.

.

Monday, October 15, 2018

The Lake of Dead Languages - Carol Goodman

The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman

First Paragraph(s):

I have been told to make the Latin curriculum relevant to the lives of my students.  I am finding, though, that my advanced girls at Heart Lake like Latin precisely because it has no relevance to their lives.  They like nothing better than a new, difficult declension to memorize.  They write the noun endings on their palms in blue ballpoint ink and chant the declensions, 'Puella, puellae, puellae, puellam, puella...' like novices counting their rosaries.
     When it comes time for a test they line up at the washroom to scrub down.  I lean against the cool tile wall watching them as the washbasins fill with pale blue foam and the archaic words run down the drains.  When they offer to show me the undersides of their wrists for traces of letters I am unsure if I should look.  If I look, am I showing that I don't trust them?  If I don't look, will they think I am naive?  When they put their upturned hands in mine--so light-boned and delicate--it is as if a fledgling has alighted in my lap.  I am afraid to move.
     In class I see only the tops of their hands--the black nail polish and silver skull rings.  One girl even has a tattoo on the top of her right hand--an intricate blue pattern that she tells me is a Celtic knot.  Now I look at the warm pink flesh--their fingertips are tender and whorled from immersion in water, the scent of soap rises like incense.  Three of the girls have scratched the inside of their wrists with pins or razors.  The lines are fainter than the lifelines that crease their palms.  I want to trace their scars with my fingertips and ask them why, but instead I squeeze their hands and tell them to go on into class.  'Bona fortuna,' I say.  'Good luck on the test.'

My Thoughts:

This is the third book I've read by Carol Goodman and I've liked them all.  She has a way of writing about girls and schools and upstate New York that I am drawn to.  Her books are good selections for R.I.P. XIII - definitely got the 'spooky' going on.  The Lake of Dead Languages is this author's debut novel and it's been out for over 15 years.  I listened to it, narrated by Vivienne Benesch, over several days and was really immersed in the story.  There are secrets and lies and friends and enemies.  There's a missing notebook from a long time ago.  There's Latin (which I know almost nothing about) and classic tales and myths.  There's a lake in winter and storms and ice skating and definite creepy elements.  Some of the twists in the story are more common these days, but I suspect that they were most unexpected when it was written.  The story is not terribly fast paced, but that worked fine for me.  I'm working my way through Goodman's backlist and I'm delighted that I read this one.  It's recommended!  Have you read any of this author's books?  Her newest, The Other Mother, came out earlier this year.  I've not had a chance to get to it, but I'll make time for it soon.

Blurb:

Twenty years ago, Jane Hudson left the Heart Lake School for Girls in the Adirondacks after a terrible tragedy. Now she has returned to the placid, isolated shores of the lakeside school as a Latin teacher, recently separated and hoping to make a fresh start with her young daughter. But ominous messages from the past dredge up forgotten memories that will become a living nightmare.

Since freshmen year, Jane and her two roommates, Lucy Toller and Deirdre Hall, were inseparable–studying the classics, performing school girl rituals on the lake, and sneaking out after curfew to meet Lucy’s charismatic brother Matt. However, the last winter before graduation, everything changed. For in that sheltered, ice-encrusted wonderland, three lives were taken, all victims of senseless suicide. Only Jane was left to carry the burden of a mystery that has stayed hidden for more than two decades in the dark depths of Heart Lake.

Now pages from Jane’s missing journal, written during that tragic time, have reappeared, revealing shocking, long-buried secrets. And suddenly, young, troubled girls are beginning to die again . . . as piece by piece the shattering truth slowly floats to the surface.



30 comments:

  1. I've had this book on my radar for a few years now. No idea where I first read about it but I really must do something about getting it as it sounds like just my kind of thing from your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since it's older, it might be a little hard to find. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. I read The Lake of Dead Languages when it was first published and it is still one of my go-to recommendations for people. I haven't re-read it, so I always worry that my thoughts about it might change if I were to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember that you've mentioned it more than once. Bet that's why it sounded familiar to me when I saw it. Thanks! And I liked it a lot.

      Delete
  3. I read this one years ago, and it remains my favorite of the Goodman books I've read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought it was very good. I can see why it's your favorite.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read this one; and The Other Mother is a so-so read to me because it's a bit confusing and bizarre to me but still it was compelling enough for me to finish reading it. I'm curious about this one since you recommended it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a bit of mixed reviews of The Other Mother. If you can find this one, Melody, I think you might like it.

      Delete
  5. I remember wanting to read this book when it was released... the upstate NY and school setting caught my eye. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Goodman sets a lot of her books in upstate NY and in or close to schools. I like that.

      Delete
  6. This is the first Goodman novel I ever read and I totally loved it. I also really enjoyed The Seduction of Water and Arcadia Falls. Haven't yet read her latest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for talking about two other books by this author, Lark. As I said, I'm planning on trying more of her backlist.

      Delete
  7. I recently read another novel by Goodman, The Widow's House, and didn't really like it, but I'm always willing to try an author again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I read The Widow's House and also the book previous to that one, River Road. I did like both of them. This author seems to set her books around schools and professors a lot. You might like this one better.

      Delete
  8. I've read quite a few of her books and have totally enjoyed them. They're books I can count on you know. At least her older novels feel that way to me. I was just looking on her website and it looks like she also writers under other names! Will have to check those out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that she wrote under other names, though I did glance at her website. Thanks for mentioning it, Iliana. I did know that she'd written a YA trilogy.

      Delete
  9. I've only read Carol Goodman under her pseudonym Juliet Dark--and I loved those books. I know I will like this one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I'm glad you and Iliana mentioned her other names. I'll need to check those books out too.

      Delete
  10. I think this one is a little too spooky for me. I did get a new-to-me word (declension) from the first paragraph for my wondrous words posts. So, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go, Margot. 'Declension' was a new word to me too. As I said, I know nothing about Latin. I took German in high school and it's mostly been useful to understand a few terms on TV shows. Ha!

      Delete
  11. The excerpt certainly sounds good and interesting. I had not heard of this author before now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a few of her later books in the last few years. Now I'm trying to go back and read her earlier ones.

      Delete
  12. This one sounds very familiar Kay. I think I read it when it was first released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be surprised if you did read it, Diane. I think it was pretty popular.

      Delete
  13. I'm not interested in the book, but I did (do) love Latin. I can still remember some. If I ruled the world, every kid would take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They offered it at my high school, but I'm not sure I knew anyone who took it. There was also French and German and, of course, Spanish.

      Delete
  14. I've enjoyed all of Goodman's books, too. They're all kind of the same, but I don't care. They're shivery, compelling, and atmospheric. My kind of reads :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are some similarities in her books (though probably not her YA books because those are fantasy I think), but I like their Gothic-ness too.

      Delete
  15. I was sucked in by that blurb you included. I actually forgot I was reading a blurb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you should try this one, Ti. Just saying...ha!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!