.

.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Waiting on Wednesday - Down a Dark Road



Waiting on Wednesday was a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. Although Jill is no longer hosting this event, I am continuing to post one soon to be released title each Wednesday that I can't wait to read.

Another favorite ongoing mystery series that I love is written by Linda Castillo.  The main protagonist is Chief of Police Kate Burkholder from Painter's Mill, Ohio, deep in Amish country. This is a unique and interesting series.  I'm excitedly waiting on the 9th book:




Publication Date:  July 11th

Eight years ago Joseph King was convicted of murdering his wife and sentenced to life in prison. He was a "fallen" Amish man and, according to local law enforcement, a known drug user with a violent temper. Now King has escaped, and he’s headed for Painters Mill.

News of a murderer on the loose travels like wildfire and putting Chief of Police Kate Burkholder and her team of officers on edge. A nightmare scenario becomes reality when King shows up with a gun and kidnaps his five children from their Amish uncle’s house. He’s armed and desperate with nothing left to lose.

Fearing for the safety of the children, Kate leaps into action, but her frantic search for a killer leads her into an ambush. When King releases her unharmed, asking her to prove his innocence, she begins to wonder whether the police are hiding something, and she embarks on her own investigation to discover the truth.

18 comments:

  1. I love this series! I think I missed one somewhere along the way, so I need to go back and read that one as well as this new one. I wish Julia Spencer Fleming published her mystery series as regularly as this one does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I decided to listen to Spencer-Fleming's series this year on audio and so I have begun. Am closing in on the ending of IN THE BLEAK MIDWINTER. I'm a couple of books behind on that one. Hoping she has a new one soon!

      Delete
  2. This sounds interesting! Adding it to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the last couple of books in this series have shaken things up a bit. Can't wait to see what's next.

      Delete
  3. This one sounds really good...I love books with "innocent" people wrongly convicted. Sometimes they are really innocent, and other times they are not.

    Thanks for sharing, and I hope you get it soon. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very good series, in my opinion. I was lucky enough to discover it at the beginning and so have just kept up.

      Delete
  4. I've read all the books and look forward to this one too!

    Castillo hits the right balance of respecting the Amish lifestyle without over-glorifying it. It's not a "sweet" view of them, which is a trap that stories about their culture often fall into. They can be brutal, annoying, secretive, guilty... just like any other group of people. I had the pleasure of visiting PA Amish towns several different times and got to visit a working farm and see how the local folk lived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, I've heard some say that this series borders on the 'Murder She Wrote' syndrome - too many crimes and bodies in a small town. I don't mind that though. I like Kate and her crew of policemen. I like Tomasetti. And I find her Amish background brings something different to the table.

      Delete
  5. What a great sounding series, one I haven't read yet but I will be putting on the wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a good series, Cleo. If you ever get a chance...LOL!

      Delete
  6. Oh my! Hard to imagine there could be a murderous Amish man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there definitely are a few people in these books that don't follow the rules.

      Delete
  7. I haven't read any books in this series but it's on my TBR. It sounds really good and I like the whole Amish/fallen Amish contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good series that I've enjoyed since the very first one. I was lucky to get started at the beginning.

      Delete
  8. I like Amish novels, and this sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like Amish mysteries, this is good. It's definitely not a gentle Amish story. LOL

      Delete
  9. I listed to half of one of the books in this series and really liked it. Unfortunately it was due back at the library and I need to check it out again to find out what happened. Seems like a good series to check out from the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good one from the beginning. And, as is normal with series, the characters change.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!