.

.

Friday, September 7, 2018

The Story of a New Name - Elena Ferrante

The Story of a New Name by Elena Ferrante

First Paragraph(s):

In the spring of 1966, Lila, in a state of great agitation, entrusted to me a metal box that contained eight notebooks.  She said that she could no longer keep them at home, she was afraid her husband might read them.  I carried off the box without comment, apart from some ironic allusions to the excessive amount of string she had tied around it.  At that time our relationship was terrible, but it seemed that only I considered it that way.  The rare times we saw each other, she showed no embarrassment, only affection; a hostile word never slipped out.
     When she asked me to swear that I wouldn't open the box for any reason, I swore.  But as soon as I was on the train I untied the string, took out the notebooks, began to read.  It wasn't a diary, although there were detailed accounts of the events of her life, starting with the end of elementary school.  Rather, it seemed evidence of a stubborn self-discipline in writing...

My Thoughts:

The Story of a New Name is the second book in Elena Ferrante's Neopolitan Quartet.  Am I surprised that I decided to read it?  Yes I am.  Am I shocked that I finished it?  Yes I am.  Have I gone on to start listening to the third book in the quartet?  Yep.  This book was narrated by Hillary Huber and she's very good with the narration.  My husband asked me what I was listening to and I told him it was an 'Italian soap opera' - sort of.  And this long and epic tale is kind of like that - All My Children in Italy of the 50's, 60's, 70's and beyond.  So many characters, central of which are Lila and Elena, the two friends from 'the neighborhood' and their intertwined relationship over decades.  It tells of women's roles at that time, of poverty, of a desire to better oneself, of families, of people who had so little and, of course, there is drama.  Lots of drama.  These books remind me a bit of the long, long epics that were popular in the '70's and '80's.  I read a lot of those.  Books by James Michener and John Jakes, Susan Howatch, Herman Wouk, and James Clavell.  Perhaps that's why these are speaking to me.  In any case, I now need to know how the story plays out.  I'm in it until the end. 

**Update - I did finish listening to the 3rd and 4th books in the quartet.  Whew!  What a long story.  Lots of drama, as I said above.  It didn't really end with a bang, but I was happy enough with the ending.  I'm not going to do separate posts for those, but if you'd like to check them out, they are Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay (3rd) and The Story of the Lost Child (4th).  Now I need to get back to my normal mystery novels.  Give me some crimes to solve, please.

Blurb:

In The Story of a New Name, Lila has recently married and made her enterée into the family business; Elena, meanwhile, continues her studies and her exploration of the world beyond the neighborhood that she so often finds stifling. Love, jealousy, family, freedom, commitment, and above all friendship: these are signs under which both women live out this phase in their stories. Marriage appears to have imprisoned Lila, and the pressure to excel is at times too much for Elena. Yet the two young women share a complex and evolving bond that is central to their emotional lives and is a source of strength in the face of life's challenges. In these Neapolitan Novels, Elena Ferrante, gives readers a poignant and universal story about friendship and belonging.

21 comments:

  1. LOL, Kay... I did the same thing! Finished the second (mostly on audio) then immediately started the third. It was torture when I had to wait for the 4th book to be published. Glad you enjoyed your "Italian soap opera" diversion. Have you heard it will be on HBO? This fall, I think. Unfortunately we don't have HBO...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did hear HBO was doing a TV adaptation. And, no, we don't have HBO either. Not really sure I'd want to see it on TV anyway.

      Delete
  2. Soap Operas can be addicting. :-) I am glad you enjoyed this one, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for some reason, this one really clicked with me at the time.

      Delete
  3. I read the first book, but haven't felt compelled to continue on. Thanks for the memories of the Jakes and Michener novels. I loved reading those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weren't those older sagas great? I keep thinking I might reread some of them, but I probably won't.

      Delete
  4. I like this author. My book group is reading MY Brilliant Friend this month. I read it a few years back so will need to look at my notes...LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amused at the varied reactions to the book in the book group I discussed it with. Some were big fans and some definitely were not.

      Delete
  5. I like that description -- All My Children in Italy of the 50's, 60's, 70's. All My Children is the only soap opera I every watched and only for a year, back in the early 1970s when I was married to an Air Force pilot, not working, and lots of time on my hands. I might like this series but not planning to try it anytime soon. Too much else that I want to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was watching it at least in the late 70's and early 80's. I almost said that one of the characters reminded me of Erica Kane of All My Children, but no one might know who that is.

      Delete
    2. For years after watching the show, I remember hearing about Erica Kane and the actress who played her, Susan Lucci.

      Delete
  6. I've read very positive reviews of Ferrante's series, but have never read any of the books. I remember those epic books of the 70's and 80's, especially Michener and Wouk--learned a great deal of history from some of those sagas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. Lots of history and Michener was a premier researcher for his book. They were so detailed.

      Delete
  7. Glad you enjoyed them, but not for me! I can't believe she opened the box and read them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Told you it was a soap opera with lots of drama - ha!

      Delete
  8. I have had this series on my radar for a couple of years now. I am interested in the storyline from the Italian ancestry perspective. My husband's family came from an area about an hour outside Naples and I thought this book might give me a bit of insight into their background. Sounds like it is a series I need to read sooner rather than later :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might like it, Molly. As I said, keep in mind, lots of drama. It worked well for the book group I attend, but opinions were very divided.

      Delete
  9. Pleased to hear this Italians Soap Opera Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's all I could really think about - it was always something dramatic - like a soap opera. Ha!

      Delete
  10. Oh wow, I'm so glad to hear you continued with this series. I really enjoyed the first book but haven't continued. You are right, this is like one of those sagas that were so popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it was a long, long story. Especially because I feel that the author meant for it to be read as one book.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!