.

.

Monday, June 4, 2018

Cold, Cold Heart - Christine Poulson

Cold, Cold Heart by Christine Poulson

First Paragraph(s):

As Flora drove up the rutted track to the cottage, she thought for a moment that someone had switched on a light upstairs, but it was only the setting sun striking fire from a bedroom window.  She parked the svelte Porsche Panamera that had been Michael's wedding present.  It was still a new toy and she'd enjoyed the drive from Cambridge.  She got out of the car and shivered, pulled her coat around her.  The sun had gone down behind the little grove of pines that served as a windbreak.  It was the first time she'd been here alone and it occurred to her that another woman might have felt uneasy.  The nearest neighbour was a farmer a mile or two away across the fields.  But she wasn't the nervous type, and she was looking forward to having time to herself.
     She took the cat carrier from the car.  Marmaduke, her long-haired mackerel tabby, liked it here and could be trusted not to run away.  'Off you go, little tiger,' she said, as she let him out.  He snuffed the air, and set off with a purposeful air to patrol the garden.

My Thoughts:

Oh, I did enjoy this book - truly.  I read about it on someone's blog and I can't remember who recommended it - was it you?  Anyway, the setting is Antarctica for most of the book.  I love books set in Antarctica, though I know I will never, ever visit and really don't want to.  Too cold.  Cold, Cold Heart is actually the second book in Christine Poulson's series featuring Katie Flanagan.  Deep Water is the first book.  I'm sure I'll read it soon.  This book is actually a sort of 'locked room' tale, which I also love.  There are parts set in England where a woman goes missing, but most of the story tells of a murder in a remote scientific outpost of Antarctica - in the time period where the sun never rises - 24 hours of dark.  Katie and her colleagues are settled in, someone can't be found and then the body is discovered.  The murderer has to be one of the other people, but who?  The story also relates to a big discovery that might possibly be a cure for certain cancers.  There is a lot of info about what it might be like to be isolated for months on end and how there is still communication through email and other methods. 

I was able to meet this author at the Malice convention and I really enjoyed what she had to say about her research.  I'm hoping there will be another book in the series.  I liked Katie and want to follow her journey as a scientist.  This one is recommended!

Blurb:

Midwinter in Antarctica. Six months of darkness are about to begin. Scientist Katie Flanagan has an undeserved reputation as a trouble-maker and her career has foundered. When an accident creates an opening on a remote Antarctic research base she seizes it, flying in on the last plane before the subzero temperatures make it impossible to leave. Meanwhile patent lawyer Daniel Marchmont has been asked to undertake due diligence on a breakthrough cancer cure. But the key scientist is strangely elusive and Daniel uncovers a dark secret that leads to Antarctica. Out on the ice a storm is gathering. As the crew lock down the station they discover a body and realise that they are trapped with a killer…

28 comments:

  1. You and I both enjoy armchair travel. I love reading about Antarctica and the Amazon jungle, and I know that I have no earthly desire to physically step foot in either place. One is too blessed cold, and the other has insects and diseases that are too horrible to contemplate! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! I can add the Amazon to other place I don't want to visit, but would be happy to read about. Ha!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I'm intrigued enough to want to pick this one up. Or maybe go for the first one first :)

    Thanks, Kay as always. I love atmospheric tales set in isolated lands, even better if the weather plays a huge factor in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you want the weather to be a factor, this is the book for you. LOL

      Delete
  3. Adding this one to my list! I'm in the mood for a good mystery set in a cold climate. Thanks, Kay. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jenclair, something about 100-plus temps just makes me want to read about snow. LOL

      Delete
  4. Sounds good, Kay. It's funny that you love to read "cold weather" books but have no interest in going to Antarctica. This sounds similar to my love of survival/mountaineering stories...that I (hopefully!) will never experience in real life! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm interested in many things and many places, but mostly from the comfort of my own house. Ha!

      Delete
  5. I want to read this one just for the Antarctica setting! The fact that it's also an enjoyable read is icing on the cake. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure Antartica must be an amazing experience but I can't imagine visiting. Granted when we are in the 100s here then I wish I was there! haha... Sounds like a great mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised when a member of one of my book groups took a trip to Antarctica in the winter. Couldn't imagine actually visiting.

      Delete
  7. I too like books set in Antarctica. I wouldn't mind visiting, but I don't think it's in our budget. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you liked this book, Kay. I have read both of the books about Katie Flanagan and I loved reading about Antarctica and that type of experience in Cold, Cold Heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I think you're the one that I remember talking about this book. I just couldn't think who it was. So glad you recommended it!

      Delete
  9. What an interesting setting! I think it really ratchets up the tension and drama when it's dark all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Don't think I'd like it at all.

      Delete
  10. Thrilled that you enjoyed it, Kay! There is indeed a third Katie Flanagan in the pipeline. See you at Malice again next year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine - thank you so much for stopping by and telling us that there will be #3 Katie book. I just loved this one and hope to get the first read before long. As to Malice next year - well, probably not. I may attend Bouchercon as it will be in Dallas, much closer to my home in Texas. Never say never though. LOL

      Delete
  11. I love reading your enthusiasm for this book/series, which I will have to tell my sister in law about as she loves loves loves mysteries. The setting in Antarctica alone sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your sister-in-law loves mysteries, well, she and I would get along well. Not that I don't get along with non-mystery readers, but...you know what I mean. I really like a crime novel with an interesting setting and Antarctica fit the bill there.

      Delete
  12. I've read one book set in Antarctica and really enjoyed it though like you books are the closest I'm ever going to get to making a trip. I'll have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very suspenseful Katherine and cold. A good book for summer in your part of the country and mine. LOL

      Delete
  13. Oooh, I love an intriguing mystery set in a remote location. I'm definitely going to add this one to the ole TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be a good 'read cold in hot times' book for you this summer. LOL

      Delete
  14. I don't think I've ever read a book set in Antarctica. I am glad you enjoyed this one, Kay. I will have to keep my eye out for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good one and such an interesting setting.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!