.

.

Monday, May 28, 2018

Let Me Lie - Clare Mackintosh

Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh

First Paragraph(s):

Death does not suit me.  I wear it like a borrowed coat; it slips off my shoulders and trails in the dirt.  It is ill fitting.  Uncomfortable.
     I want to shrug it off; to throw it in the cupboard and take back my well-tailored clothes.  I didn't want to to leave my old life, but I'm hopeful for my next one--hopeful I can become someone beautiful and vibrant.  For now, I am trapped. 
     Between lives.
     In limbo.

My Thoughts:

Let Me Lie is the third book by Clare Mackintosh and, as with her previous books, I Let You Go and I See You, I was caught up in the story.  Anna Johnson has lost both her parents to suicide or so it seems.  First her father and then, some months later, her mother, in exactly the same way.  She now has a child and would like to move on with her life, but she still has niggling doubts about their deaths.  On the first anniversary of her mother's death, Anna receives a card that suggests a closer look is warranted.  She goes to the police and relates her story to ex-detective (now civilian employee) Murray Mackenzie.  Even though he's unofficial, Murray decides to ask some questions.  And what he finds, well, I'll let you read the book and discover for yourself. 

I did like Let Me Lie and actually listened to it on audio, very well narrated by Gemma Whelan.  As I walked my usual daily route of exercise, I was muttering though.  The characters were not completely unlikable, but I was annoyed with many of them.  I'm finding that I talk to characters that bug me (now, that doesn't look or sound odd does it?  Ha!) and say things like - 'Seriously?' or 'That's where your mind went?' or 'How clueless are you?'.  My favorite person was Murray, the ex-policeman, and how he cared for and supported his wife, Sarah.  Oh, I also liked Anna's baby, Ella.  She was a normal baby and really just interested in where her next meal would come from.  And there was a nice little dog named Rita.  There were certainly twists and I had a good time puzzling what they might be.  I was mostly correct, but not entirely.  I'd love to see Murray again in another book.  And, yes, I'll be reading the next one by Clare Mackintosh.  She's pretty much moved to my 'must read' list. 

Blurb:

Last year, Tom and Caroline Johnson chose to end their lives, one seemingly unable to live without the other. Their daughter, Anna, is struggling to come to terms with her parents' deaths, unwilling to accept the verdict of suicide.

Now with a baby herself, Anna feels her mother's absence keenly and is determined to find out what really happened to her parents. But as she digs up the past, someone is trying to stop her.

Sometimes it's safer to let things lie....

16 comments:

  1. I have this on my list ... perhaps audio is the way to go!

    The workaround to getting notified of comments until Blogger gets its act together (a glitch of their new privacy/cookies policy) is to comment on your own post and then click the box that says you want to be notified when someone else comments. A pain, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thanks for telling me that, Candace. I had thought it might be the way to go. And also, I think you might like the audio of this one as well.

      Delete
  2. Clare Mackintosh is an auto-read for me too! I should try her next one on audio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Murray, but overall this one didn't leave me as satisfied as Mackinthosh's previous books. I still look forward to the next one, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Jenclair. That describes how I felt as well. I think with these standalone books, it's easier for an author to stumble with me. With a series, I'm usually involved with the characters and so am more forgiving. Does that make sense? Ha!

      Delete
  4. I've got a library copy of this one and am eager to read it. I just need to find the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand that problem, Catherine. LOL

      Delete
  5. Her books are all standalones right? I've only read one of her books and really liked it although the ending was a bit meh. Definitely will be checking this one out though! Hope you are enjoying the holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, her books are standalones. Had a nice weekend, though it does look like the heat is about to start for real.

      Delete
  6. I still need to read this author. I See You is on my summer reading list. Did you like that one, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like I See You and hope you enjoy it if you get to it this summer.

      Delete
  7. Clare Mackintosh is an author that's been on my TBR for awhile but somehow I've yet to get to any of her books. I've found I do better with characters that annoy me in an audio book so I think I might go that route with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I actually do better with them on audio as well. Then I can rant at them while I'm getting my steps. LOL

      Delete
  8. She is definitely a must-read author for me as well. Her novels don't totally blow me away, but I remain impressed with them because they have all managed to surprise me in some way. It takes a lot for books to do that these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you're saying. I don't mind figuring things out most of the time - the puzzle is the fun for me - but I don't want it to be too easy or the characters completely awful. LOL

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!