.

.

Monday, June 20, 2022

The Woman In The Library by Sulari Gentill

The Woman In The Library by Sulari Gentill

Blurb:

In every person's story, there is something to hide...

The ornate reading room at the Boston Public Library is quiet, until the tranquility is shattered by a woman's terrified scream. Security guards take charge immediately, instructing everyone inside to stay put until the threat is identified and contained. While they wait for the all-clear, four strangers, who'd happened to sit at the same table, pass the time in conversation and friendships are struck. Each has his or her own reasons for being in the reading room that morning—it just happens that one is a murderer.

My Thoughts:

Before I share what I thought about this book, I'd like to share a picture of the setting for the beginning of the story -'The ornate reading room at the Boston Public Library'.  The first part of the tale talks about the 'green shaded' lamps at the communal tables and also about the lofty ceiling.  Can you see it?  Good!  I was delighted to realize that when I visited the Boston Public Library a few years ago, I took a picture of the reading room and many other parts of the library as well.  If you want to see some of them, you may go here.

    


The Woman In The Library is a book told in a sort of epistolary style - a 'story within a story'.  We read  the book that Hannah, an Australian author, is writing and her correspondence with Leo who is a sort-of 'beta-reader', I guess.  Their interactions are at the end of the chapters of Hannah's book, which Hannah is apparently sending to Leo to get his reactions.  That book tells of the four people who were sitting at the same table in the Boston Library when a woman screams loudly.  Security people rush in and tell everyone to stay put.  The four individuals begin chatting with each other and friendships are formed from that point.  Now, these four people all have secrets and their own reasons for being in the library that day.  And one of them - well, one of them is a murderer.

Sulari Gentill lives in Australia and she writes a historical mystery series and has also written a couple of stand-alone books.  Her historical series is about Rowland Sinclair and it's set in Sydney in the 1930's.  I think there are about 10 books in that series.  I listened to a great author event (podcast) with Sulari and Barbara Peters of the Poisoned Pen Bookstore.  Really a lot of fun to hear.  

I recommend this new book and hope many might try it and see what they think. 

25 comments:

  1. Just requested this one; thank you. I am so glad you posted link to you 2017 BPL visit. I love that library, ranks among the finest for sure, I always try to visit new libraries if traveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I'm glad you clicked over to that older post. I hadn't read it in a bit and it brought back lovely memories. And I agree about the Boston Library.

      Delete
  2. I think I will look for this one. I wish I had visited the Boston library when we were in that city, but, since I didn't, I'm happy you did.

    I also will share this post with my friend, Marcia, who lives near Boston. I think she will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb, for sharing the post and also for thinking about the book. Not sure it's exactly in your 'wheelhouse', but you never know and does have a partial setting of a library. Also the Back Bay area of Boston. If you ever get a change to see it, I encourage you to go. Plus you could see the Boston Common where the 'Make Way For Ducklings' sculpture resides. ;-)

      Delete
  3. I'm really interested in this one, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! I didn't get inside the library during our trip to Boston, so thank you for sharing your photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to try it, Angela. And, yes, I was so lucky to get to spend time in the Boston Library.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for recommending this one, Kay. I love epistolaries and the setting sounds intriguing. I love visiting libraries when we're traveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, this one was a book that really felt I had to talk about. It might not be to everyone's taste, but I liked it a lot. I always like to check out books that are told in interesting ways. And, of course, I love to visit libraries. LOL

      Delete
  5. I have read the first book in Sulari Gentill's historical mystery series, and have always planned to read more of them. Initially they were hard to get but now they are more easily available.

    I am definitely looking forward to reading The Woman in the Library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I'm glad to know that you've sampled Sulari's historical series. I'll have to look for that one. Hope you enjoy this book if you're able to get it!

      Delete
  6. I'm hearing about this one a lot so will definitely try to fit it in somewhere over the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, I hope you will try it if you can get it. It was different and really absorbing.

      Delete
  7. I'm intrigued by this one! And I do love a book written in an epistolary style. Got it on my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! Hope you'll be able to read this one, Lark, and I'll be interested in what you think.

      Delete
  8. I really enjoyed this one, and I'm glad you did, too. I watched the event with Barbara and Sulari-- what fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't this book good? I didn't watch the event, but I guess I listened as I think that's what the podcasts are. It was a lot of fun to hear. I told Lesa Holstine that I heard Patrick notice and read her comment while the event was going on. Guess she was there too. :-)

      Delete
    2. An added benefit for me was learning the correct pronunciation of Sulari's last name!

      Delete
  9. This one sounds really good and I'm glad to see you enjoyed it as much as you did. Definitely means I need to add it to my TBR. I love the picture you shared! It'll be fun to visualize that while I'm reading/listening to this book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds intriguing. May be a good book club choice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be right. I think the group would like it. ;-)

      Delete
  11. I quite enjoyed this book as well and now I want to read all of this author's other books. It's always fun to find a new author to love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think the author has written one other standalone book and then her series. Lots to explore.

      Delete
  12. What a gorgeous library! I've got this one on my TBR. I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Boston Library is very beautiful and a lot of fun to wander through. Bet you'd like the book too. Just saying...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!