.

.

Thursday, June 7, 2018

Killer on the Fens - Joy Ellis

Killer on the Fens by Joy Ellis

First Paragraph(s):

Detective Inspector Nikki Galena's face was a mask of concentration as she accelerated her powerful car along the dangerous fenland lanes.  Long shadows were forming as the evening drew in, and she was grateful that she'd actually paid attention during her advanced driving course.
     This was the second time in a week that she had received a call from the nursing home about her father's failing health.  'Wicked bloody disease!' Nikki cursed as she eased the car around a deceptively sharp bend.  The Alzheimer's had stolen most of his once astute brain years ago, but now he was in what the home called 'end stage,' and although she had been told this could go on for a long time, her gut feeling said otherwise.

My Thoughts:

I think I've said more than once that I'm really enjoying reading and listening to Joy Ellis' series featuring DI Nikki Galena.  Killer on the Fens is the 4th of these and, once again, it's narrated by Henrietta Meire.  This book finds Nikki speeding off to her father's care home because his condition has deteriorated.  He has Alzheimer's and Nikki has been losing him bit by bit.  He tells her to 'find Eve'.  Nikki has no idea who he is talking about, but promises to try to fulfill his wish.  A task with lots of complications.  Nikki thinks she knows everything about her father's life, but, of course, she does not.

Adding to the story of 'finding Eve', Killer on the Fens includes a historical airfield and what might be hidden there.  Also, DS Joseph Easter's daughter, Tamsin, has agreed to visit him and Joseph is eager to mend the 'less-than-wonderful' relationship he and Tamsin have shared since she was a little girl.  And then there are the bodies - lots and lots of bodies.  That's all I'll say about the plot.  I liked this one very much and am getting so involved in the lives of all the characters.  I love a complex plot, but I also like to feel connected to the characters in a long-running crime series.  Joy Ellis has managed that very aptly.  The next book is Stalker on the Fens and I imagine you'll be seeing that one on my reading list sooner rather than later.  This series is recommended.

Blurb:

DI Nikki Galena faces a personal challenge which will stretch her to the limit. She must fulfill her father’s dying wish and discover who the mysterious Eve is. Meanwhile a dead drug dealer is found on an abandoned airfield that the locals say is haunted. The trail of both mysteries will lead to the most shocking discovery of Nikki’s career and put her whole team in mortal danger.

14 comments:

  1. This is a series I don't know but seem to recall other posts you've made about it? I'll see if my library has any as I like that area around East Anglia. Thinking of heading up that way in the autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you get to travel in that area, Cath. I like the descriptions of the landscape. Yes, I've enjoyed all the books I've read in the series and the author also has another series and standalones. Yay!

      Delete
  2. You've done it to me again, Kay: introducing me to a series that somehow slipped past me, but that I must start asap.

    I've got a review of a new cozy mystery series on my blog today: https://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2018/06/thursday-thoughts-blog-tourreview-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need this series and I need my library to get it in stock as I'm not buying books right now. I need to figure out how to use the request purchase option as this series sounds amazing!

    You asked about getting the characters mixed up on Dreams of Falling. I really didn't but I can see how people would as there are quite a lot of characters and they're not always made distinct - especially the various men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, thanks for answering about the question I posed. And this series is available on Kindle Unlimited, if you have that.

      Delete
  4. I so love getting into a series and spending time with favorite characters. I am glad you continue to enjoy this one, Kay. I hope I will too when I try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am a series lover when I can find one that suits me. I want the story to go on and on.

      Delete
  5. Believe it or not, I finally started this series the other day! I'm loving it. So glad the series is only getting better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're having a good experience with it. Hope that continues.

      Delete
  6. Ellis writes two of my favorite series! I'm so glad you are enjoying the adventures of Nikki and Joseph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on reading the 2nd Ellis series when I get caught up with this one. And her standalones. Pretty much everything she writes. LOL

      Delete
  7. I've seen this particular "Fens" book on lots of blog. I've been curious about what you think. I'm glad to see you like it in both characters and plot - also my two basics when judging books, Do you suggest starting with the first book or does it not matter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, I would definitely start with the 1st book just so you can understand about the backstory of the characters. You might be able to skip others, but I will say that like most series, things change, people change, etc.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!