.

.

Thursday, June 23, 2022

Asheville, NC Vacation - Part 2 - Biltmore Estate and Monet

Welcome to my second post about our recent trip to Asheville, NC.  I'm going to begin today by showing two pictures of the area around our hotel, The Inn at Biltmore Estate.  There were some walking trails that wound around the hotel and I think I mentioned that it was green and lush there.  As you can see in the first picture, a shower had just occurred.  Beautiful vistas.



-----------------------------------------------------------

In the next pictures, we'll resume our tour of the actual Biltmore Estate.  I mentioned that I'll be showing the activity/exercise section of the house and also the staff rooms.  Those exercise rooms were below ground, down, down, down the stairs.  


This is the bowling alley that was created for the Vanderbilts and their guests.  I guess bowling was popular way back and it looks pretty 'normal', right?  Ha!


Here is the underground swimming pool - no water included.  Apparently, it has a crack or leak somewhere and so has not been filled with water for many, many years.  We also saw the dressing rooms for the family and guests to don their swimsuits.  The men had the ones that look like shorts and t-shirts.  The women - those dresses and long sleeves and leggings and even foot coverings.  It was considered improper for women to even show their bare feet.  Amazing that more of them didn't drown with all those clothes on.  


A picture of the 'workout' room.  It was funny that many workout tools and gadgets are much the same today.  The rowing machine to the left isn't much different.  The two shower looking things in the background were apparently 'needle' showers that were supposed to stimulate the skin as a person was pummeled with water.  Health was a big concern and people came to the mountains to get fresh air and breathe well and recover from illness.


This is the kitchen where all the food was prepared.  It wasn't actually all that large and looked sort of normal.  


An electric 'dumbwaiter' to carry the food to the upstairs dining rooms.  There was another 'hand cranked' one on the other side of the room.  Guess the electric didn't always work.


The staff dining room.  Looks very 'Downton Abbey' doesn't it?  Obviously not all the staff could eat at the same time.  I imagine there were more than 10 of them (the number of chairs).


This is part of the laundry area.  Washing, drying, ironing, etc.  Lots of work done here.

And that's all the Biltmore Estate tour.  There were gardens, of course, but I didn't take all that many pictures.  We had reservations for lunch at the Stable Cafe and one didn't want to be late.  You had to have reservations for everything - lots of people.  The Stable Cafe was created out the former stables.  Instead of horse stalls - there were booths.  It was kind of fun. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last thing I'm going to share here is a bit of the 'Monet' exhibit that was part of our package  It was called 'Monet & Friends -- Life, Light & Color'.  and was located at another part of the estate.  They have art and music exhibitions at this center often.  There weren't actual Monet paintings, but there was a sort of 'show' that you attended with visual, audio, and even smells.  You can click through and read about it if you like.  I didn't take a lot of pictures (don't think you were really supposed to).  You went in, sat, and listened.  So beautiful!
 





--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be back next week with three more posts about Asheville.  The first two will show the second place we stayed, the Omni Grove Park Inn.  I'll show some of the crafts we saw at a shopping/craft section of that area and I'll have a post telling more about the history of the Grove Park Inn.  Lastly, I'll have a post about two bookstores that I visited.  Thanks for coming by and taking a look here!

22 comments:

  1. Looks like you're having a great trip! I love the nature pictures. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a great trip. Yes, I could have taken a million pictures of the lovely scenery.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tour! I love visiting historic homes but haven't made it to this one.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, it was a quite interesting indeed. I don't know that I'd go again, but I was certainly glad we decided to try it.

      Delete
  3. Love the photos, thanks for posting them for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being stuck here at home, I'm living vicariously through these posts of yours, Kay. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying them, Cathy. I think you'll like what I share next week with another historic hotel. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the tour. Very interesting. I've always wanted to go to Asheville and the Thomas Wolfe house. See it if you can for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did not get to see the Thomas Wolfe House. Sorry about that. However, we did stay at another historic hotel that I'll talk about next week.

      Delete
  6. The grounds are beautiful - I would love to wake up to that view every day! And with a library, gym, pool, etc. - you'd never have to leave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - they had everything right at their fingertips. Guess that was the point. LOL

      Delete
  7. It is such a gorgeous place, Kay. Asheville is a lovely city. I live an hour over the mountains from there in Tennessee and we do day trips there periodically. We’ve done Biltmore a couple times. How great you got a personal tour before it opened! It is always crowded. My young grandson read a series of books set at Biltmore and wanted to go there one summer he was here. It really made the books come alive for him. And while he was here the author was signing the new book at an Asheville bookstore and he got to meet him and get his book signed. The Monet art was a real treat! Looking forward to the Grove Park Inn, haven’t been there yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great story about your grandson! Nice to hear that you guys get to visit there now and then. The Grove Park Inn was a lot of fun and I spent quite a bit of time wandering around and checking things out.

      Delete
  8. The Monet exhibit looks fantastic and I loved seeing more of the Biltmore. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the below stairs portions especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Monet event was very unique. Never seen anything like it. Yes, the below stairs was quite fun.

      Delete
  9. What gorgeous grounds! I would love to spend an hour or so walking those hills. The Monet event sounds/looks like it was a great experience. Thanks for sharing the highlights of your trip with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I was able to share a few pictures. We definitely had a good time.

      Delete
  10. Reading these last two posts brought back memories from our two visits to The Biltmore. The first time we saw a Downton Abbey exhibit and Chihuly glass sculptures the second... both were amazing. The Monet exhibit look similar to the Van Gogh immersive experience that has been traveling around the country. We saw it in Sarasota, FL in the spring. I wish we'd been able to stay at the Inn at Biltmore, but we had Zelda (our greyhound) with us then. Maybe next time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, sorry, I just discovered your comment. Yes, I knew the Biltmore had a Chihuly exhibit. Another blogger had shared about them. And I think that the Monet exhibit is likely very similar to the Van Gogh one you mention. That immersive aspect - all the senses. It's possible that pups can now visit the Inn. Not sure.

      Delete
  11. My comment didn't show so I'm posting again.
    I haven't been commenting on blogs lately but I do read your posts, Kay. Sounds like you'd a wonderful trip and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, I have to approve any comments that are made 3 days after my posts publish. That's why your earlier comment didn't show up. Anyway, we did have a good trip and I've had fun sharing. :-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!