.

.

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Let the Dead Rest - J. P. Choquette

Let the Dead Rest by J. P. Choquette

First Paragraph(s):

The doorbell pealed, a tumbling chime of notes that finished several long minutes before I opened the heavy old door.  A small box lay on the mat, covered in brown paper.  It was addressed to me in beautiful cursive.  There was no return address.  I looked up to wave at the delivery driver, to thank him for his trip up the treacherous drive, but his truck was already gone.
     Cold air tangled in my hair and twined around my ankles.  Shadows of the leaves overhead danced across the surface of the package.  The box was about twelve inches long and half as wide.  I turned it over in my hands, but there were no other markings on it.  I went back inside and closed the door before Sampson escaped.
     I carried the box to the kitchen counter.  The wide pine boards were warm under my bare feet and sunlight fell in slanted beams across the old room.  With scissors, I cut away the paper and then slit the tape that held the cardboard box closed.  The paper fell away.  Inside the box lay a note, in the same beautiful cursive, on top of a mound of packing peanuts.
     'To Isabel.'
     Odd.

My Thoughts:

J. P. Choquette's new book was perfect for my first read of this fall's R.I.P. XIII Challenge.  Just take a look at that cover with the 'creepy doll'!  Yes, I am rather fascinated with creepy dolls - all the way from Betty Ren Wright's The Dollhouse Murders (which I read to my daughter when she was in elementary school) to Hallie Ephron's You'll Never Know Dear (which I talked about last year here).  Also, what is it about the woods of New England, Vermont in particular?  There are always spooky houses and rustling leaves and winds that whip around.  There are secrets and hidden things and perhaps a little gravestone.  Have I piqued your interest yet?  Good - let me tell you more.

Told in two time periods, Let the Dead Rest, gives us Etta in the 1940's and Isabel in the present day.  Both live in the same area, though I'm not sure it's in the same house.  Etta has been waiting for her young man to return from WWII.  They have plans to be married and settle down to raise sweet children.  Isabel is a loner.  She took care of her parents until they died and her only brother lives across the country with his family.  He has been encouraging Isabel to get out more or perhaps sell their childhood home and move closer.  Isabel is an artist who creates dolls.  She has a studio in her home and she's recently been told that her work will be exhibited at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  It's her life's dream and she's very busy trying to get ready for that show.  Into the lives of both of these women comes Gerda, a doll that might or might not be haunted in some way.  Certainly, things are about to change, not necessarily for the better.  And that's all I'll say about the plot. 

I've been talking a bit with J. P., the author, as she's commented on my blog here and others as well.  I was pleased when she did a guest post a few weeks ago about 'taphophilia', a very interesting topic it turned out.  Now I know what she ponders as she walks through her Vermont woods - all sorts of Gothic things.  Ha!  I liked the duality of this story and figured out a few things, but not all.  I also liked the info about creating dolls and decided that the research involved must have been really involved and also fascinating.  So, will I read more of her books?  Definitely.  This one get two thumbs up for spookiness!

Blurb:

Some secrets are better left buried…

In 1944, Etta Hayes is nineteen and over-the-moon in love with her recently returned soldier. She dreams of having babies, a little house and a white picket fence. But the doll her fiancĂ© brought back from overseas casts an eerie shadow over their lives. As she digs into the doll’s past, Etta learns the horrible secrets it contains. Secrets she wished she’d never gone looking for.

When present-day artist, Isabel Joven, receives a mysterious vintage doll, she’s intrigued. But then sinister things begin to occur in her rambling farmhouse deep in rural Vermont. And Isabel begins to question every truth she’s ever believed.




23 comments:

  1. That's a creepy cover! The premise sounds intriguing, too! Will have to add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, Melody. I thought it was a lot of fun.

      Delete
  2. Bit of a creepy and ominous start, but I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well, that's kind of the purpose - creepy and ominous. What would you think if you got an odd doll sent to you by an unknown person? LOL

      Delete
  3. Love the opening lines! The rest of the story sounds equally good. Here's hoping my library has this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first thought was "what a creepy cover". Guess it does the job of setting the tone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Kay, for reading and reviewing "Let the Dead Rest". I really appreciate it and your awesome blog. It's obvious that you work hard to keep us bookworms happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, J.P. And as I'm more than a bit of a bookworm myself, it is a labor of love. :-)

      Delete
  6. Oh, my, creepy dolls are like my worst nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looked past the cover and read the first paragraph. I liked it - both the descriptive writing and developing tension. Sounds like a good one for your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it fit that 'spooky' challenge very well.

      Delete
  8. I like the way this fits the R.I.P flavor of this time of year! A haunted doll? Oh, yes, definitely a creepy vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you might find this one interesting Jenclair because of the crafts and art you do.

      Delete
  9. This sounds really good! I read another book by this author and really enjoyed it and this one looks like it'd be even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, your blog was where I first came across J.P. and her books. I think you'd like this one.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Katherine. :) I'm so happy to have found both your blog and Kay's--it adds pleasure to my week for sure.

      Delete
  10. Creepy dolls do make for great thriller fodder, don't they? I love the premise of this book. Of course, the setting alone (both time periods and place) would make me want to read this one. I am glad you enjoyed it, Kay! Adding it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review, Kay! I haven't traveled in the eastern states very much but you are right, there is just something about that setting that just lends itself to fall, spooky reads. It must be that they actually have a fall season as opposed to us here in Texas where it's still hot throughout September/October! :) Putting this book on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting book for sure, Iliana. And perfect for this time of year.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!