.

.

Friday, April 3, 2020

The Return of the Raven Mocker by Donis Casey...if you'd like a historical look at a pandemic from a great mystery series...

The Return of the Raven Mocker is the 9th book in Donis Casey's historical mystery series set in early 20th century Oklahoma.  Donis has written a 10-book series that tells about Alafair Tucker, her husband Shaw, and their family of 10 children.  This particular book is set in 1918 and lets us know what's happened to the Tucker family during war time.  Mostly, it's about the flu epidemic and how it affects Boynton and Oklahoma and the Tuckers.  I read this book about 3 years ago soon after a bout of flu, so it was interesting to me in that regard.  It might be interesting to you as well.  Alafair is a farm wife and a skilled amateur healer.  Plus she also does some crime investigation as well.  She has experience with 10 children and has nursed many family members through illness.  She has her own opinions about remedies and how to best keep this severe flu from spreading.  After Alice and Walter, her daughter and son-in-law, are stricken, Alafair moves to town to nurse them, while placing her younger children and grandchildren in quarantine with Mary, another daughter.  Flu spreads rapidly through the town and people are sick and some die.  The people in the house next door to Alice have flu, but when two of them die and it turns out they were poisoned, Alafair tells the sheriff and his deputy what she has observed.  I loved this book, but will say that it was not a very complicated mystery to solve.  I enjoyed reading more about the way that a pandemic was dealt with and also was interested in some of the 'home remedies' that the author shared at the end of the book.  Remedies that I remember my own grandmother using.  Again, I love the characters and setting!

I also wanted to share the link to a guest post that Donis did on the Mystery Fanfare blog last Friday.  It was entitled What To Do When You Don't Know What To Do and in it, Donis talks about her research in writing The Return of the Raven Mocker and shares some of the 'old time' remedies.  Take a look!  And if you're thinking about reading something different, you might try this series.  The first book is The Old Buzzard Had It Coming

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As usual, I'll wish all of you a safe, sensible, and healthy day.  Take care!

20 comments:

  1. I love that title and cover! That alone makes me want to give this one a read. Hope you have a good weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark, and hope you have a good weekend as well. This is a great series if you like historical fiction. The author based characters and some events on things that she knew of from her own family and then expanded.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, definitely one of my favorites. I haven't read the new book yet - the one about Blanche in the 20's.

      Delete
  3. Oh this looks good and definitely a bit different from my usual! I'm not sure I'm read for a flu epidemic book but I definitely want to read it later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was a bit hesitant to post about it, but I enjoyed that article that Donis wrote. Decided it was a good book to see how other pandemic events were handled and make us grateful for some of the things that we still have - like technology.

      Delete
  4. I put this on my audible list. I plan on starting it Monday. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it Gayle. I think you'll find the medical aspects interesting.

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love the sound of this one, Kay. Another series to look into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great series, Cath, and I think you'd like it.

      Delete
  6. This should be an excellent book to read at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great story and it also has a lot of insights into how life was in Oklahoma at that point in history.

      Delete
  7. This does sound like a good series but I admit I probably wouldn't be able to read this one just yet. I'm finding it hard to read in general so I'm leaning to more fluffy type books! Stay safe Kay! Can you believe how cold it is here today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I couldn't believe how cold it was, but I've just gotten back from a walk this afternoon and it's much better. I'm thinking this last 'big' chill might be our last for this year, don't you think?

      Delete
  8. This sounds good to me! Love that cover, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting book, and I may look into the series. I had read that post at Mystery Fanfare. What a lot of research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the author's family is from that part of the country so she had some knowledge, but all her books have had lots of research. I've loved the series.

      Delete
  10. I'm always interested in a good series!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!