.

.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

First Chapter First Paragraph - Nine Perfect Strangers



I am linking up with Vicki @ I’d Rather Be At The Beach who hosts a meme every Tuesday to share the First Chapter First Paragraph or two of the book you are currently reading or plan to read soon.

The book I'm sharing this week is by an author that I've read before.  In fact, a couple of her books are among my favorites in the last decade, The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies.  Her last book, Truly Madly Guilty, was not as much of a winner with me.  I've heard mixed reactions to this new one, but I'm hopeful.  It's narrated again by Caroline Lee and though several have criticized her voice and pace in this book, I'm finding it just as pleasing as those I've heard her narrate before.  Here's the beginning of:



First Paragraph(s):

'I'm fine,' said the woman.  'There's nothing wrong with me.'
     She didn't look fine to Yao.
     It was his first day as a trainee paramedic.  His third call-out.  Yao wasn't nervous, but he was in a hypervigilant state because he couldn't bear to make even an inconsequential mistake.  When he was a child, mistakes had made him wail inconsolably, and they still made his stomach cramp.
     A single bead of perspiration rolled down the woman's face, leaving a snail's trail through her makeup.  Yao wondered why women painted their faces orange, but that was not relevant.

Blurb:

 Nine people gather at a remote health resort. Some are here to lose weight, some are here to get a reboot on life, some are here for reasons they can’t even admit to themselves. Amidst all of the luxury and pampering, the mindfulness and meditation, they know these ten days might involve some real work. But none of them could imagine just how challenging the next ten days are going to be.

Frances Welty, the formerly best-selling romantic novelist, arrives at Tranquillum House nursing a bad back, a broken heart, and an exquisitely painful paper cut. She’s immediately intrigued by her fellow guests. Most of them don’t look to be in need of a health resort at all. But the person that intrigues her most is the strange and charismatic owner/director of Tranquillum House. Could this person really have the answers Frances didn’t even know she was seeking? Should Frances put aside her doubts and immerse herself in everything Tranquillum House has to offer – or should she run while she still can?

It’s not long before every guest at Tranquillum House is asking exactly the same question.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Have you read Nine Perfect Strangers or other books by Liane Moriarty?  What's your opinion if you have?  Would you continue?

41 comments:

  1. I just picked this up from library - mixed reviews but, I hope we love it.
    Here's my pick:http://bibliophilebythesea.blogspot.com/2019/01/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday_15.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about 2/3 through it, Diane. Interesting....

      Delete
  2. I've seen this book around the blogoverse but I haven't read it. I hope you enjoy it. See what I'm featuring at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read The Husband's Secret in 2013 and liked it a lot. Strange that I haven't followed up on this author even after seeing so many positive reviews of Big Little Lies. Looking forward to your review of this latest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to post a short one when I finish, Jenclair.

      Delete
  4. I've enjoyed this author before and I have this one on my wishlist. I definitely want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's different and the jury is still out so far, Yvonne.

      Delete
  5. Big Little Lies is the only one of her books I've read- loved it! Hope this one is just as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said above, jury is still out, JoAnn...Ha!

      Delete
  6. I have the book in my queue...and hope to start reading it soon. I hope you love it! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I think it's been on lots of lists from what I'm seeing. :-)

      Delete
  7. I gotta get my hands on this. I requested it from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti, I bet your library list is long, long, long...hope it doesn't take forever for you to get it.

      Delete
  8. I like the first paragraph snd would like to keep going. I really need to start reading this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, I'd start with Big Little Lies or The Husband's Secret. Maybe not this one or the previous one.

      Delete
  9. Oh yes, this is one of my book beginnings! I'm keen to read this one too. Here is my Tuesday post! Hope your day is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not read this one yet, but plan on getting to it sometime this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll watch for your reaction, Nise'. Will be curious what you think.

      Delete
  11. I am a big Liane Moriarty fan and I have read this one - I think my review in one word was 'bonkers' but I meant that in a good way - enjoy Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, that's a good word for it, Cleo - bonkers. Yep. I agree. I'll write a short review when I finish.

      Delete
  12. Oh I love the idea of a health retreat! So I want to read this one and find out what awaits each person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, it's a wacky health retreat for sure. Maybe not one I'd like to attend. I'll write a short review when I finish, but I won't give everything away. Ha!

      Delete
  13. I would read it. Sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty interesting. Might not be to everyone's taste.

      Delete
  14. I loved Little Lies and didn't enjoy Truly. Madly, Guilty so decided not to go for this one even though the blurb makes it sound like it might be fun. So I'll be interested to know what you think of it - maybe you'll change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll write a short review when I finish in a few days.

      Delete
  15. I've really enjoyed Moriarty's books, although I agree, Truly, Madly, Guilty was not a favorite of mine. Hope you enjoy this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think several of us didn't like Truly Madly Guilty as well. I'll be curious to read what some other think of this one. It's different for sure.

      Delete
  16. I loved The Husband's Secret but didn't make it through Truly Madly Guilty. Hope this one is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about what you say here. Sigh. I'll share what I think about this new one in a few days. I'm closing in on the last couple of hours of the audio.

      Delete
  17. I'll be interested to see what you think of this one. I liked it, but I didn't love it. Her older books are much better than these new ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I do agree with you about the older books and my perception of the newer ones. I'm liking this one, but...I'll share more in a few days.

      Delete
  18. I've heard of the mixed reactions to this book too and like you, I'm hopeful. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost finished with it, Melody. Look for my thoughts on Friday.

      Delete
  19. Maybe I should do a post like this for some of the books sitting on my shelves that I am uncertain whether to read. (Most would be older, though.) Maybe I would get some good feedback.

    I have not read anything by this author, but did think about trying this one, and the first paragraphs you have shared here sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might try the meme, Tracy, or maybe after you aren't working. Didn't you say that your time of working was coming to an end? I'll have my thoughts about this book up tomorrow as I finished it today.

      Delete
    2. I am planning on retiring in December of this year. I wish it was sooner, but I am looking forward to that. And you are right, trying new and different things on the blog will probably wait until then.

      Delete
  20. Grabbed my attention! I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did and I finished it. It was good, though the story didn't necessarily go in the way I expected. Ha!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!