.

.

Monday, October 29, 2018

The Guilty Dead - P.J. Tracy

The Guilty Dead by P.J. Tracy

First Paragraph(s):

Gus Riskin sipped from a bottle of water as he surveyed Trey's living room.  What he saw infuriated and disgusted him.  The priceless Persian rug beneath his feet was filthy, pockmarked with cigarette burns and littered with the castoffs of a dissolute life: pizza and take-out boxes of indeterminate age now housed skittering colonies of roaches; empty beer bottles and martini glasses had drooled out their meager remains, leaving crunchy spots on the expensive silk pile; drug paraphernalia and detritus was scattered around the room like grotesque confetti.

My Thoughts:

The Guilty Dead is the 9th book in the Monkeewrench series, written by P.J. Tracy.  The author has been a mother and daughter, who penned these books together.  Sadly, the mother lost her battle to cancer almost two years ago.  This is the first book written solely by Traci Lambrecht, the daughter.  And it was a very good entry into this favorite series of mine.  My husband and I listened to it on a recent trip.  Our only quibble was the narrator had changed and that took a bit of getting used to.  We were familiar with a male narrator and the new one is female, Sarah Borges.  She did a good job though and we adjusted. 

The Monkeewrench books have a set of characters that include the Monkeewrench Software owners, Grace, Annie, Harley, and Roadrunner.  Plus, there are the cops, Leo and Gino and their colleagues.  Over the course of the series, this reader has come to love them all.  The Guilty Dead started out a little slow, but the story soon got moving and once the familiar people appeared, it was all good.  Each of the books tends to focus a bit more on the cop side or the software/hacking side.  In my opinion, this was a cop book.  Both my husband and I figured out the end game pretty early, but we enjoyed the ride.  As I said, I'm delighted that this series will continue and I look forward to more Monkeewrench books in the future.  A recommended series - start with the first book, Monkeewrench.   

Blurb:

Gregory Norwood is Minnesota’s most beloved philanthropist, and the story of his son’s overdose was splashed across the front page of all the papers. When a photojournalist sets out to get a candid shot of the highly successful businessman on the one year anniversary of his son’s death, he’s shocked to find Norwood dead with a smoking gun in his hand. The city is devastated, and Minneapolis detectives Leo Magozzi and Gino Rolseth are called in to handle the delicate case. It should be open and shut, but something is not right. Norwood's death is no suicide.

With no suspects and an increasing tangle of digital evidence that confounds the Minneapolis Police Department’s most seasoned cops, Magozzi calls on Grace MacBride, Monkeewrench Software’s founder and chief computer genius and the soon to be mother of their child together. She and her motley crew of partners begin to unravel connections between Norwood’s death and an even larger plot. Norwood wasn’t the first, won’t be the last, and by the end, may be just one of many to die.

14 comments:

  1. A favorite series, and I can't wait for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're able to find it before long. I'm so glad the series will continue.

      Delete
  2. I still haven't read this series. Looks like I've a lot to catch up on given that it's the 9th book already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been around a while, Melody. The software/hacking side of things has changed a lot since the first book. LOL

      Delete
  3. This is a new to me series. It is always an adjustment when a narrator changes, glad it was an easy one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a 'Northern' series, Nise', set in Minnesota. You might think about trying it.

      Delete
  4. I know several of the book club members like the original series. Thanks for bringing it back up. I think I would like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would too, Gayle. Start with the first book though if you try it. Really introduces and sets up the characters.

      Delete
  5. Eew, what an opening! I can only imagine how hard it must be for the author to continue without her partner in crime so it's good to see her continuing with the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I bet it has been hard for her to lose her Mom and then go on with the books.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed the earlier books in the series, but my most recent attempt to jump back in didn't turn out as well. I am glad you continue to enjoy this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it, though the change in narrator took some getting used to.

      Delete
  7. I loved the first six books in this series, but was really disappointed with The Sixth Idea (#7), so I didn't even bother to pick up Nothing Stays Buried (#8). No I wonder if I ought to give it and this new one a chance. I'm not listening to them on audio, so maybe the print version won't be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh...I'd say if you get a chance, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. After all, there are so many other books and series, right?

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!