.

.

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Kingdom of the Blind - Louise Penny

Kingdom of the Blind by Louise Penny

First Paragraph(s):

Armand Gamache slowed his car to a crawl, then stopped on the snow-covered secondary road.
     This was it, he supposed.  Pulling in, he drove between the tall pine trees until he reached the clearing.
     There he parked the car and sat in the warm vehicle looking out at the cold day.  Snow flurries were hitting the windshield and dissolving.  They were coming down with more force now, slightly obscuring what he saw outside.  Turning away, he stared at the letter he'd received the day before, lying open on the passenger seat.
     Putting on his reading glasses, he rubbed his face.  And read it again.  It was an invitation of sorts, to this desolate place.

My Thoughts:

I never exactly know what to say when I've finished a book by Louise Penny.  I tend to want to hoard them and save my first reading for a 'just the right moment' situation.  Sometimes I can't wait.  Sometimes I do.  I always enjoy my reading and savor the story, the characters, the themes.  Honestly, I wasn't sure that we'd get a book from Louise this year and she herself has said she didn't intend to write one.  Here's a bit from her acknowledgments:

A funny thing happened on my way to not writing this book.
     I started writing.
     The truth is, I've known since I began writing Still Life that if Michael died, I couldn't continue with the series.  Not simply because he was the inspiration for Gamache, and it would be too painful, but because he's imbued every aspect of the books....

She tells that one day she sat at her computer and wrote two words - Armand Gamache.  The next day she wrote 5 more...and so on.  And she says that she realized that the books are more than her Michael and more than Gamache - they are about kindness, acceptance, gratitude, about life, and about consequences of the choices we make. 

I feel that Louise Penny has a rare gift of not only writing a compelling mystery series, but a recitation of important themes and behaviors to strive for.  She writes of the human condition and frailties of humanity and the strengths.  I feel these books are quite deep and very thought-provoking.  They may not strike everyone that way, but that's what I get from them.

As to this particular book, the reader gets to reconnect with many characters that we know and love.  Some of the stories from the previous book, Glass Houses, are continued or even wrapped up.  New bonds are formed.  Certain endings are hinted at.  I was happy to see that Myrna, the bookseller and former psychologist from Three Pines, has a very prominent part in the story.  And in the end, I was satisfied.  Some readers have wondered whether the series will go on in the future.  In her last newsletter, Louise said that it indeed will go on and she's working on the next book.  That makes me very happy and the wait begins again. 

Blurb:

When a peculiar letter arrives inviting Armand Gamache to an abandoned farmhouse, the former head of the Sûreté du Québec discovers that a complete stranger has named him one of the executors of her will. Still on suspension, and frankly curious, Gamache accepts and soon learns that the other two executors are Myrna Landers, the bookseller from Three Pines, and a young builder.

None of them had ever met the elderly woman.

The will is so odd and includes bequests that are so wildly unlikely that Gamache and the others suspect the woman must have been delusional. But what if, Gamache begins to ask himself, she was perfectly sane?

When a body is found, the terms of the bizarre will suddenly seem less peculiar and far more menacing.

But it isn’t the only menace Gamache is facing.

The investigation into what happened six months ago—the events that led to his suspension—has dragged on, into the dead of winter. And while most of the opioids he allowed to slip through his hands, in order to bring down the cartels, have been retrieved, there is one devastating exception.

Enough narcotic to kill thousands has disappeared into inner city Montreal. With the deadly drug about to hit the streets, Gamache races for answers.

As he uses increasingly audacious, even desperate, measures to retrieve the drug, Armand Gamache begins to see his own blind spots. And the terrible things hiding there.

------------------------------------------------

This book will qualify for the Canadian Book Challenge.

32 comments:

  1. Kay, I love your thoughts on this book. I've only read the first in the series but have several more on my kindle. I'll get to them eventually. Good to know she intends to continue the series especially after her loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was happy to know that too, Mary. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. This is one of those series that works its way into your heart. The characters, the setting, the themes--all of the things you mention become so much more than words in a book. I'm behind in the series now, but I look forward to meeting the characters each time I open a Gamache and Three Pines novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both, Jenclair! And, yes, it does work its way into your heart. That's an excellent way to put it.

      Delete
  3. Confession. I've never read Penny before. What you said about hoarding her books for the right time, really makes me want to read her stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti, it's OK. You don't have to read this author. You have your own authors that make your heart go pitty-pat. Ha! However, if you ever want to try a long-running mystery series, this would be the one I'd recommend.

      Delete
  4. I definitely hoard these books, as witnessed by the fact that I'm only on THE LONG WAY HOME (#10). It's a comfort series for me and one that I never want to end! I'm so glad you introduced me to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, it is my aim in life to introduce this series to as many as I can. I know that it doesn't work for everyone (which is A-OK), but it's a good one to suggest to people who are looking for a series that will grab you.

      Delete
  5. How sad about Penny's husband but I hope the writing was healing for her. This sounds intriguing and encourages me to continue with the series. I love Gamache!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, her husband had dementia and he passed away last year. It was a tough time for her, but she seems to be coming through it with grace. I'm happy that she will be OK and that her writing seems to be helping her recover.

      Delete
  6. Wow, book 14, I did not realize the series was that far along. I have read only the first three and have at least the 4th one on my shelves. Thanks for all that information about her getting back to writing the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she's come out with a book a year I think. This one was published later than usual (late fall) and I think she was a little nervous about that. Thought it might get lost in the shuffle of the holiday season. I don't think that happened.

      Delete
  7. This is another series and author I've been meaning to read for quite some time. Maybe this will be the year I finally get 'round to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, Lark. You read a lot of series and unfortunately we can't get to them all can we? Sigh.

      Delete
  8. I picked up a copy of The Cruelest Month at the library yesterday. I have a lot to read to get caught up and I'm eager to start in on this one. Thank you for not spoiling anything about this most recent novel, although by the time I get to it, I will have forgotten everything you wrote! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long time since I read The Cruelest Month. Trying to remember what happened in that one. I do know that the 4th book is a particular favorite of mine and then others down the line. Enjoy, Les. Or I hope you enjoy. Ha!

      Delete
    2. Haha to Les. Such a funny last sentence. Another writer, beloved to me, also wrote a book called The Cruellest Month - a Mrs Malory mystery by Hazel Holt. I guess in Canada they don't use the two Ls.

      Delete
    3. Nor in the US. Apparently, 'cruelest' or 'cruellest' is correct depending on which side of the pond one is located. :-)

      Delete
  9. Such beautiful sentiments Kay. I've only read the first, bit one day hope to continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, it's just the feelings I get when I read one of these books. I suspect each of us have authors who have the ability to 'talk to our hearts'. :-)

      Delete
  10. I really, really need to catch up on this series! I’ve only read the first book. I’m glad you enjoy this series so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting to be a long series now, Sam. Perhaps one day you can read through it. You're at a very busy time of life for sure. :-)

      Delete
  11. I have this ready to go in Audible but have been waiting for the right moment to start it...not so many other distractions. Glad to hear it is as good as the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it very much, so I'll be curious to hear what you think. I also need to ask Monica what she thought. She was reading it just after Christmas. Don't think she went back and read all the previous books this time. She's done that more than once.

      Delete
  12. I'm so looking forward to reading this one. I'm really glad she continued (and will continue) with the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too. I'm glad that it still helps her process the ups and downs in her life. And we get to revisit Three Pines again.

      Delete
  13. I must get back to this series!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have yet to read this author SIGH but I need to. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila!! So good to see a comment from you. It's been a while since we connected.

      Delete
  15. I was reading The Beautiful Mystery but had to return it to the library before I was done. Can't wait to get it again. You are right, her stories really bring up more about life and relationships than the typical mystery. I'm glad to hear she plans to continue with more books in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved The Beautiful Mystery. That whole unique setting at the monastery.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!