.

.

Friday, October 19, 2018

Trust Me - Hank Phillippi Ryan

Trust Me by Hank Phillippi Ryan

First Paragraph(s):

Using one forefinger I write on the bathroom mirror, drawing through the steamy condensation left by the shower.  This morning's number is 442.
     Four hundred forty-two days since the car accident that destroyed my family.  The crash that took Dex and Sophie from me.  The numbers disintegrate as I write them.  They melt into watery tears, then disappear.
     I would give anything, anything.  I would do anything.  Longing--unbidden, unwanted--hits me hard as I look at my reflection.  We make those offers every day, filling in our own personal blanks.  If you make this happen, we promise, I'll give up drinking.  Or speeding.  Or whatever.  If only you'll give me what I want, I'll be a better daughter.  A more reliable husband.  A more devoted wife.
     Make my wish come true, and I'll do...anything.

My Thoughts:

Trust Me was one of the 'Guppy Book of the Month' selections that I received and I was so excited to have it.  I've read more than one positive review and was quite eager to check out this first standalone book by Hank Phillippi Ryan.  There are two mothers in Trust Me - one a journalist who is tasked to write about another mother - that one accused of killing her daughter.  Not a pleasant subject at all.  Plus, Mercer Hennessey, the journalist, is recovering emotionally from losing her own small daughter and husband in a tragic car accident.  Mercer is not in the best place in her head, but she needs to work and this is her task.  The book is divided into sections, the first of which is the trial of Ashlyn Bryant.  Mercer is caught up in viewing that trial - did Ashlyn do it or is she being framed?  It's a bit difficult to talk more about this tale without giving away too much, so that's all I'll say about the plot.

I was very interested in where this story would venture.  Most compelling and, honestly, a bit nutty at times.  Who do we believe?  Is Mercer reliable as she filters everything through her own grief?  At one point I was sure I knew.  And then I didn't.  I was very annoyed with the characters more than once.  Again, I thought I had things figured out.  I did not.  And so it went.  This way and that and then upside down.  So, was I happy at the end?  Yes and no.  Do I think that Hank Phllippi Ryan created a story that you'll want to try?  Yes, I do.  Do I consider this one a thriller?  Yes, if your definition is 'unputdownable'.  I'm happy to know that another standalone is in this author's future for next summer.  And now I have some time to catch up with her backlist.  This book is recommended - TRUST ME...ha!

Blurb:

An accused killer insists she's innocent of a heinous murder.
A grieving journalist surfaces from the wreckage of her shattered life.
Their unlikely alliance leads to a dangerous cat and mouse game that will leave you breathless.
Who can you trust when you can't trust yourself?

There are three sides to every story. Yours. Mine. And the truth.



20 comments:

  1. "Unputdownable" is good enough for me to pick up this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try this one, Melody. I think it might be your style.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting and twisty book. It's on my list already, but now I may have to move it up! Sounds like a great read. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it, but it's a crazy ride for sure.

      Delete
  3. Maybe I put it down too soon. :) I was frustrated with the fact that journalism wasn't really on the table as Mercer's antagonism was so evident and didn't finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand putting it down, Jenclair. If it didn't work for you, that's what you should do. Might not be for everyone. I know the author was pretty nervous about how it might be received. Different from her usual style.

      Delete
  4. I may have to try this one! I love a good thriller.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read this one and really enjoyed it. It's different from the series she writes in tone and plot, but I really liked it. I used to live in FL so I recognized the Casey Anthony connection right off, and then the author had her MC start mentioning Casey Anthony, too weird... but it worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I read in an interview with the author that she reported on the Casey Anthony case and was offered a book sort of like the one mentioned in the story. However, since Anthony was acquitted, the book never happened. She took a risk with this one, but I think it worked for me.

      Delete
  6. This one is in my reading queue. I've met the author a few times and she's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've met her too and corresponded with her about that Guppy prize. I'm glad I got to read this one. Now I need to try her other books.

      Delete
  7. Unputdownable is always good when it comes to a thriller. :-) I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good, but it is sad in some parts - of course, you know the Casey Anthony story, so that will give you a clue to some of it.

      Delete
  8. Oh yes, I definitely like the sound of this one and need to read it! Adding it to my TBR list now!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, this does sound intense! I haven't read any of her books but would love to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read two of Ryan's series, but never a stand-alone. This one sounds great. I'm glad you shared your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is her first standalone, so it was a bit different for her. Think she was pretty nervous about what the reaction would be. I've heard almost all good thoughts on it.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!