.

.

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

First Chapter First Paragraph - The Last Time I Lied



I am linking up with Vicki @ I’d Rather Be At The Beach who hosts a meme every Tuesday to share the First Chapter First Paragraph or two of the book you are currently reading or plan to read soon.

Last year, I very much enjoyed reading Final Girls and talked about it here.  I mentioned this week's book as Riley Sager's next venture into the thriller realm.  I'm going to do a read/listen for this one as well - it begins at a summer camp...


 

First Paragraph(s):

This is how it begins.
     You wake to sunlight whispering through the trees just outside the window.  It's a faint light, weak and gray at the edges.  Dawn still shedding the skin of night.  Yet it's bright enough to make you roll over and face the wall, the mattress creaking beneath you.  Within that roll is a moment of disorientation, a split second when you don't know where you are.  It happens sometimes after a deep, dreamless slumber.  A temporary amnesia.  You see the fine grains of the pine-plank wall, smell the traces of campfire smoke in your hair, and know exactly where you are.
     Camp Nightingale.

Blurb:

Two Truths and a Lie. The girls played it all the time in their cabin at Camp Nightingale. Vivian, Natalie, Allison, and first-time camper Emma Davis, the youngest of the group. But the games ended the night Emma sleepily watched the others sneak out of the cabin into the darkness. The last she--or anyone--saw of them was Vivian closing the cabin door behind her, hushing Emma with a finger pressed to her lips.

Now a rising star in the New York art scene, Emma turns her past into paintings--massive canvases filled with dark leaves and gnarled branches that cover ghostly shapes in white dresses. When the paintings catch the attention of Francesca Harris-White, the wealthy owner of Camp Nightingale, she implores Emma to return to the newly reopened camp as a painting instructor. Seeing an opportunity to find out what really happened to her friends all those years ago, Emma agrees.

Familiar faces, unchanged cabins, and the same dark lake haunt Nightingale, even though the camp is opening its doors for the first time since the disappearances. Emma is even assigned to the same cabin she slept in as a teenager, but soon discovers a security camera--the only one on the property--pointed directly at its door. Then cryptic clues that Vivian left behind about the camp's twisted origins begin surfacing. As she digs deeper, Emma finds herself sorting through lies from the past while facing mysterious threats in the present. And the closer she gets to the truth about Camp Nightingale and what really happened to those girls, the more she realizes that closure could come at a deadly price.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I went to summer camp as a teen - only for a week each year, but since it was in Central Texas, our main purpose was to not burn up in the summer heat.  Did you 'do' camp?  Would you keep reading?

34 comments:

  1. That's a great opening, I'm in! Here's my pick for the week:
    http://bibliophilebythesea.blogspot.com/2019/01/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday_29.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, an intense psychological thriller! I almost read his book last year but chickened out :) I might give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get around to it before long and try to share about it.

      Delete
  3. I hope you enjoy this one. It was my Book of the Month Club choice a few months back, but it's still sitting in my reading pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The previous book, FINAL GIRLS, was a Book of the Month selection for me. I liked that one.

      Delete
  4. I went camping as a teen, but not to an organized summer camp. I am intrigued by this one. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't go camping, but we did stay in these cabins. Lots of girls. Lots of drama. Ha!

      Delete
  5. I'd definitely keep on reading. It sounds like something I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one wants to know what came next and then what happened when Emma grew up and came back to the camp.

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to read this ! The camp sounds pretty scary :) I need to know why / more!

    Here's my Tuesday post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doing 'camp' is not something we do in the UK but it always sounded appealing, less so perhaps now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I ever thought about 'camp' being an American thing. Guess it is. Well, happily, most summer camps are fun enough or more than this one seems to be.

      Delete
  8. I've always been drawn to books set at summer camp (probably because I always wanted to go to summer camp and never got the chance), which is why I decided to read this one. And I really liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know that you liked it, Lark. Thanks for telling me. :-)

      Delete
  9. I haven't read anything by Sager although I keep meaning to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nope, I would never go to summer camp! I picked this one up at the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nise', my summer camp was only a week each time and it was church camp, so innocuous enough. LOL

      Delete
  11. This sounds SO GOOD! I camped with the Girl Scouts and camped with my family in our lake cabin and also our camper but never went to a kids summer camp. I loved camping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't love camping in a tent and have never had a camper. However, we did church camp with the cabins and girls and lots of drama (of course) - ha!

      Delete
  12. Sounds intriguingly creepy. I would read it. I hate camping. I went to girl scout camp for a weekend once. One night. I didn't sleep all night, sleeping on the hard floor of a cabin. And I didn't use the out house all weekend. I did go camping a few times as an adult. Too much work. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was an out house?? Ha! The camps I went to were primitive, but at least there were bunkbeds and a tolerable bathroom situation.

      Delete
  13. I have at least one other book by Sager on my TBR but this appeals to me even more. It looks super creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It will likely appear on my listening schedule before long.

      Delete
  14. I went to 4H camp every year and loved it. I like the sound of this book. See what Susan is featuring at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So several of us did camps of some kind. :-)

      Delete
  15. I've never been to a summer camp; I suppose it'd be fun if you've good company. I've loved Sager's books so far and I can't wait for his next release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was fun for the most part. In our area, if you could tolerate the heat, the humidity, no air conditioning, mosquito bites, etc. Ha!

      Delete
  16. I never went to summer camp but wondered what it must have been like. I listened to Final Girls recently and enjoyed it so I'll probably check out more by this author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good to know that you read Final Girls and liked it.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!