.

.

Friday, June 22, 2018

Bookish Nostalgia - June 2018



Welcome to Bookish Nostalgia for June 2018.  I've kept records of books I read for over 25 years and I enjoy looking back through my reading journals to see what I was reading 5, 10, 15, and 20 years ago.  Let's see what I remember about what I was reading in those years:



June 1998 - Summer Sisters by Judy Blume - It's a funny thing - I never read a Judy Blume book until I read this one 20 years ago.  And it's still the only one I've ever read.  I remember liking this story of two friends, first in the teen years and then as adults.  I don't remember a whole lot else.  Have thought about rereading it, but I probably won't.  There are a lot more 'summer' books like this to explore these days.  Are you a Judy Blume fan?



June 2003 - Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik - I've read several books by Lorna Landvik and had to miss a book conference many years ago where she appeared.  Had two friends who did get to meet her.  Anyway, as you might be able to tell, this is a book about a group of friends who live in a neighborhood - 5 of them - and their years together.  The ups and downs and happy and sad.  Isn't that cover great?  I really should reread this one.  Have you read any books by Lorna Landvik?



June 2008 - I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron - This is a short little book of essays by the very funny and snarky Nora Ephron.  The titles are things like 'Blind as a Bat' and 'I Hate My Purse' and, of course, the one about the neck.  I'm pretty sure I've also listened to this book as a reread, narrated by the author.  Not all the essays are hilarious, but some are.  I do know that since I've lost quite a bit of a weight, I feel 'bad' about my neck!  It has more wrinkles and 'stuff' than it used to.  Ha!  A little book for women of 'a certain age'.  I'm definitely going to reread this one soon.



June 2013 - Search the Shadows by Barbara Michaels - Reading Search the Shadows in 2013 - well, definitely a reread.  This is one of my favorite books by an author that I've loved since I was about 15.  As I've shared before, Barbara Mertz (Michaels/Elizabeth Peters) held a PhD from the Oriental Institute in Chicago, which she acquired in 1952.  She was an Egyptologist first and then an author.  That Chicago school features in this book.  Haskell Maloney is an orphan who tries to find out more about her mother, a student at the Institute in her younger days.  Haskell has discovered that she is a carrier for Tay-Sachs, a genetic disease that would be unlikely from an Irish-Catholic father and a Pennsylvania Dutch mother.  Full of dark secrets, this is from the period where Michaels moved away from her earlier 'ghost' stories into romantic suspense.  I thoroughly enjoyed my reread.   

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And so we end this month's Bookish Nostalgia.  Have you read any of these books?  Hope you'll join me again next month to see what July books I remember from my journals.

32 comments:

  1. I read Summer Sisters when it came out and remember liking it okay but I can't think of any details in it.

    I've only read one Barbara Michaels long ago but this one by her sounds good.

    It's so much fun to look back at what one has read in the past; I wish I had started this tradition way back when, but I can always start this habit now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really can start doing this. I like using actual journals instead of doing Goodreads or something like that. Not as high tech, but there was barely any tech when I started doing this in 1993. Ha!

      Delete
  2. I feel like I have read Summer Sisters but I cannot for the life of me remember it. There was a time when I read several of Judy's lesser-known works, but they have not stayed with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of people read her books when they were kids. Somehow I missed them. Too busy reading Nancy Drew and the like. LOL

      Delete
  3. Funny, Summer Sisters is also the only Judy Blume book I've read... though I don't remember a thing about it. I loved I Feel Bad About My Neck! The audio version was excellent, though I have a print copy, too.

    Your post reminds me that I should get back to my "Pages From the Past" series. Now that we're home, my old reading journals are handy again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, JoAnn. I always loved reading them. And I think it's fun to look back and also bring some older books to mind. Sometimes I think in the blogging world, we are only about the 'new'. We shouldn't be. Right?

      Delete
  4. I really liked I Feel Bad About My Neck -- which I read after seeing her in an interview. I've read some of her other essays as well; she was a funny woman! I've also enjoyed many Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters books as well as a nonfiction book on Egypt under her real name. This is bookish nostalgia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Neck book was definitely a favorite and I read very little non-fiction. Nora Ephron was so witty and funny. I did know that Barbara Mertz wrote a non-fiction book about Egypt, but I've never read it.

      Delete
  5. I remember reading Summer Sisters. Probably around the same time as you. Maybe we read it in our group? I doubt I'll read it a second time, either, since I have a vague recollection that I didn't love it.

    I've read all of Landvik's books and thoroughly enjoyed meeting her at that conference. She was a hoot!! Were you aware that she used to do stand-up comedy? I still have this book and might read it again, too. Let me know if you do and I'll join you.

    I'll also reread the Ephron book, too. It was quite funny and I, too, feel bad about my neck these days. Where did those wrinkles come from??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you telling me that Lorna Landvik had done stand-up. I liked several of her books - some were like this - women and friendships - some about families - that one about the beauty shop (somehow that makes me think of Dolly Parton - ha!). As to the neck and wrinkles - gah!

      Delete
  6. I haven't read any of these books, but I was a big Judy Blume fan when I was a preteen/young teen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was when most read Blume's books. :-)

      Delete
  7. I haven't read any of these books but the Nora Ephron essays appeal as I am now a woman of a certain age. When did that happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I understand, Cath. I think you'd like the 'Neck' book. LOL

      Delete
  8. I read a couple Judy Blume books when I was a kid - Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret is the one that sticks out the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as I said to Susan, I think that's when most read Judy Blume's books. She's written a couple for adults.

      Delete
  9. I remember reading Angry Housewives and I Feel Bad About My Neck. I enjoyed them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were both worthwhile and I liked them a lot. :-)

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed Summer Sisters. I grew up reading Judy Blume's children's books. I haven't read the other books you mention. Someday I would like to read Nora Ephron's book. Thank you for taking us on a trip down memory lane. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the 'memory lane' posts, Wendy. It's fun to think back and see what I was reading in the past.

      Delete
  11. Can I tell you how much I love your book records?! How I wish I had kept track of my reading through the decades. Such a blessing to reflect on your literary life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm glad I've done for as long as I have. I wish I had done it longer. I knew a woman who had kept a record since she was 8 years old. I'd love if I had all my book titles since that time. Sometimes I want to think of one and the title is right there...but then it's gone. LOL

      Delete
  12. I've read the first 3 from your list. I loved "I Feel bad About My Neck", LOL, probably because I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't think I felt so 'bad' about my neck when I first read that book, but time has passed - so, yes. LOL

      Delete
  13. I owned Summer Sisters at one point but never read it and now there are so many other books I want to read that I doubt I'll ever get to it! It does sound so summer-y. I LOVE Search the Shadows! It's one of my favorite Barbara Michaels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you and I share that love for Barbara Michaels!

      Delete
  14. I love how you look back at some of the books you have read in the past. I remember reading Angry Housewives and I Feel Bad About My Neck. Funny. In 2008, I'd didn't feel bad about my neck, but, now....

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the neck - ah well, just one more thing that changes. Nora Ephron had a lot of funny things to say about those types of things - right?

      Delete
  15. I think I read Angry Housewives but don't remember much about it. I have the Nora Ephron book. I think my sister gave it to me when I turned 50. lol It's funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny. What one would expect given the author, right?

      Delete
  16. Oh, I remember Judy Blume from my youth but have not read her adult books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Blume was a favorite of many when they were much younger. Maybe I was too old for her or probably too involved with Nancy Drew. Ha!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!