read voraciously since sounding out my first Dr. Seuss book, and would just as soon have gotten on a plane or gone to a doctor's waiting room naked as without a book.  Five years ago, I'd started the Readaholics, the book club currently reading du Maurier's REBECCA in honor of this event.  It's one of the most widely read gothic novels of all time, after all.  So, I'd figured any event that revolved around books had to be fun, right?  Second off base assumption...


Blurb:

Reading the gothic classic Rebecca already has the Readaholics spooked, and the chills only get worse when someone in town actually gives up the ghost....

Amy-Faye Johnson has her hands full coordinating the Celebration of Gothic Novels in Heaven, Colorado. The festivities start off smoothly, but the weekend is soon cursed with large egos, old resentments, and uninvited guests. Matters become truly grave when a dead body is found at the gothic-themed costume party.

The out-of-town authors claim not to know the victim, but Amy-Faye has doubts. With skeletons turning up in all of the suspects’ closets, Amy-Faye and the Readaholics must tap into their knowledge of gothic literature to find a killer who lurks in the shadows...

------------------------------------------------------

I was attracted to this book not only because of the book club angle.  Our mystery group read and discussed Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca a couple of years ago at our October meeting.  I always try to make our October selection a book that would fit the 'Gothic' category.  We had a good discussion, though there were no bodies.  Also, the author that is referred to in the intro  - the Wyoming one - could definitely be Craig Johnson - author of the Walt Longmire series.  It could probably be others as well, but I've heard such good things about Craig's author events.  I'm looking forward to reading this one and the two books that precede it.

34 comments:

  1. Oh I like that intro and this is a NEW one for me; I'd try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! It's a cozy and sounds interesting to me.

      Delete
  2. This sounds fun and I love the fact that it revolves around books as well. Enjoy it and thanks for sharing. I would definitely try it!
    Laura :)
    My FPFC Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I liked the book/book group angle as well.

      Delete
  3. Ha! Love books about books and authors. I'm not usually a cozy reader, but this one sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of a cozy reader anymore. Used to read more of them. This seemed fun though.

      Delete
  4. This sounds good. I'm doing to check out this series...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice that there are only 3 books at this point. Always tough to find a series you're interested in that has 15 books or something. LOL

      Delete
  5. Ooh, sounds so good! I like all the different book references! Thanks for sharing a new series; I'm assuming this is a cozy one, or at least a fun mystery. I would definitely read on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a cozy. I think you can tell from the cover art a bit. Only 3 books in it so far.

      Delete
  6. This sounds like my kind of cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was attracted to the books/book group theme.

      Delete
  7. I am intrigued by the opening lines and the idea of a book club that features Rebecca, one of my all-time favorites. I have a pristine copy of that book sitting on my shelves, waiting for the day when I can reread it.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should reread it soon and also watch the Hitchcock movie. Maybe in October. LOL

      Delete
  8. This sounds like a really fun, albeit somewhat gothically spooky, mystery. I'll definitely be looking into this. Here's my link for today: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-1uf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think fun and probably less on the spooky side. This is a cozy, so the shivers should be minimal.

      Delete
  9. I'd definitely keep reading to find out what went wrong with the book signing. I like the author's conversational style, too. This sounds like a book I'd adore.
    Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.
    Sandy @ Writing With a Texas Twang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the humor was fun and I agree with her - always carry a book with you.

      Delete
  10. I like the tone and pace here. I think it sounds fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the book club angle of this book. Also, I like how you make October a gothic-themed read. It sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a good time and October is perfect for gothic reads.

      Delete
  12. Which book lover can resist a book that features a book club? It sounds like there is a whole walk in wardrobe full of skeletons in this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I thought the same. We shall see when I get started on it.

      Delete
  13. This sounds like a fun series! My book group tries to read a "Halloween" themed book in October and a Christmas mystery in December :)
    Can't wait to hear how this one turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. We don't read a 'book group' book in December. We mostly eat and talk about our favorites for the year. And book swap.

      Delete
  14. I love a nice cosy to break up the tougher reads and this sounds like a lot of fun. I look forward to hearing what you think of it... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a lot of thrillers lately. This seemed like a good palate cleanser, so to speak.

      Delete
  15. That sounds great. What could be better than a mystery series about a book club? On my list...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this one! One of my favorite things was they really talked about the book and it wasn't just the occasional mention. I hope you like it and I'm really looking forward to reading the previous 2 in the series.
    PS - I saw your comment on my blog about creepy books and I LOVE Barbara Michaels! I own almost all of her books and have read them who knows how many times. Just thinking about them makes me want to do a reread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that someone had read this book. Think it was you, Katherine. And I now remember that we've talked about Barbara Michaels before. Yes, I have reread all my favorites over and over.

      Delete
  17. I have a copy of this one and really want to read it! It sounds like something I would really like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both. Not sure when I'll get to it. Maybe in a few weeks.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!