.

.

Monday, May 21, 2018

Sometimes I Lie - Alice Feeney

Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney

First Paragraph(s):

My name is Amber Reynolds.
There are three things you should know about me:
     1. I'm in a coma
     2. My husband doesn't love me anymore.
     3. Sometimes I lie.

I've always delighted in the free fall between sleep and wakefulness.  Those precious few semiconscious seconds before you open your eyes, when you catch yourself believing that your dreams might just be your reality.  A moment of intense pleasure or pain, before your senses reboot and inform you who and where and what you are.  For now, for just a second longer, I'm enjoying the self-medicated delusion that permits me to imagine that I could be anyone, I could be anywhere, I could be loved.

My Thoughts:

Sometimes I Lie is a book that I think I'll have a hard time talking about without giving spoilers, so...I'm not going to share too much.  First of all, I'll say that I did a read/listen of it.  Narration was by Stephanie Racine.  She did a really good job.  This is Alice Feeney's debut and I'll definitely be watching for what she writes next.  Oh my goodness!  This book is all kinds of crazy.  Told in several different ways - by Amber in a coma in the present, in the recent past just before the accident that placed her in the coma, and also through diaries written over 20 years ago - the reader thinks certain things, but no...thinks other things, no again...and then comes the 'all kinds of crazy'.  Who would have ever thought that a certain phrase would scare the living daylights out of you?  Can't/won't tell you the phrase.  And, yes, that's all I'll say.  If you try this one, be prepared.  All...kinds...of...crazy...

Blurb:

Amber wakes up in a hospital. She can’t move. She can’t speak. She can’t open her eyes. She can hear everyone around her, but they have no idea. Amber doesn’t remember what happened, but she has a suspicion her husband had something to do with it. Alternating between her paralyzed present, the week before her accident, and a series of childhood diaries from twenty years ago, this brilliant psychological thriller asks: Is something really a lie if you believe it's the truth?

30 comments:

  1. I have this book on my kindle. It sounds like a wonderful, albeit confusing, story to read when I'm in the right mood for unreliable narrator/psychological suspense (and yes, there's a specific mood for that, lol)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love crazy in a book so will look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this one sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, Jenclair - but definitely odd.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the spoiler free review. This one sounds pretty good. That opening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! And I wanted to say more, but knew I shouldn't. Ha!

      Delete
  5. All kinds of crazy...good to know! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wanted you to know - and be interested. LOL

      Delete
  6. I would love to read this one but I think I need an actual copy to be able to go back and forth easily between pages to make sure I don't miss anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be the best way for you, Iliana. Ha! I liked the audio, but know that won't be to everyone's taste.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a really crazy concept! Hard to imagine how someone in a coma could tell a story - but definitely sounds very tense!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like I need to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Iliana, I think I'll have to read this in print rather than listen to the audio. It sounds great!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree it has a crazy plot but at least it was engaging. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blurb definitely catches my attention and it sounds like a great read! Your review definitely has me wondering!

    PS - Lucy Eylesbarrow is from 4:50 from Paddington. How did I forget that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it! I just really liked Lucy's character. Ha!

      Delete
  12. I listened to this one and had the same reactions you did, Kay. I reviewed it as well, and was rather vague too, so as not to reveal any spoilers. As they say, it was a wild ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep and I'm interested in what will come next for the author.

      Delete
  13. This sounds like it could be good, but seems like it would be a challenging read for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, not sure it would be a good fit for you. However...

      Delete
  14. LOL, this one sounds a little ... crazy! I like books that keep me off-kilter, as long as they're not too confusing. I wonder what I'll think of this one? Only one way to find out ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'd be curious about your take on it. Try it - you know you want to...LOL!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!