.

.

Monday, October 22, 2018

Burial Rites - Hannah Kent

Burial Rites by Hannah Kent

First Paragraph(s):

They said I must die.  They said that I stole the breath from men, and now they must steal mine.  I imagine, then, that we are all candle flames, greasy-bright, fluttering in the darkness and the howl of the wind, and in the stillness of the room I hear footsteps, awful coming footsteps, coming to blow me out and send my life up away from me in a gray wreath of smoke.  I will vanish into the air and the night.  They will blow us all out, one by one, until it is only their own light by which they see themselves.  Where will I be then?
     Sometimes I think I see it again, the farm, burning in the dark.  Sometimes I can feel the ache of winter in my lungs, and I think I see the flames mirrored in the ocean, the water so strange, so flickered with light.  There was a moment during that night when I look back.  I looked back to watch the fire, and if I lick my skin I can still taste the salt.  The smoke.
     It wasn't always so cold.
     I hear footsteps.

My Thoughts:

Burial Rites was the book selected for our mystery group read in October.  Those are usually 'Gothic'-type reads, but though this book would fit in that category, it's a bit different.  And I'm actually writing my thoughts before the discussion so I'm not sure how it will go over with the group.  I know that I was highly impressed with it, Hannah Kent's debut novel.  The language and imagery are really beautiful and lyrical.  Haunting, even.  It is certainly not a typical historical mystery, but it fits well enough.  Set in the early 1800's in rural Iceland, this story tells of the last person to be executed in that country, Agnes Magnúsdóttir.  Hannah Kent did a lot of research on the time, the people, all of it. 

Agnes is placed with a farming family to await her death, and the family is given no choice about taking a convicted murderess into their home.  Naturally, they are reluctant, afraid, horrified.  A young priest is sent also to help Agnes come to grips with her fate.  As he and Agnes talk, the rest of the individuals gradually hear her story.  Sigh.  Did she kill her master?  If so, why?  If not, why was she convicted?  Time passes as all await the order for execution to arrive.  The reader gets to experience descriptions of life at this time and in this place.  It's brutal, for the most part.  Not always though.  There are good things as well.  I was very caught up in the story.  It doesn't move very fast, but as I said earlier, the language is gorgeous.  So, regardless of whether this fits for a mystery book group discussion, I'm so glad that I read it.  And it is definitely recommended.  Hannah Kent has a second book out, The Good People.  I want to try it and I'd love to know if others have enjoyed this book - please tell!

Blurb:

Set against Iceland's stark landscape, Hannah Kent brings to vivid life the story of Agnes, who, charged with the brutal murder of her former master, is sent to an isolated farm to await execution.

Horrified at the prospect of housing a convicted murderer, the family at first avoids Agnes. Only Tóti, a priest Agnes has mysteriously chosen to be her spiritual guardian, seeks to understand her. But as Agnes's death looms, the farmer's wife and their daughters learn there is another side to the sensational story they've heard.

34 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful book. The word "haunting" is a very apt description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really how I felt while I was reading this one - haunted. :-)

      Delete
  2. The time period, the characters and the premise all sound very intriguing to me. And I like it that it's a debut novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Hannah Kent is very gifted with words. I was fairly amazed that this was a debut.

      Delete
  3. I loved this book! It was not fast-moving but that was fine because I loved being immersed in the scenario. The language-- as you mentioned-- was beautiful, and Iceland is one of those countries I think would be intriguing to visit.

    I did read her next book The Good People, but I had mixed emotions about it... and can't say much more without giving away the plot. But I will say that because I have disabled children something in this story triggered much sadness for me, so thus it was not nearly as entertaining as the first one. This is just my opinion; I'm sure many loved it or will love it. I'm an overly-sensitive person, anyway.

    I eagerly await her next book, whenever, because she does have a wonderful way with words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know that you loved this book too, Rita. And thanks for telling (but not telling too much) about your experience with Kent's second book. I will say that the book group had very mixed reactions to reading Burial Rites (or so I was told). I missed the meeting, but it seemed that people either loved it and wanted others to love it or hated or didn't finish it because it was too sad or brutal, etc. Actually, it seems like a good book for discussion.

      Delete
  4. What an intriguing review! And that excerpt! I will have to check on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try this one, Jenclair. You might find a new favorite or you might think it's too sad. Mixed reactions at the mystery group.

      Delete
  5. I remember when this book first came out and it got a lot of attention. I skipped it for some reason and it sounds like I made a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that it was very popular and talked about when it was published. And I do understand skipping some and then feeling like you ought to go back and read them. Ha!

      Delete
  6. This is another of those books I always meant to read, but for some reason never did. Glad you reminded me of it! I'm putting it back on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one to at least try, Lark. I'll be curious what you think if you get to do that.

      Delete
  7. This one's been on my radar for a while, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And don't I understand that, Susan? Yes I do. If you get a chance. It is sad, but compelling.

      Delete
  8. I think the setting alone would make me want to try this one out. It does sound like a compelling story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is that, Angela. And, yes, the setting is very vivid.

      Delete
  9. I loved Burial Rites - as you say, the language is gorgeous and she gives such a great sense of place. To be honest, I didn't like The Good People at all, although I was in the minority. I found it too unrelentingly bleak. But don't let me put you off - other people loved it! Hope you do too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm considering reading it before long. We'll see.

      Delete
  10. I am glad to hear you enjoyed this one, Kay. I have heard such good things about it and the Icelandic setting is appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that setting is very much a part of the book. It's sad, but beautifully written.

      Delete
  11. I donated this one unread, I'm sorry I didn't try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad to hear you liked this book, Kay. It's another one of my impulse kindle daily deal purchases that's been waiting way too long. One of these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it if you get around to trying it, JoAnn.

      Delete
  13. Lots of discussion with the group and mixed reviews. I would say you love it or hate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd agree with that based on what I'm hearing. Made for an interesting discussion (or so you told me). :-)

      Delete
  14. I've been meaning to read this one! I would imagine that it is not the typical "mystery" book for a book group but well, it's always good to expand our reading horizons. I may have to recommend this to my group and see if they would be up for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very good book, Iliana, though not all the mystery group liked it. Made for great discussion I am told.

      Delete
  15. I have seen high praise for this for a long time. Even the cover is compelling to me, let alone your great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a sad book, but beautiful in the telling.

      Delete
  16. I thought I had read this one. I know, I own it. But from the description and your review I am sure now I have not read it. I wonder what I did with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You made me laugh. That sounds like me - thought I owned it - where is it? Maybe you gave it away? LOL

      Delete
  17. A real favorite of mine! I read it in 2013. I’ve tried to get The Good People from our library system but have to wait as new books aren’t available for inter-library loan right away. I’ll try again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOOD PEOPLE has been out for a while. I bet it will be available before long. I'll likely read it at some point in the next year or so.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!