.

.

Friday, January 18, 2019

Nine Perfect Strangers - Liane Moriarty

I finished listening to Caroline Lee's great narration of Nine Perfect Strangers this morning and decided to share a few of my thoughts.  It was the book I featured on Tuesday in my First Chapter First Paragraph post, so I won't repeat the blurb or the beginning - you can read that here if you like.

I mentioned that I've had Liane Moriarty on a 'favorite author' list since I read The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies several years ago.  I was not as pleased with the last book, Truly Madly Guilty.  I think Moriarty was propelled into 'even more famous' status after the TV adaptation of Big Little Lies and the actors that played the main parts.  Many people 'discovered' her books.  And had expectations.  So, what did I think?

Well, I wasn't sure I was going to be so pleased with the book.  It contains a lot of characters and the viewpoint shifts from person to person, though more of the book is told through a subset of 4 or 5 people.  A lot of the more negative reviews mentioned the many characters and viewpoint shifts.  It begins with a woman who is suffering a heart attack and seems to have died.  We then move 10 years down the road and meet 9 people who are arriving at a health resort way out in the Australian countryside.  They are there to 'transform' their lives through various means - many of the current trends, fads, whatever you want to call behaviors that improve your body and spirit.  It turns out not at all like what they thought.  It gets completely wacky or 'bonkers' as Cleo mentioned in her review here last fall.

As I listened and thought, this is too weird, but kept going, I decided that I did like the book.  Parts of the way the characters interacted and related reminded me of this author's treatment of people in other books - books I loved.  I didn't mind lots of characters or viewpoints.  There was humor and poignant stories too.  In the end, as the characters changed and 'transformed' (maybe not how we anticipated), I liked most of them a lot better too.  And that's all I'll say because I don't want to give away too much.

Even though I don't think this book will top my two favorites by Liane Moriarty, I liked it a lot.  I'll keep reading her books and I'd also like to go back and try her backlist.  Have you read this one or others that I didn't mention here?  Ones you would recommend?  Let me know.  And would you go to a health retreat for a vacation?  I don't think I see that in my future - certainly not one like this!  Ha!   

33 comments:

  1. I’ve only read Big Little Lies by her but I really enjoyed it and plan to read more of her books! I’ve seen mixed reviews for this one but do want to check it out for myself! Was the audio version a good way to go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I liked the audio. Caroline Lee reads this one and also several more of Moriarty's books. She has a great Australian accent.

      Delete
  2. I've been reading mixed things about this book and haven't decided if I'll read it or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that, Kathy. I think the reception has been a bit tepid for many.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read it and not sure if its for me. I really appreciate your thoughts on it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly understand that, Mary. We all have our little niches don't we?

      Delete
  4. Sounds a little complicated; with the cast of characters and various viewpoints but I'm still keen to read it, though I'm in no hurry. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, the characters are pretty distinct, so that reader doesn't really mix them up. They are of various ages, genders, etc.

      Delete
  5. I've seen some mixed reviews of this, but your review is intriguing so I might just give it a try. My sister picked it up from the library and plans to start it over the weekend.... will see what she thinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll be curious to hear what she thinks too, JoAnn. I haven't heard of very many who have finished it - of people I know anyway.

      Delete
  6. I'm afraid I'm among those who didn't care for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, well...sorry about that, but we can't love them all can we?

      Delete
  7. I've not read this author before but I have this one on hold just based on the premise. But now I am wondering if I will like it. I don't mind a lot of characters if they are handled well and useful to tell the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti, all the characters are distinct and useful. It becomes clear pretty quickly who is who. You might try it and see what you think and then if you don't feel it's for you, move along. LOL

      Delete
  8. I read The Husband's Secret in 2015 and thought it was good, but not great. The first book of Moriarty's that I read and loved was What Alice Forgot. I gave it a 4.5/5 rating on my review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was talking to some of the library staff this morning about What Alice Forgot. I'd like to read that one before long. A couple of the staff had this one on hold, but thought it would be months before they got it. They were asking me what I thought. ;-)

      Delete
  9. I too am on the fence with this, but I really did like some of her earlier books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm not sure if she has changed how she writes or what. In any case, I did like this one much better than the one just previous.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for another great review, Kay. I haven't read any of this author's books yet, but they are definitely on my list, especially "Big Little Lies," which I've been meaning to read since it first came out.

    On another note--so glad to see you back! I've missed connecting with you and getting your book insights while you were away. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, J.P.! Yes, if you want to try one of her books, I'd recommend Big Little Lies or maybe What Alice Forgot, which my friend Les recommended in the comment above.

      Delete
    2. You're so welcome. :) I will add both to my TBR list (which is getting very long!). Enjoy your day, Kay.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you ended up liking this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad to hear you liked this one! I've seen a lot of mixed reviews. I don't mind a book with a lot of viewpoints, makes it interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't think it quite suited a lot of readers, but that happens. Especially, I think, when writers get 'noticed' more than they had been because of film or TV adaptations. Anyway, I'll still be trying whatever she'd like to write.

      Delete
  13. I just read Emily Carpenter's newest psychological thriller and it's about a woman who gets sent to a remote "restoration" spa that's not quite what it seems ... after reading this and NINE PERFECT STRANGERS, I can safely say that I will NEVER go to a health spa. LOL.

    I'm glad you liked this one. I also liked it more than most people, although NINE PERFECT STRANGERS is FAR from my favorite Moriarty novel. I did like her treatment of the characters, as you mentioned. That were funny, interesting, and mostly likable. I wanted more action from the book, since not a whole lot happens until suddenly at the end, a lot happens. Anyway, glad you liked the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for telling me about Emily Carpenter's newest and the plotline there. I want to read all her books after having read your thoughts on them. And, no, I don't think I will be going to a health spa either. Ha!

      Delete
  14. Interesting review! I haven't read any of Moriarty's books, but think I need to get to them. So many of my friends and family like her work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has definitely become popular in the last couple of years.

      Delete
  15. I am a fan of Liane Moriarty and must stress that I was initially doubtful about whether I was going to enjoy this one, by the end I loved it - probably not my favourite but it certainly has much to recommend it in a bonkers kind of way - thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your 'bonkers' term and I think people will enjoy your thoughts on this book too. Yes, I think your reaction is very similar to mine.

      Delete
  16. I don't mind a lot of characters but I realize these types of books I definitely prefer a paper copy so I can easily flip back and forth to remind myself who's who! I really enjoyed her book The Husband's Secret so would like to read more by her!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!