.

.

Friday, March 27, 2020

How about some cupcake pictures and a cozy mystery series to go along with them?

I've shared pictures of flowers of all kinds and also talked about some comfort reads.  I decided today to talk about Jenn McKinlay's cupcake bakery mystery series and also once again share cupcake pictures.  I'll keep it short, but let me tell you, if my daughter has her baker's hat on (as opposed to her nurse's hat), she can create some ultra-yummy treats.  First the mystery series:


Jenn McKinlay is an amazingly prolific author.  She has written several mystery series and now some standalones.  She's a former librarian.  She's got a husband and kids.  And she lives in Phoenix, Arizona.  The only mystery series I've read of hers so far is her cupcake bakery series.  It's set in Old Town Scottsdale and stars two friends, Angie DeLaura and Melanie Cooper.  These ladies own Fairy Tale Cupcakes, partially because of help from another friend, Tate Harper.

In the first book, Sprinkle With Murder, Tate's fiance is murdered.  She was sort of a bridezilla and was actually found dead with one of Angie and Melanie's sample cupcakes.  Hijinks ensue and both the cupcake ladies are suspected of the crime.  Angie has several brothers and so family plays a part.  Angie, Melanie and Tate have been friends since they were kids.  Everyone has an opinion.  Oh, and there is also a 'crazy as a loon' woman who is their competition.  Always fun to see her.

There are now 11 books in this series and the newest will come out in late April, Pumpkin Spice Peril.  So, if you're thinking that a little sweetness would go along well with your murder, you might try one of these books.  They are fun!

--------------------------------------------------------

Also, just for fun, here are some of the cupcakes my daughter has created for friends and family over the last few years.  Believe me, they are tasty!  Enjoy and please take care!


Chocolate cupcake with Vanilla Buttercream
 frosting and fondant flower


Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes


Peppermint Hot Cocoa cupcake


Butter Pecan Praline cupcakes


Valentine's cupcakes


Red Velvet cupcakes
 with Cream Cheese frosting

24 comments:

  1. How sweet (bad pun intended). Now I’m hungry for cake though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That was my intention! Loved the pun.

      Delete
  2. I'd eat any and all of those cupcakes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a delicious read (pun intended). And your daughter's cupcakes look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are and the read is fun - plus recipes as I recall.

      Delete
  4. Yes those cupcakes are works of art and I am wondering if I have ingredients to make any baked goods. hmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle, I think you have actually had a chance to try one of them. Seems like I brought some of them to a mystery group meeting.

      Delete
  5. Now I'm hungry for something pretty and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This series is so fun though it always makes me want to binge eat cupcakes! My cupcakes don't look nearly as pretty as your daughter's though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my cupcakes don't look like that either. Well, I don't actually bake them anymore. Why would I? Hers are more fun and better tasting. LOL

      Delete
  7. The cupcakes look wonderful, how talented your daughter is. I fancy the pecan praline ones.

    I seem to be reacting to the lockdown by buying any book I want for my Kindle. It seems to me I might just as well. Just started Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger, think I'm going to like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do like Iron Lake, Cath. Yes, I keep picking up new books for my Kindle too and thinking that I'll get to them at some point. It's something to do, right? Oh, the pecan praline cupcakes are delicious. The topping is actual crumbled pecan pralines from our part of the world - lots of pecan trees here.

      Delete
  8. I've never read anything by McKinlay. I definitely need to give her a go.

    Those are gorgeous cupcakes your daughter made. Yum! Now I want something sweet ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, she's from your part of the world, but I'm sure you know that. Yes, pretty cupcakes. She got her baking talent from her paternal grandmother I think. My husband's mother still decorates cakes now and again.

      Delete
  9. Lovely thoughts and images Kay; now, I want cupcakes LOL

    Stay Safe my Friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane, and we're trying to stay in and safe. I do know that we have a lot more space to move around in our area than many do. Makes my walks easy to be solitary. Wish I could send you a cupcake, but I cannot....sorry. LOL

      Delete
  10. Wow, your daughter is so talented! The decorations alone are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! She is pretty good at cupcake stuff. She's taken several classes on how to do all that.

      Delete
  11. I'll take a dozen Butter Pecan Praline cupcakes, thankyouverymuch! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...might have to put that on backorder for now - ha!

      Delete
  12. Wow! Those are beautiful. She's very talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is indeed. And did not get this from me. I've helped her do large amounts of them in the past and I mostly put the little paper cups into the pans, wash things, and she lets me sprinkle topping on. LOL

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!