.

.

Friday, October 26, 2018

Bookish Nostalgia - October 2018



Welcome to Bookish Nostalgia for October 2018.  I've kept records of books I read for over 25 years and I enjoy looking back through my reading journals to see what I was reading 5, 10, 15, and 20 years ago.  Let's see what I remember about what I was reading in those years:



October 1998 - Charlie's Bones by L.L. Thrasher - I'm quite certain that I found out about this book on the DorothyL Listserv.  Wonder if that still exists?  This author only had a few books published - there's a second 'Charlie' book.  I remember enjoying this one a lot.  In it, Lizbet wants a swimming pool in her backyard and Charlie shows up when the digging commences.  However, Charlie can only be seen by Lizbet - he's a ghost - and he wants her to solve his murder.  Perfect October read.  I notice that it's available on Kindle Unlimited and I may just read it again.



October 2003 - Shore Lights by Barbara Bretton - I'm fairly sure that I first read this author when I went through my Harlequin Romance phase.  Many authors started out with that publisher and then moved on over the years to other publishers and even other genres (note Tess Gerritsen).  Anyway, I don't remember much about the story, but I do actually remember that cover.  When I went looking, I noticed this one and am sure it was the original.  A sweet love story that is actually available on Kindle Unlimited as well. 



October 2008 - People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks - I can't remember if I read this book with the afternoon book group I moderated at the library in 2008 or if I read it after the group discussed Year of Wonders by this author.  All I know is that I loved this book.  I really need to reread it.  The story of the Sarajevo Haggadah, an early Jewish religious book that was illustrated, and the book's journey through time and place.  It was fascinating and like no other book I'd read at the time.  Did I say that I really need to read this again?  Will definitely do that.



October 2013 - The Missing by Jane Casey - I have loved the Maeve Kerrigan crime series written by this author.  This book is Casey's debut novel and it's a standalone.  Plus it's not available in e-book format even now.  I remember reading it after I read the first Maeve Kerrigan book, The Burning, because I was afraid I had missed something.  However, that wasn't the case.  Might be a bit hard to find now.  Another book I ought to try again perhaps.  Or maybe she could just write another Maeve book - soonish!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

And so we end this month's Bookish Nostalgia.  Hope you'll join me again next month to see what November books I remember from my journals.

20 comments:

  1. I too need to reread People of the Book, I remember bits of it but not much but I do know it is worth rereading. And I love the cover of Shore Lights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of how it is for me, Cath! I think I'll try it again next year.

      Delete
  2. I love the Maeve Kerrigan series, too! I enjoyed THE PEOPLE OF THE BOOK when I read it as well, although it was a loonnnggg time ago :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm so ready for a new Maeve book. And it was 10 years ago for me - ha!

      Delete
  3. I love your book notes. So many gems, and it's fun to reminisce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy this type of post. Very relaxing and enjoyable to page through and see what I was up to.

      Delete
  4. There's a new Maeve book due out over here next April - Cruel Acts... 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Very happy to hear that and thanks for the info!

      Delete
  5. These are all new to me, but Charlie's Bones sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This may be the first time I haven't read any of your journal entries! I've read almost all of Geraldine Brooks, but somehow missed People of the Book. Love these posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh JoAnn, you've got to read People of the Book. It's quite interesting indeed. And thanks, I love doing them.

      Delete
  7. I have long wanted to read People of the Book, but haven't yet. It's been on my TBR pile quite a while, sad to say. Jane Casey is another author I want to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you're saying. So many books are on my list to get to 'someday'...'over the rainbow', right? LOL

      Delete
  8. I still have People of the Book on my to be read shelf! Good grief, just a reminder that there are too many books and too little time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People of the Book is really worth your time or so I remember of it. I'm planning on reading it again before long.

      Delete
  9. Over 25 years is impressive Kay. For me it's been about 18.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I wish it had been 50 instead of 25 - LOL!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!