.

.

Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Asheville, NC Vacation - Part 1 - Biltmore Estate


We recently returned from a trip to Asheville, North Carolina, and this is the first of five posts where I'll share a bit of what we saw and learned in this 'new-to-us' part of the country.  As you probably know, the house pictured here is the Biltmore Estate.  It was built in 1895, I believe, and it's really grand.  It was owned by George and Edith Vanderbilt.  We stayed at the Inn on the Biltmore property and had a package that included an early morning tour with a guide and a very limited number of people.  For us, that meant arriving before the Biltmore was open to others in the public.  Our tour was conducted by a very knowledgeable young woman and included one other couple and us.  Perfect!  We were warned that there would be a lot of stairs (over 300) and a lot of standing (which there was), but it was very, very interesting.  Our guide told us that she was from the Asheville area and that she had first visited the Biltmore when she was 12 years old.  She said she knew right then that she wanted to work there.  As I said, she gave a great tour.

I'm going to share several pictures below, but not write a lot of commentary.  Today's pictures will show some of the more formal rooms and family bedrooms and tomorrow, I'll show the activity/exercise areas and the staff quarters.  Plus I'll give a couple of pictures from the area of our hotel and also a bit about the 'Monet & Friends' exhibit that we saw the second day we were at the Biltmore.  Hope you enjoy my little 'tour'.


The lion outside the Biltmore House.  We wandered around a bit as we were waiting for our tour to begin.

This is the beautiful entry area at the Biltmore House.  Light and greenery abound.  As we began our tour, our guide told us that each room has a different type of ceiling.

I took a picture of the ceiling here in order to illustrate that our guide was correct.  Every room was different.


This is the major dining room and I'm not sure how many could be seated at this table (expanded).  There are 25 chairs at the table in this picture.  Maybe 60 or so to the full extension.  The dining room was massive and gorgeous.  


The organ loft in the dining room.  We were able to visit that loft toward the end of our tour.  There is an organ there now and it plays throughout the day.  The view from that balcony was just 'wow!'.

A smaller dining room that was used as a breakfast area for single visitors, both male and female.  Married people had breakfast in their guest rooms, but apparently, Mrs. Vanderbilt was something of a matchmaker.  Unmarried guests could chat together here with all propriety.  

This is a shot of the library.  It was massive and amazing.  I've forgotten how many thousands of books the guide said are in the Biltmore.  Not all are in the library.  Books are everywhere.  

Another shot in the library.  I tried not stand on my head trying to see all the titles!  Ha!

George Vanderbilt's bedroom, the largest bedroom in the house.  It was indeed massive and made that bed look very small.

This was a hidden closet door off to the side of the bed in Mr. Vanderbilt's bedroom.  It was one of many 'hidden' rooms that were found all over the house.  

Edith Vanderbilt's bedroom was not quite as large as George's.  Beautiful though.  There was a family sitting room between their two rooms.

I show this picture as an example of  a guest room for unmarried female guests.  There was a private bathroom off each guest room and also a sitting area with a desk.  Those beds looked very short to me though.  

----------------------------------------------------------

I had many more pictures of the tour, but can't post all of them.  Way, way too many.  This gives you a glimpse of the 'upstairs' part of the house.  Tomorrow's post will show the staff areas and exercise rooms.  Just think of how many people it would take to keep this Estate running.  So many.... 

20 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the next post. This reminds me of my own tour of the Biltmore when I took some time off from the training sessions I was running to go there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So were you running sessions in Asheville or another part of NC? I think many people have visited this place or so it seems. Popular destination.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing these, Kay. Fascinating. Is Anderson Cooper a Vanderbilt, or have I got that wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, I was glad to share some of what I saw. Yes, Anderson Cooper is Gloria Vanderbilt's son and George Vanderbilt was an uncle or cousin or something to Gloria. A big family.

      Delete
  3. You got some great photos, Kay. I love the entryway and the next photo with the fancy ceiling. Huge, huge rooms. I can't imagine trying to keep the place running? Staff rooms will be interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was hard to try to give a sense of how massive the rooms were. Pointing at the ceiling to take pictures was a little dizzying actually. As to keeping that estate running - I think they employed a lot of the people in the region for some task or another. Even the amount of furniture required was just astounding.

      Delete
  4. Looks like an awesome place to visit Kay, keep the pictures coming.

    If you ever get back to New England, put Newport, Rhode Island's gilded age mansions on your list. I think you would enjoy it.

    https://www.newportmansions.org/explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I just discovered this comment, Diane. Anyway, I'll keep your suggestion in mind. You never know where we might be able to travel. And I think I would enjoy the mansions you mentioned. :-)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos! I've always wanted to visit the Biltmore but never had time while in NC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, if you ever get a chance do try to visit. I don't know that I'd go again - once is probably enough - but, it was a really fun experience.

      Delete
  6. Wow it's gorgeous and so grand. I'm so glad for your tour. I hope to get to Asheville someday and see it. Enjoy your time in Asheville.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing photos! I would love to go back someday. I love touring homes like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really glad that we decided to go, Angela.

      Delete
  8. Wow. I have heart of the Biltmore of course. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We went to Asheville on our honeymoon 19+ years ago and I have so wanted to go back. The Biltmore has to be seen to believed but your pictures are fantastic! You've really got me wanting to book a trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Katherine, that's sweet that you guys went to Asheville for your honeymoon. Maybe you'll be able to go back in a few years. :-)

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad you shared all of these photos. I've always wanted to visit The Biltmore, but haven't had the chance. The pipe organ and library are fantastic. You really had a great tour, didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had more pictures, but one can only post so many. Ha! It was a great tour. Our guide was exceptional. Very interesting and she kept sharing 'secret' tidbits (or so she said). I don't know that we'll go back to Asheville, but we were really glad that we went there as a substitute for Oregon (the original plan). OR will come next year. Hopefully - ha!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!