.

.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Waiting on Wednesday - The Disappearing



I'm posting a 'soon to be released' book on Wednesdays.  These will always be books that I am particularly looking forward to.  I'll be linking up to 'Can't-Wait Wednesday' hosted by Tressa at Wishful Endings and plan to take part in this each week.

The book I'm sharing this week is by an author that I've had on my TBR for a long time.  And I've still not read any of her books.  Why is that?  She's won two Edgar awards!  Hoping this one is the one that will change that.  This week, I'm waiting on:




Publication Date:  July 17th

When Lane Fielding fled her isolated Florida hometown after high school for the anonymity of New York City, she swore she'd never return. But twenty years later, newly divorced and with two daughters in tow, she finds herself tending bar at the local dive and living with her parents on the historic Fielding Plantation. Here, the past haunts her and the sinister crimes of her father--the former director of an infamous boys' school--make her as unwelcome in town as she was the day she left.

Ostracized by the people she was taught to trust, Lane's unsteady truce with the town is rattled when her older daughter suddenly vanishes. Ten days earlier, a college student went missing, and the two disappearances at first ignite fears that a serial killer who once preyed upon the town has returned. But when Lane's younger daughter admits to having made a new and unseemly friend, a desperate Lane attacks her hometown's façade to discover whether her daughter's disappearance is payback for her father's crimes--or for her own.

With reporters descending upon the town, police combing through the swamp, and events taking increasingly disturbing turns, Lane fears she faces too many enemies and too little time to bring her daughter safely home. Powerful and heart-pounding, The Disappearing questions the endurance of family bonds, the dangers of dark rumors and small town gossip, and how sometimes home is the scariest place of all.

41 comments:

  1. Ooh this does sound good particularly as I'm partial to small town settings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too and so this seems like one I'd like.

      Delete
  2. I really like the setting of this one, great pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenea! I hope so - we shall see.

      Delete
  3. I like the sound of this one, returning to a small town with secrets, and a mystery- sounds tense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. What is it about small town secrets?

      Delete
  4. Here's another one for my reading list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to add to your list. You add to mine. LOL

      Delete
  5. This sounds wonderfully creepy and complex -- looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to be able to read it later in the summer.

      Delete
  6. Definitely a creepy vibe to this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, secrets and disappearances - small towns - sounds gripping.

      Delete
  7. I've heard good things about this author, but I haven't read anything by her either. I'm also a sucker for small town settings, especially when the MC left it behind swearing never to return! You just know some juicy secrets are about to be revealed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lied! I have read Lori Roy before -- looks like I didn't love LET ME DIE IN HIS FOOTSTEPS. Hm. Well, the one you spotlighted sounds better. I'm going to give it a go!

      Delete
    2. Well, we'll see how we fare, right? We both know that some books by a certain author work and some don't. Let's hope this one is a great one.

      Delete
  8. I just got this one from Penguin First to Read. I'm really excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of this author before, but this sounds like my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's written maybe 4 other books - something like that. And has been nominated for awards. I keep meaning to read her books, but think I'll start with this one.

      Delete
  10. I looked at the author's website. Can't tell whether her books are for me, yet, but definitely worth looking into. I do that a lot with authors, buy books that I still haven't gotten to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, you made me laugh. I think we all do that with authors. So many books sound good and then we get distracted with other ones, right? If you do decide to try one, hope you like it.

      Delete
  11. Kay, I'm with you. I've had this author's books on my radar (actually I have one on my shelf) and just haven't gotten around to them. This will be another one I'll have to keep on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to start with this one, Iliana. Then I'll see if her writing style suits me.

      Delete
  12. Oooh! This sounds like an intense read! Great pick!


    Here’s my WoW!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent recommendation! It sounds like a fantastic read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Looking forward to it. Thanks!

      Delete
  14. This sounds really good! I like the idea of this woman having to return home, even though there is a bad history there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planning on reading this at some point this summer. We'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  15. Sounds really good. I love in Florida. I love finding books set here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe this is one you'll try. I'm looking forward to reading it.

      Delete
  16. This sounds good! I like small-town mystery/suspense and haven't had a chance to read anything from this author yet. Thanks for yet another great review. I particularly like how you add in the first paragraph at the top of the review. It's like I'm in the bookstore looking over your shoulder! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. I haven't read this one as yet, but I finally have a 'pattern' to use for my reviews. It seems to work for me and for others.

      Delete
  17. Sounds good! I haven't heard of this author but given the 2 Edgars I definitely need to learn more about her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, winning awards definitely helps, right?

      Delete
  18. Ohh great pick this book looks and sounds like an amazing thriller, I hope you enjoy the book when you get the chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my kind of book. So, hoping so too!

      Delete
  19. Waiting on Wednesday is a great meme. I haven't participated in so long that I'd forgotten about it until I saw it here on your blog. Thanks for the reminder, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one that I enjoy - not as bit as it used to be, but still quite a few participate. I do when I can.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!