.

.

Friday, March 30, 2018

A Study in Scarlet Women - Sherry Thomas

A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas

First Paragraph(s):

Had anyone told the Honorable Harrington Sackville that the investigation into his death would make the name Sherlock Holmes known throughout the land, Mr. Sackville would have scoffed.
     He had never heard of Sherlock Holmes.  But more importantly, he despised the idea of death.  Of his death, to be precise--others could die as they wished.
     He loathed old age almost as much: that long, vile decline into helplessness halted only by the final breath, falling like a guillotine blade.

My Thoughts:

This is the second book I've listened to about Sherlock Holmes - theme for April for our mystery group.  It's the first book in Sherry Thomas' series and it was very ably read by Kate Reading.  I had heard about this one a while back from other bloggers and thought it would be fun to try.  And, I really liked it.  Plus, I discovered that the author lives here in my area, Austin.  Might have to think about that for the future and the group.

A Study in Scarlet Women turns the Holmes story upside down a bit.  Yes, Sherlock is indeed a woman, Miss Charlotte Holmes, youngest daughter in a family of four daughters (which sounds a little Pride & Prejudice-like).  She is lovely to look at, but she doesn't care about that.  She really likes her treats (food-wise) and is not a 'skinny Minnie'.  Which is OK too.  And her mind - razor sharp, mostly, though she doesn't know everything and does make miscalculations at times.  It was fun watching for the various other 'regular' characters and trying to guess where they might turn up.

I also feel like there was a hat-tip or two to other favorite mystery authors of mine, all older and having been around a long time.  For example, there is a police inspector that is married to a woman that came from a family much higher in society that his (Anne Perry's Thomas Pitt) and there was a character named 'Monk' (again, Anne Perry).  There was mention of policemen riding bicycles as they investigate (Maureen Jennings' Detective Murdoch).  And there was a mention of a 'Curse' and 'Pharoahs' (Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody).  Those were fun.  As I said, this is indeed a series and the 2nd, A Conspiracy in Belgravia, was published last fall.  Can't wait to read it!  If you like Sherlock and a bit of 'girl power', this one is recommended.

Blurb:

With her inquisitive mind, Charlotte Holmes has never felt comfortable with the demureness expected of the fairer sex in upper class society. But even she never thought that she would become a social pariah, an outcast fending for herself on the mean streets of London.

When the city is struck by a trio of unexpected deaths and suspicion falls on her sister and her father, Charlotte is desperate to find the true culprits and clear the family name. She’ll have help from friends new and old—a kind-hearted widow, a police inspector, and a man who has long loved her.

But in the end, it will be up to Charlotte, under the assumed name Sherlock Holmes, to challenge society’s expectations and match wits against an unseen mastermind.

26 comments:

  1. I keep wobbling with this one. How many Holmes series do I really want to have going? LOL Knowing me, I'll cave in sooner or later. Have you read Michelle Birkby's The House at Baker Street? It's the first Mrs. Hudson and Mary Watson mystery, and I loved it. I have the second in the series waiting for me, and I'd be reading it by now if I hadn't miscued with my ARCs. What a knucklehead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read the book you mentioned, but will put it on my list. I've been so immersed in Sherlock for a while, I'll have to take a break. May is Peter May month for the group and so now I'm 'May'-ing. LOL

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed both books in this fun series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading the second one right now and liking it too. And I notice a third will be out in the fall.

      Delete
  3. I love that you caught all of the nods to other characters and I like the idea of a woman Sherlock. I think I've read this author before but it's been a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this author has written some romance and some fantasy. Believe this is her first mystery series.

      Delete
  4. Charlotte sounds like a very fun character! Glad you enjoyed this one, I might have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit lighter in some aspects, but not really so much. There is depth - when we're not being learning about treats with tea time. LOL

      Delete
  5. This book sounds fabulous and has been on my radar screen for some time. After your comments, I'm trying to figure out a way to read it sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a different take on the Holmes theme. And has a lot about women in the Victorian period and how few choices they had.

      Delete
  6. Having read and enjoyed the first two books I'm looking forward to more in the series! Glad to hear you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I understand #3 will be out in the fall.

      Delete
  7. I've heard good things about this series. One of these days I'm going to get around to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another series to look out for. This sounds like both a character-driven and a plot-driven story; which is always a bonus to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the 'twist' on the Sherlock theme.

      Delete
  9. I'm so impressed with this one -- I think it's such a simple change that brings a whole new dimension to Sherlock, and I don't think I've read a bad review of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think it is a clever twist and I'm certainly enjoying the second book in the series too.

      Delete
  10. OMG! I just finished reading the classic version of A Study In Sarlet about three hours ago. I was in a Sherlock mood this week and just felt like going back to that old one. I really am going to have to read this one by Sherry Thomas and see how they compare. Happy Easter, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be a fun comparison, Margot. Happy Easter to you as well!

      Delete
  11. I believe I have a copy of this. It might be an electronic copy, which means I will get to it one day. I was intrigued by the idea of Holmes as a woman, and it sounds like she delivers the premise pretty well. I definitely would not catch the little nods like you did though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm assuming they are little nods. Just seemed like things that a 'mystery lover' would include. I've finished the second book in the series now and liked it just as much!

      Delete
  12. I didn't realize she was a local author. How cool. Maybe we'll get a chance to see her at a BookPeople/Texas Book Festival event! This is another book I have somewhere in my stacks and just haven't gotten to but I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She actually has an event at the Central Library today with their Romance Book Club. Yes, I'd say it's likely she'll have other events.

      Delete
  13. I have this one in audiobook but have yet to listen to it. I hope to get to it at some point. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!