.

.

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Another month goes by...

Hello book friends!  I'm checking in to say that February has passed and we're now into March.  Can you believe it?  I hoped to have a flower picture or two to show, but it's pouring rain outside this morning and I haven't seen many spring flowers yet.  They are coming though.  I know they are.



February was a good month for me with lots of walking and listening to audiobooks.  I've been rereading a bunch of things so I don't have many to share.  I'll talk a bit about American Dirt below and tell what little there was about our afternoon book group's 'Oprah' connection.  Tonight is our monthly mystery book group meeting and we're discussing Jane Harper's latest, The Lost Man.  I liked it OK, but I liked her previous two books featuring Aaron Falk better.  I'm hoping she gets back to those.  I also couldn't wait for Elly Griffiths' new Ruth Galloway mystery, The Lantern Men, and ordered it from 'across the pond'.  Read it and also liked it a lot, though it won't be one of my favorites.  It seems a sort of transition book.  As always, now begins the wait for the next one.



Our book group discussion of American Dirt was quite interesting and the moderator did an excellent job of keeping the ball rolling around the 32 people that attended.  That group normally has between 18-22 people at most.  Because of the controversy and Oprah connection, the meeting room was full.  She and I had talked about possibly dividing into two groups if necessary and she asked if I'd be willing to handle discussion for one of the groups.  I agreed, but privately hoped I wouldn't have to do that.  It turned out that 7 of the people attending hadn't read the book or ever attended the group (it's a library program so people come and go as they like).  They were just curious and understandably so.  We remained in one big group.

As to the sharing part, some loved it, some really hated it, and some were kind of 'meh'.  I came in between 'meh' and liking it.  Honestly, I thought the author tried to do too many things in the book.  Was it a thriller or was it a commentary on society?  My heart broke for the children and young women in the story.  I also thought the publisher didn't handle the publicity at all well.  However, in the end, I was glad that I tried it.  The Oprah aspect of our group's inclusion pretty much amounted to most of us getting a free copy of the book.  Ha!

-----------------------------------------------------

As I said above, lots of walking for me.  I'm back on track with my movement and my eating.  And that means that I'm sitting less and checking in here and on your blogs less frequently.  I don't see that changing for now.  I'll try to at least do a post here monthly and comment around now and then.  Here's to a great spring!  Oh, and remember to practice good hygiene in public.  Too many germs floating around, right?  It's OK to be a bit of a germ-o-phobe now and then.  Ha! 

23 comments:

  1. I agree on American Dirt - it was fast paced but wasn't particularly well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was what a couple of the group members shared in the discussion. It was a good meeting and a good book to discuss. Lots of back and forth. Ha!

      Delete
  2. I really liked American Dirt but agree that the publisher didn't handle all the controversy well. I 'd like to read fiction on the topic (or NF) by someone who walked the walk.

    We've had a super mild winter just one major snowfall - odd for sure. It was 62 yesterday too. Enjoy your spring Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I remember that you liked the book. The group talked about whether the controversy about it would spur publishers to expand their selection of books that were written by people who had a more intimate viewpoint of the topics included. One can hope so.

      Delete
  3. March started off with snow where I live, but it feels like spring today. Which makes me very happy. All the controversy surrounding American Dirt certainly has made it a popular read right now. I'm still not sure if I want to read it, or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, I think a lot of people feel the same as you - on the fence about reading it. Interestingly, the library staff were not interested. It's always fun for me to query them and get their personal opinions on various things. Yes, spring will come - sooner for me than you though. Sorry!

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear about your month, Kay, and thanks for sharing that information about American Dirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really want to go into details about all the controversies regarding the book, but I did want to update what I had initially shared. There are lots of places to read articles regarding the issues this book has highlighted. And now on to a 'nice' crime novel. Ha!

      Delete
  5. I've not been reading or blogging as much as previously either - sometimes life just gets in the way! I loved The Lost Man and Force of Nature. I keep meaning to read her first book, The Dry, but I keep getting side tracked by other books - ha! And, yes!! far too many germs floating around here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Margaret, you should try The Dry. I really liked it. Our discussion of The Lost Man last night was a good one. Turns out Jane Harper is working on a 4th book that will be a standalone set in Tasmania.

      Delete
  6. I've been curious about American Dirt so thanks for sharing your thoughts, Kay. I haven't read The Lost Man and like you, I'm hoping she'll have a new Aaron Falk book out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, we had a really good discussion of The Lost Man yesterday and our group had a number of very interesting opinions about the issues it raised. Apparently, Jane Harper is writing another standalone book, set in Tasmania this time.

      Delete
  7. Nice to see you here, Kay. I've just finished Elly Griffiths's The Stone Circle, the book before The Lantern Men. They had the first chapter of the new book at the end, so I read it and 'Goodness me', I had a surprise. I did not expect *that* development! Wow.

    I've been following some of the American Dirt saga on Sam's (Book Chase) blog, so it was interesting to hear your take on it.

    Enjoy your spring too, I intend to become more active once this rain ceases - February was the wettest month on record here and March is more of the same. And yes! good hygiene required at the moment. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, I wanted to update regarding American Dirt, but I didn't really want to go deeply into the many issues that this book has brought forth. And the issues that other people have written articles about. Lots of places to read about those. We did discuss a lot of things and the sad place our world often is regarding treatment of other humans. Sigh. As to The Lantern Men, I'll be curious what you think about it. Yes, started out a bit differently than previous books. Enjoy your spring when it does arrive!

      Delete
  8. 32 people at that book club?! Wow. Good discussion on The Lost Man. I didn't catch the link to The Dry. See you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kay! It is crazy that it's March already and hopefully things will be a bit dryer for the rest of year. We are drowning over here! I think I'm going to give American Dirt some serious space. I just don't have the energy to deal with all the issues! I do really want to try Jane Harper though. The Dry is still high up on my TBR so hopefully this is the year it'll get read. Have a happy March!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still planning to read The Lost Man, but just haven't gotten to it yet. Mom and Rod both enjoyed it, as I recall. I wonder if Harper is working on another with Falk. I really liked those two earlier books. I'm way behind on the Ruth Galloway books, but will return to them once I finish with Louise Penny's books. Agh! So many series to keep up on!

    You had quite a large group for the American Dirt discussion. I wonder how many will show up at our meeting when we talk about it. I think that's in December... I think some of the best discussions are when the opinions are divided. If everyone loves it, it's difficult to have a lengthy, involved discussion.

    I'm looking forward to warmer/drier weather so I can get back to my walking. I'm playing pickleball three times a week (and yoga two times), but I'm feeling like I need to do something every day in order to eat as I like. Spring weather is just around the corner here.

    Yes, to the hand-washing!! I've always been a bit obsessive about that, having worked in retail for so many years. Now to get the rest of the household on board. I'm looking at my husband. ;) I'm thankful we're not flying anywhere anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sister absolutely loves Jane Harper! I still need to get to the second Aaron Falk book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Jane Harper but haven't read this one yet. I love the Aaron Falk books. I decided against American Dirt, but my curiosity may win over at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All the controversy makes me not even want to read AMERICAN DIRT. I was already on the fence before all the brouhaha - I think I'll wait until it boils down to the give the book a go.

    I need to get back to the Ruth Galloway series. It's been too long! I have A ROOM FULL OF BONES out from the library right now. Maybe I'll get to it next.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We just chose American Dirt for our April book group. Have fun walking, we've had a month of sickness around here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm excited about March and Spring and all the promises they bring. Just hope the Covid-19 cases reduce and go away. It's scary enough not knowing what could happen. Having to rethink every plan is no fun. And kids don't get it so they are all over germy places like they have no cares in the world. Hope you have a fun March - if you do get to post something occasionally, we'll be here to read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad to hear the book discussion went well. I'll probably check out the book and will try to keep an open mind. Hoping you are doing well. Crazy what is going on in the world right? I think turning to the outdoors and books is what's going to keep us sane in these trying times.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!