.

.

Thursday, June 14, 2018

Stalker on the Fens - Joy Ellis

Stalker on the Fens by Joy Ellis

First Paragraph(s):

'Another bloody dead end!!'
     Detective Inspector Nikki Galena slammed the car door and glared back at the peeling paintwork of the shabby, terraced house.  'Did you see their faces?  Their body language?'
     Detective Sergeant Joseph Easter slipped his notebook back into his pocket and turned the key in the ignition.  'I didn't have to.  The atmosphere was thick enough to choke on.  But you could hardly blame them.  That bastard isn't just threatening them, he's targeting their families as well.  Think how you'd feel if something happened to one of your loved ones and you thought you could have prevented it?  I totally understand why they don't want to talk to us.'

My Thoughts:

I know I've been moving through this series at a fairly fast clip lately.  Stalker on the Fens is the fifth book  and, as usual, is full of action and crime solving.  I enjoy listening to these an audio and Henrietta Meire does a great job with the narration.  Several ongoing threads are nicely tied up before the end of the book and more new characters are introduced.  We'll see if they stick around.  There is quite a lot of info regarding alternative medicine as Nikki's friend, Helen, is involved in that.  And mandalas - which I know very little about.  I like how the author turns her research eye to different topics and includes them in the general story.  As I said, I'm a big fan of Nikki and Joseph and look forward to reading the next - Captive on the Fens.

Blurb:

DI Nikki Galena’s close friend Helen Brook is involved in a serious accident where she is trapped in a collapsed cellar. After her hard-won recovery, Helen is still getting flashbacks to a man she says was down there with her and who confessed to a murder. But no trace of this man can be found.

Then Helen tells Nikki that someone is watching her. But is all this in her friend’s imagination and part of her post-traumatic stress?

And why is Stephen Cox back in town? He’s the villain who tore Nikki’s life apart and he seems to have returned to wreak more chaos. Before long the whole town is on the verge of hysteria and her friend’s fear will lead Nikki and Joseph on a very dangerous trail.

15 comments:

  1. I've sped through all of these books, eagerly waiting the next one. I'm so glad you are enjoying this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm so glad you talked about them originally. That's why I noticed them and remembered you liked them.

      Delete
  2. Definitely not my type of book, but I can imagine that it would be a great thriller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This series has been on my TBR since I first heard about it and I'm so glad it seems to be so strong this many books in. I can wait to start on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it if you get to read it, Katherine.

      Delete
  4. I'm really enjoy the first book in this series! I think DS Easter may become a favorite of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joseph is a great character, right? Love him.

      Delete
  5. I need to reserve a copy of the first in this series from my library. Otherwise, I'm sure to forget about it and I don't want that to happen. It sounds too good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember learning about this series through Jenclair and I have the first book on my kindle. Don't know why I haven't picked it up sooner, but you've sparked my interest in it again.

    Thanks (can never have too many procedural series to follow-- my favorite!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one a good one, Rita. I'm very fond of the characters after reading several of the books.

      Delete
    2. Ok, you got me interested! I just picked up the first one, Crime on the Fens. Looks good!

      Delete
  7. I've been debating with myself over these Fens books. I've enjoyed all of your reviews and will come back to them as I work my way through the books. I seldom work my way through an author's work like this, except for when I discovered Louise Penny's books. But I have really liked your experience so I may give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of taking a break from them right now. A new one just came out - the 9th, I believe. I may pick up with them later in the summer or early fall.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!