.

.

Friday, March 23, 2018

The Moth Catcher - Ann Cleeves

The Moth Catcher by Ann Cleeves

First Paragraph(s):

Lizzie Redhead listened.  In the prison it was never quiet.  Not even now in the middle of the night.  The other women in her room stirred, snuffling like animals in their sleep.  No cells here.  Dormitories that reminded her of school.  No privacy.  No darkness, either.  A gleam from the corridor outside shone through the crack under the door, and though this was a low-security establishment there were spotlights at the walls and the gate, and the curtains were thin.  Footsteps in the corridor outside.  A screw checking that lass on suicide-watch.  Two in the morning.

My Thoughts:

The Moth Catcher is the 7th book in the DI Vera Stanhope series that's so ably written by Ann Cleeves.  I'm closing in on the final (up to now) book, The Seagull.  I again listened to this book on audio and Janine Birkett repeated her great narration.  This book was interesting and had lots of characters to get to know.  One thing I'll say is that Cleeves always includes information about birds in these books, describing the look of them or the way they sound.  She actually met her husband, Tim, an ornithologist, at the Bird Observatory on Fair Isle where she was working as a cook.  In addition to the birds, here we learn a bit about moths and how they are trapped, photographed and released again.  And we learn about social workers and prisons, among other things.

Vera and her team are a bit confused trying to put all the pieces together and find out how two victims were connected, other than that they are both dead at a country house.  And then another person is killed, a woman who works for a charity that helps offenders reintegrate into society.  There are three retired couples that live near and all of them have secrets.  What those secrets might be and whether they knew any of the victims - well, that's the problem.  I did not guess who the killer was and really didn't have an inkling.  I will say that doesn't often happen to me anymore.  This author does a good job of presenting the clues, but also making them seem insignificant.  The mark of a good crime writer.  I'm ready for the next book!

Blurb:

Life seems perfect in the quiet community of Valley Farm. Then a shocking discovery shatters the silence. The owners of a big country house have employed a house-sitter, a young ecologist, to look after the place while they’re away. But his dead body is found by the side of the lane—a lonely place to die.

When DI Vera Stanhope arrives on the scene, she finds the body of a second man. What the two victims seem to have in common is a fascination with studying moths—and with catching these beautiful, intriguing creatures.

The others who live in Valley Farm have secrets too: Lorraine’s calm demeanor belies a more complex personality; Annie and Sam’s daughter, Lizzie, is due to be released from prison; and Nigel watches, silently, every day, from his window. As Vera is drawn into the claustrophobic world of this increasingly strange community, she realizes that there may be many deadly secrets trapped there . . .

20 comments:

  1. I really liked this one. Cleeve's has a way of making even her minor characters genuine. My only complaint is that this one has so many disparaging comments about Vera's appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about the comments regarding Vera's appearance. They bug me too. I'm just trying to ignore them. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. You are moving through this series fast. It has been a long time since I read a lot of books by one author or in a series back to back.

    I loved the Shetland series book that was set at a bird observatory on Fair Isle. It makes me want to go back and read the series she wrote about a couple that were birdwatchers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any of the Shetland books yet, but I've watched the TV adaptations. Really liked those. And I know what you mean about the birdwatcher series. I've thought about that too. I'm through with the Vera series now except for one book that isn't available on audio.

      Delete
  3. I would like to give this series a try at some point. I love it when a mystery author surprises me. Like for you, it isn't often that it happens any more. I still love my mysteries though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm used to figuring out the solution most of the time, but it doesn't bother me. The puzzle is the fun for me anyway.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great series. I haven't read anything by her yet. (I always think of Henry VIII's 4th wife when I see her name.) The opening paragraph grabs you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten about Henry's wife - ha! I've enjoyed all these Vera books. Perhaps later in the year, I want to start her Shetland series.

      Delete
  5. I've had this author on my TBR list for way too long. Does she have two separate series? I feel like she might but I could be wrong. I sure can't think of the title of that first book that is on my TBR list right now. LOL! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she does have two current series and has written two more (I think) that are complete. The other series is the Shetland series and the first book is Raven Black. It's also been filmed and is on Netflix.

      Delete
  6. I think she may be a bit too creepy for me. I watch Vera, but sometimes the darkness of it gets to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She might be a little dark, though I think the music and atmosphere of the TV series is darker than the books.

      Delete
    2. That is very interesting. Somehow I thought the books would be creepier. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
    3. They don't seem so much to me, but I know my tolerance is a little 'tougher' than yours. :-)

      Delete
  7. I really want to try this series! I watched a show based around one of Ann Cleeves' series but the Vera Stanhope is really calling me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have certainly enjoyed it. Now I need to read the Shetland series.

      Delete
    2. I really love the Shetland series, though there was quite a difficult episode to watch about one of the police.

      Delete
    3. I think I remember that one. I've watched all the Shetland episodes that are available to me right now.

      Delete
  8. Kay, I'm intrigued by The Moth Catcher; sounds creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit creepy, but it was finding out about all the secrets. I love that. ;-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!