.

.

Monday, June 13, 2022

Hello Summer! And who ordered the hot and dry? Not me....a short catch-up...

 

Hey there!  Remember me?  Yes, I'm back from my break and am glad to have some things to share with all of you.  It's summer!  Did you know?  Well, it might not be so bad where some of you reside, but in my part of the world it's hot, hot, hot.  And, even worse, we are in an extreme drought.  Our area normally has had about 12 inches of rain by this time of year, but in 2022 we've only had a little over 3 inches.  It's getting a little scary.  No rain in the spring means that the ground and environment is dry deluxe and that causes the summer temps to be higher.  We've been having 'August level' temperatures in late May and early June.  Not sure what will need to happen, but it sure would be nice if a bit of rain would come around.  

No, the picture above is not from Texas.  My husband and I just returned from a vacation (postponed from 2020) to Asheville, North Carolina.  And I found our rain!  It got mixed up and went to the northern parts.  Who knew?  Ha!  Asheville was absolutely gorgeous - green and lush and cool and sunny and wonderful!  I've shared just this one shot above and will tell you that if you follow that path for a bit, you'll come out to see a beautiful historical landmark.  What is it?  You guess and I'll tell you if you're right in the comments later.

I'm planning on a bunch of posts in upcoming weeks.  In fact, I've got things scheduled until the end of this month.  First of all, I'm sharing a review of a mystery I enjoyed last fall.  It's entitled Never Try To Catch A Falling Knife and I'll also share a guest post by the author, Skye Alexander.  She lives in my town here of Kerrville and her new mystery series is historical, set in the 1920's.

Next week, I'll share another review of a new book, The Woman In The Library, written by Sulari Gentill.  I flew through that one and want to get it on your radar for reading later if you'd like.  After that, I'm planning on 5 posts about our Asheville trip.  Hope that won't be too many, but I have a bunch of pictures to share and also a lot of historical details from the area.  Plus, I visited two bookstores in North Carolina and must, of course, share thoughts about those.  

As to other reading (such as for book groups), I'm doing a reread of Eight Perfect Murders by Peter Swanson for this week's 'Mystery Book Group' and will be trying to quickly read Olympus, Texas by Stacey Swann for next week's 'Talking Texas Book Group'.  Whew!  Oh, and I've got holds at the library coming in fast and furious.  Don't you just love it when you have lots of books to read?  Actually, I seem to be on a good pace with my reading and will be grateful for that.  

I hope all of you are well and enjoying your early summer.  Take care and please do stop back by and hear all about cool, gorgeous Asheville!       

27 comments:

  1. Hi Kay, nice to see you back. Look forward to your North Carolina posts as we visited that area in 2005 and fell in love with it. We always say that if we ever win the lottery (ho ho) that's where we'd buy a house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the welcome, Cath! I really want to share some of the things I learned about and also saw in NC. I had not ever been there, so it was all new to me. I do love mountains though and also discovering authors that write about those areas. More to come....LOL!

      Delete
  2. Hey Kay! Ha! I'm talking to myself!! :-)
    I hope you were able to get on the Blue Ridge Parkway while you were in Asheville! Everyone loves the Biltmore House but the very long drive to the house...did you know that was designed by the same man who designed Central Park in NYC?
    Take care, Kay! From your friend, KAY! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well 'Hello', Miss 'other' Kay! Nice to 'see' you here. We did not get on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but I do know that it's lovely. We were fairly booked up while we were there, but one day we might go back. Yes, we did see Biltmore House, but I was also very taken by the Omni Grove Park Inn. I just have lots to tell and show. :-)

      Delete
  3. Kay, so glad you got to take your NC getaway and I know that path but, will be looking forward to all the pictures and details. Sorry about the horrible drought you are facing in TX. We had a huge thunderstorm last night and hour of pouring rain which helped but everything is green so I am not complaining.

    I loved Eight Perfect Murders and Olympus, Texas is on my TBR. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, so you recognized the path? To the Biltmore from the area where we parked. More to come on all that. Yes, I know other parts of the country are not dealing with the same things we are. It is always like that I guess. Depends on where that jet stream decides to hang out.

      Delete
  4. Glad you had a good time in Asheville. I lived in Asheville and nearby Hendersonville for six years, and it's gotten better with time. The landscape is truly beautiful, but now the city is a gem too. I look forward to seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Asheville area was lovely, but seems to be growing fast or so we heard. Kind of like Texas. The city is quite interesting and there were lots of things to explore. More to come on that next week.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear you enjoyed your Asheville trip. I've been to South Carolina, but not North. I hear it's very beautiful there — mountains and beaches! We've had a rainy and coolish spring in Kansas City, but today it's hot! In the 90s all week, boo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did enjoy it a lot. I had not ever been to North Carolina and now I also want to go to South Carolina as well. Glad that we are finally able to think about trips - it's been a while. Nice to hear from you!

      Delete
  6. Hello, Kay!! It's so good to see you back here! Glad you got to Asheville at long last... what a beautiful area! We've been a couple of times and I'd love to visit again.

    Eight Perfect Murders is on my wish list and I brought Olympus, Texas with me to read this summer. Can't wait to hear more about your reading and travels. Welcome back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I really did like Asheville and have a lot to share about it. I thought several had probably visited that area. Thanks for the 'welcome' and I'm looking forward to getting back in the swing of things here.

      Delete
  7. I look forward to your review of the book by Sulari Gentill. I definitely want to read that book.

    Also want to see all the posts that are coming about Asheville. I have never been in that area.

    Our weather in Santa Barbara has not been that hot, but the state is in bad drought conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I'm glad you're intrigued by Sulari Gentill's book. I'm going to try to have my review up on Monday. And I hope to not go 'overboard' on my Asheville posts, but I did have a good time. Yes, I know your area has had drought problems too. Hope rain will come for all of us.

      Delete
  8. I am so happy you have returned to your blogging. We have missed you so much.

    Where we live, along the Gulf Coast, we feel less nervous about tropical storms/hurricanes when a high hangs over us. But this lack of rain is getting very bad.

    I'm looking forward to seeing your review of The Woman in the Library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I know that the 'high' helps with not so many tropical storms. I'm hoping that it doesn't take one of those to get some moisture for Texas. It would be nice if a system would track across from the Pacific, but I think the jet stream is not cooperating right now. I'm going to try to have my review of The Woman in the Library up on Monday.

      Delete
    2. i'm eagerly anticipating all the posts you will soon put up.

      Delete
  9. Hellooooo!! So good to see your post, Kay! You say it's summer? Really? Not here, but I won't complain. As much rain as we've had, I wouldn't want to be where it's hot & dry (or hot & humid). The extremes are astonishing, aren't they? You've only had 3 inches of rain and we've had over 33 so far this year.

    I'm glad you had a nice time in Asheville. It's so lovely in North Carolina. Did you see the Biltmore? Is that the historical landmark? I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures from your trip.

    Welcome back to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Les! I know you guys have had a lot of rain and it still continues. Wish a bit would track south on that jet stream. Yes, we saw the Biltmore and yes, that's the historical landmark at the end of the path. It's from the parking area to the Biltmore house and gardens. More to come about all that!

      Delete
  10. Nice to see your post, Kay. I look forward to seeing more from your trip. Olympus, Texas is either on my kindle or in my audible acct. I need to read it!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I see you are still having trouble commenting, but I like the fact that you put your 'signature' on the comment. Then I know it's you. Ha! More to come about our trip and I'm going to start Olympus, Texas in a couple of days.

      Delete
  11. I visited Biltmore as a teenager and would love to go back someday. Looking forward to your NC posts and your review of The Woman in the Library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite interesting and I hope to share some pictures and also some historical tidbits that I learned. I'm working on my review of 'The Woman...' right now. :-)

      Delete
  12. Summer here in Utah is feeling more like July than June. We've already had 100+ days, and our drought keeps getting worse, too. I keep praying for rain and hoping! Hope you enjoyed your trip to North Carolina! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, I certainly did enjoy my trip to NC and not just because of the cool temps. Ha! I know UT and other states are having drought issues too. Sigh.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Well, I guess there could be too many, but people can just choose to not 'tune in', right? LOL

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!