.

.

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

First Chapter First Paragraph - News Of The World



I am linking up with Vicki @ I’d Rather Be At The Beach who hosts a meme every Tuesday to share the First Chapter First Paragraph or two of the book you are currently reading or plan to read soon.

The book I'm sharing this week is one that I actually finished reading last week.  I'm discussing it with our afternoon book group today and I'm looking forward to talking about it and hearing what others in the group thought.  It's set in Texas in 1870 and includes a lot of places and descriptions that are very familiar to me.  If you look to the end of this post, there is a picture of the Kerrville area of the Texas Hill Country.  Captain Kidd and Johanna traveled through a similar setting.  Here's a bit about:



First Paragraph(s):

Wichita Falls, Texas Winter 1870

Captain Kidd laid out the Boston Morning Journal on the lectern and began to read from the article on the Fifteenth Amendment.  He had been born in 1798 and the third war of his lifetime had ended five years ago and he hoped never to see another but now the news of the world aged him more than time itself.  Still he stayed his rounds, even during the cold spring rains.  He had been at one time a printer but the war had taken his press and everything else, the economy of the Confederacy had fallen apart even before the surrender and so he now made his living in this drifting from one town to another in North Texas with his newspapers and journals in a waterproof portfolio and his coat collar turned up against the weather.  He rode a very good horse and was concerned that someone might try to take the horse from him but so far so good.  So he had arrived in Wichita Falls on February 26 and tacked up his posters and put on his reading clothes in the stable.  There was a hard rain outside and it was noisy but he had a good strong voice.

Blurb:

In the wake of the Civil War, Captain Jefferson Kyle Kidd travels through northern Texas, giving live readings from newspapers to paying audiences hungry for news of the world. An elderly widower who has lived through three wars and fought in two of them, the captain enjoys his rootless, solitary existence.

In Wichita Falls, he is offered a $50 gold piece to deliver a young orphan to her relatives in San Antonio. Four years earlier, a band of Kiowa raiders killed Johanna’s parents and sister; sparing the little girl, they raised her as one of their own. Recently rescued by the U.S. army, the ten-year-old has once again been torn away from the only home she knows.

Their 400-mile journey south through unsettled territory and unforgiving terrain proves difficult and at times dangerous. Johanna has forgotten the English language, tries to escape at every opportunity, throws away her shoes, and refuses to act “civilized.” Yet as the miles pass, the two lonely survivors tentatively begin to trust each other, forming a bond that marks the difference between life and death in this treacherous land.

Arriving in San Antonio, the reunion is neither happy nor welcome. The captain must hand Johanna over to an aunt and uncle she does not remember—strangers who regard her as an unwanted burden. A respectable man, Captain Kidd is faced with a terrible choice: abandon the girl to her fate or become—in the eyes of the law—a kidnapper himself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

News Of The World was a National Book Award Finalist a couple of years ago.  It's a spare story, but an absorbing one.  Have you read this book?  Have you visited the Texas Hill Country and towns west of Austin and San Antonio?  Towns like Fredericksburg and Kerrville and Llano and Lampasas?  Would you keep reading?  In case you can't tell, I liked this book very much and it is recommended!



37 comments:

  1. Hope you have a great discussion. I do like when I read a book with familiar places.

    Here's my pick:http://bibliophilebythesea.blogspot.com/2019/02/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday_19.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The discussion was very good. Think we all liked it, but others learned so much about Texas that they hadn't known.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this one, but the excerpt sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jiles. I think she is such an underrated writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the book group members felt the same way, Jill.

      Delete
  4. I've heard good things about this one, but I haven't read it yet. It's definitely on my list. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it. And the praise is well deserved or so it seemed to me. I loved recognizing most of the locations.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a well-written and researched historical novel. It should spark a fascinating discussion. As an aside, I really relate to Kidd's observation that the news of the world is aging him...same here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very good discussion. The group member that led it had really done her research and brought up many things that I hadn't thought of. Plus several in the group knew very little about Texas during that time period.

      Delete
  6. Love that first paragraph and the blurb! Yes, I've been to Austin, San Antonio, and I love to visit Fredericksburg. I really want this book now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do need to read this one, Jenclair. The book isn't all that long, but Jiles packs a lot into a shorter book.

      Delete
  7. I am intrigued by the journey and the primary character. It has been a long while since I read historical fiction. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good, Laurel, and I think everyone in the group liked it.

      Delete
  8. I never read this author but I've seen this cover on Goodreads as it was mentioned often in the historical fiction genre. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was very popular a couple of years ago.

      Delete
  9. Lots of new to me authors today. I'm usually not a fan of this genre, but the intro was interesting so I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like historical fiction. May give this a try.
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle, this book is only a little over 200 pages. The audio is not that long either. I think everyone in the group liked it. Really good discussion.

      Delete
  11. I imagine this is a fascinating read for those interested in this part of history and it gets off to a strong start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was quite good and many in the group learned a lot about Texas at that time period.

      Delete
  12. Oh, I really liked this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I've read it (twice!) and loved it, as did my book group. Yes, I've been to the Hill Country and thought of you as soon as I read this book. So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have really enjoyed the discussion, Les. I talked about your recent review and showed the cover of the book. I saw that the library had copies and so several noted the title and author. Oh, and this was funny, I came into the library and stopped for second to see what was on the book shelf that are donated books for sale (to benefit the library). What book do you suppose I laid my hands on right away - THESE IS MY WORDS - funny, right? I took that on into the meeting too and told the group it was very good too.

      Delete
    2. Oh, how I wish I lived closer so I could join your book group, Kay! What a coincidence to see These Is My Words on the shelf. :)

      Delete
  14. I have to say the writing of the first paragraph is not very enticing to me, BUT I have heard a lot about this book, and it sounds worth it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised how much I like it, Emma. And our discussion with the group was very good.

      Delete
  15. I like the premise of the novel and would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this book & that opening was one that really drew me in and gave me a good feel for the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did. Truly.

      Delete
  17. My mom loved this book and gave me her copy--which still sits here unread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll pick it up one day and when you do, I hope you have a good experience.

      Delete
  18. It's not a time period I usually read, but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really should read this one! I love the Texas Hill Country. So many interesting little towns to check out. The last time I was in Fredericksburg a few years ago I couldn't believe how many wineries were around. Need to go back and check out some of them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!