.

.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

A Game For All the Family - Sophie Hannah

A Game For All the Family by Sophie Hannah

First Paragraph(s):

The people I'm about to meet in my new life, if they're anything like the ones I'm leaving behind, will ask as soon as they can get away with it.  In my fantasy, they don't have faces or names, only voices--raised, but not excessively so; determinedly casual.
     What do you do?
     Does anyone still add 'for a living' to the end of that question?  It sounds stupidly old-fashioned.
     I hope they miss out the 'living' bit, because this has nothing to do with how I plan to fund my smoked-salmon-for-breakfast habit.  I want my faceless new acquaintances to care only about how I spend my time and define myself--what I believe to be the point of me.  That's why I need the question to arrive in its purest form.
     I have the perfect answer: one word long, with plenty of space around it.
     Nothing.

My Thoughts:

A Game For All the Family is the first book I've read by Sophie Hannah.  She's an author that has been on my TBR list for a really long time.  She's also the author that the Agatha Christie family gave permission to continue the Hercule Poirot series (not sure how I feel about that, but I've not read any of the books).  She has a long-running crime series featuring two police detectives.  I ran across this book on my library's website on audio and decided to try it as my first Sophie Hannah book.

And this may have been one of the oddest books I've ever read.  First of all, the narration was good.  There were three narrators - Lucinda Clare, Fiona Hardingham and Gavin Stenhouse.  No issues with that.  Billed as a 'psychological thriller with an unforgettable ending', it was the story of a family who leaves London and moves away when the mother decides to 'do nothing' or rather just not work any longer.  There is a 13-year-old daughter and a husband who is an opera singer.  Told with scenes from the life of this family and also as a story, purportedly written by the daughter for a school assignment, the narrative switches back and forth.  The daughter's story is about a family with three children - all girls - one a murderer.  Meanwhile, in real life, the mother starts receiving threatening calls from a woman who tells her to return to London or else she and her family will regret it.  Oh, and the daughter's best friend at school, a boy named George, has been expelled, but the school head says he doesn't exist.  That's all I'll say about the plot.

It was hard for the reader to know which way was up or down or sideways.  The fictional school assignment had the strangest family - the sort of people who would be in a Miss Perigrine book, without the unique abilities.  The reader can't decide if that story is real or has real elements.  Plus, is there a George?  I decided to just go along for the ride and see how it all played out.  I liked it well enough that I'll definitely read another book by Sophie Hannah.  However, I could see why it got mixed reviews.  Let me know if you've read this one.  I'm curious about other opinions.

Blurb:

You thought you knew who you were. A stranger knows better.

You’ve left the city—and the career that nearly destroyed you—for a fresh start on the coast. But trouble begins when your daughter withdraws, after her new best friend, George, is unfairly expelled from school.

You beg the principal to reconsider, only to be told that George hasn’t been expelled. Because there is, and was, no George.

Who is lying? Who is real? Who is in danger? Who is in control? As you search for answers, the anonymous calls begin—a stranger, who insists that you and she share a traumatic past and a guilty secret. And then the caller threatens your life. . . .

This is Justine’s story. This is Justine’s family. This is Justine’s game. But it could be yours.

24 comments:

  1. I like this author, but I also like stories that don't leave me wondering and scratching my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was just a little odd-ish. I wasn't quite sure where she was going with it. It definitely wasn't a police procedural or a detective novel.

      Delete
  2. You've certainly aroused my curiosity about this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you might be a good match for this one, Jenclair.

      Delete
  3. I met Hannah once and she was just delightful but I've read mixed things about every one of her books so I haven't tried one yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice that you've gotten meet her, Kathy. Yes, her books seem to be good matches for certain people and not for others.

      Delete
  4. Unfortunately the only book of hers I've read was the first Poirot and it was so awful I doubt if I'll ever read anything else by her. I'm glad you enjoyed this one enough to be tempted to read more. It sounds very weird...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, see, you're one of the ones that has very definite opinions about authors and books, Yvonne. It may have been your thoughts on that first Poirot book she penned that has kept me from trying it. I should just be brave and try them anyway. Maybe the latest one. I've heard good things about it.

      Delete
  5. I loved this book even though I did not have the faintest idea what was going on. I had however read previous books by this author (but not the Poirot ones as I'm not sure about those at all) so had an idea about just how clever she can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad you were confused too, Cleo. Well, I wasn't actually confused, but a bit baffled with the characters. They were definitely odd.

      Delete
  6. I haven't yet read Sophie Hannah, but she does hold a spot on my authors to try list. The narrator of this book sounds quite interesting, which makes me curious to know more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is certainly a puzzle in many ways, Catherine. I'm thinking I might be a better match for her police procedural series.

      Delete
  7. This is a new author to me. I'm not sure what to make of that first paragraph. I'd definitely have to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be curious what you'd think about it, Margot. Ha!

      Delete
  8. Wow, I think this is too weird for me. But it could be very good. I have not tried anything by Sophie Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems there are a bunch of us that haven't yet tried her books. She's been around for quite a while.

      Delete
  9. I haven't yet read this author, although I have a few of her books on my TBR pile. One of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I get it. I'm looking forward to trying more of her books in coming days.

      Delete
  10. I've only read Hannah's Poirot books (I really liked Closed Casket but was meh on the first one and about the start book #3. She's definitely not Christie but I feel like she appreciates Poirot which helps a lot) so I've been really curious about her books with her own characters. This sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might try it and see what you think. I'm still on the fence about trying her Poirot books.

      Delete
  11. I agree -- this is a VERY odd book. I found it confusing, far-fetched, and disappointing which is a bummer because the premise is intriguing. I'm glad you liked it overall. I really didn't. I've heard good things about Sophie Hannah, though, so I'll probably give her another try despite not enjoying this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to figure out what to say. I know I liked it better than you did, but it was so strange. I think I might like her police procedurals better.

      Delete
  12. I've tried reading a couple of Sophie Hannah's books and they just haven't worked for me. I would like to give her another try though. I kind of think those other books were maybe not the right time? Who knows but she is a popular author and I feel like I"m missing out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think Sophie Hannah is an author that works for some, but not for all. I'm still a bit torn as to which category I fit in.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!