.

.

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Telling Tales - Ann Cleeves

Telling Tales by Ann Cleeves

First Paragraph(s):

Sitting at the bedroom window, Emma looks out at the night-time square.  The wind rattles a roof tile and hisses out from the churchyard, spitting a Coke can onto the street.  There was a gale the afternoon Abigail Mantel died and it seems to Emma that it's been windy ever since, that there have been ten years of storms, of hailstones like bullets blown against her windows and trees ripped from the earth by their roots.  It must be true at least since the baby was born.  Since then, whenever she wakes at night--to feed the baby or when James comes in late from work--the noise of the wind is there, rolling round her head like the sound of a seashell when you hold it to your ear.

My Thoughts:

This is the second book in Ann Cleeves' series featuring Inspector Vera Stanhope and her assistant, Sergeant Joe Ashworth.  I listened to this one on audio and it was ably narrated by Julia Franklin.  Audio was a good way to go for Telling Tales.  It's not a thrill-a-minute book, but a clever police procedural.  I was really caught up in the story of Vera and Joe, out of their usual patch, there to figure out what had happened 10 years before when an innocent woman was charged with murder.  Jeanie Long did not kill Abigail Mantel.  New evidence has proven it.  However, it's come too late as Jeanie has died in prison.  Vera, looking like her usual disheveled self, talks with everyone connected to the case and eventually the solution becomes clear.  Before that happens, another person is killed and some secrets are revealed.  I'm really loving these characters and this series.  Can't wait to move on to the next book, Hidden Depths.  Have you watched the TV adaptation, Vera?  I've watched a couple of episodes, but I've decided to read the books and watch later.  What do you think if you've seen it? 

Blurb:

It has been ten years since Jeanie Long was charged with the murder of fifteen-year-old Abigail Mantel. Now residents of the East Yorkshire village of Elvet are disturbed to hear of new evidence proving Jeanie’s innocence. Abigail’s killer is still at large.

For one young woman, Emma Bennett, the revelation brings back haunting memories of her vibrant best friend--and of that fearful winter’s day when she had discovered her body lying cold in a ditch.

As Inspector Vera Stanhope makes fresh enquiries on the peninsula and villagers are hauled back to a time they hoped to forget, tensions begin to mount. But are people afraid of the killer or of their own guilty pasts?

With each person’s story revisited, the Inspector begins to suspect that some deadly secrets are threatening to unfurl…

24 comments:

  1. I am still trying to figure out if this is my cup of tea, but I wonder if listening to it might make me appreciate Cleeves and Vera more -- great suggestions and review, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listening to the books might be a good choice for you. Try it, but if it doesn't work there are always so many other books to sample, right?

      Delete
  2. I've heard of the TV series Vera but didn't know it was based on books. I don't pay much attention to the endless crime dramas that appear on British TV! The last one I watched and enjoyed was Whitechapel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've watched part of Whitechapel. We liked it pretty well. Yes, Ann Cleeves has had two of her series adapted for TV - Vera and Shetland.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of the books or seen the series but they sound like something I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not thrillers, but solid crime novels. I like Vera, though she has rough edges. LOL

      Delete
  4. I really want to read Ann Cleeves. We watched Shetland on Netflix last year which are based off her books and really enjoyed it. It really made me want to read the series and I've heard great things about the Vera Stanhope series. I'll see if I can get the audio on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, the first book is The Crow Trap, but I don't think it really matters that much to start at the beginning. They were filmed out of order, with non-book episodes included. And each book can stand on its own.

      Delete
  5. I've enjoyed all of the Ann Cleeves books that I've read, and I love the Vera Stanhope series. I haven't wanted to watch the television series because the characters from the books are so much in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm trying to read all these because Brenda Blethyn (who plays Vera on TV) will be at the Malice Domestic mystery convention at the end of April. And I'll be there too. Can't wait.

      Delete
  6. I love Vera - both the written character and the actress' version. I'm grateful that Ann Cleeves went outside the normal stereotype for her female detective. Vera is almost a curmudgeon at time and I really enjoy that. I'm glad the book was a good listen for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely having a good time with them, Margot. Trying to get them listened to (except one which isn't available on audio to me) before the end of April. See my response to Jenclair above. LOL

      Delete
  7. I do like this Vera series, Ann Cleeves is an engaging storyteller even if it isn’t action packed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, sometimes there is action - it's just not a thrill a minute type scenario. And yes, I agree that Ann Cleeves can tell a good story.

      Delete
  8. I've not watched the series but should add it to our viewing radar given how many British crime series I enjoy. I also found out her Shetland series has also been turned into a tv show! It's hard to keep up with so many things right? Oh but back to this book... I need to read this series one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Shetland TV series is very good. We've watched all the episodes available, though I think there is a new season. I haven't read any of the Shetland books yet.

      Delete
  9. I still haven't read any of the books but have watched a few of the TV episodes. I think they're very good - Brenda Blethyn has always been a favourite of mine, and she gives a great performance, though of course I have no way of knowing how accurate she is to the Vera in the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard Ann Cleeves say that she was delighted when Brenda agreed to play Vera and from the 2 episodes I've seen, I agree. She does a good job making herself into not-so-likeable Vera.

      Delete
  10. I enjoy Ann Cleeves' books, so I'll definitely read this one eventually. I'm still making my way through the Jimmy Perez series, THEN I'll move on to the Vera books. I love it when an author I enjoy has a bunch of books I haven't read -- gives me something to look forward to, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I haven't read the Shetland/Perez books yet. I'll get to them. I have watched the TV adaptations of those.

      Delete
  11. I haven't read any of the book, but like you I think I want to before watching the show. I've seen two (maybe three) episodes and while I like Brenda Blethyn, Vera can be a little annoying. My husband was in the other room while I was watching and he later asked what all the yelling was about. I told him that's just Vera. ;) How wonderful that you get to see Brenda Blethyn in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vera is definitely a character. I think that Brenda seems to do a good job portraying her.

      Delete
  12. I read this one in the last year and enjoyed it a lot. I too am eager to get to Hidden Depths. Once I read that one I am going to watch some of the Vera episodes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!