.

.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Waiting on Wednesday - The Clockmaker's Daughter



I'm posting a 'soon to be released' book on Wednesdays.  These will always be books that I am particularly looking forward to.  I'll be linking up to 'Can't-Wait Wednesday' hosted by Tressa at Wishful Endings and plan to take part in this each week.

I'm really excited about this week's book and it's an author that fits in very well with the R.I.P. Challenge.  Many of her books have a real Gothic feel.  I've read maybe 3 or 4 of them and would like to catch up on her backlist.  This week, I'm waiting on:




Publication Date:  October 9th

My real name, no one remembers.
The truth about that summer, no one else knows.

In the summer of 1862, a group of young artists led by the passionate and talented Edward Radcliffe descends upon Birchwood Manor on the banks of the Upper Thames. Their plan: to spend a secluded summer month in a haze of inspiration and creativity. But by the time their stay is over, one woman has been shot dead while another has disappeared; a priceless heirloom is missing; and Edward Radcliffe's life is in ruins.

Over one hundred and fifty years later, Elodie Winslow, a young archivist in London, uncovers a leather satchel containing two seemingly unrelated items: a sepia photograph of an arresting-looking woman in Victorian clothing, and an artist's sketchbook containing the drawing of a twin-gabled house on the bend of a river.

Why does Birchwood Manor feel so familiar to Elodie? And who is the beautiful woman in the photograph? Will she ever give up her secrets?

Told by multiple voices across time, The Clockmaker's Daughter is a story of murder, mystery, and thievery, of art, love and loss. And flowing through its pages like a river, is the voice of a woman who stands outside time, whose name has been forgotten by history, but who has watched it all unfold: Birdie Bell, the clockmaker's daughter.

36 comments:

  1. Sounds like there's a time travel element maybe, bridging the gap between eras? Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about that, Greg, but perhaps. Definitely a story set in two time periods.

      Delete
  2. Oh this is a wonderful share! I have just barely started reading this one, and I love this author! Hope we both enjoy it!

    Www.jennifertarheelreader.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate Morton is one of my favorite authors, and I've already pre-ordered this one. Only a couple more weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is sure to be a good one. I have an ARC of this title that I'm itching to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you are itching to read it, but so many others call to you, right?

      Delete
  5. I love Kate Morton's books. I have read The Lake House and The House at Riverton. Going to order this one. I just finished a book soon to be released called The Clockmaker's Secret. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! Well, from secrets to daughters or daughters with secrets. Ha!

      Delete
  6. Sounds very interesting. I haven't read any of Kate Morton's books so I'll have to look into this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a huge Kate Morton fan, as you probably know, but I didn't love this one nearly as much as her other ones. It's different and my least favorite. I've heard others rave about it, though, so maybe it's more of a "me" thing than an "it" thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure you're the only one who has felt that way, Susan. I've another blogging friend who has finished it but not reviewed it yet. She's thinking about what to say and I suspect she wasn't completely satisfied with it or something.

      Delete
  8. I have a thing for clocks and so the title and cover of this one made me sit up more when I first came across it. I've only tried to read one of Morton's books and couldn't finish it. I like to think it was timing more than the book itself. I would like to try her work again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This author's books are usually pretty long. And I can see that they might not be right for the time or the person. You might try this one, Wendy, and see what you think when it comes out.

      Delete
  9. I like Kate Morton's writing; this is on my TBR list. Thanks for sharing Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I certainly like her writing too. I'll be hoping for a good experience with it when I get a chance to read it.

      Delete
  10. I like Morton's books, too, and have a couple from her backlist to catch up on. This one sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does. I've only read maybe 3 of her books up to now. Not all, certainly.

      Delete
  11. I've been seeing this one around a lot. Lots of people seem to love this author!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, this is going to the top of my TBR pile when it comes out. I LOVE Kate Morton's books and have been anxiously awaiting her next novel. Thanks for posting as I hadn't heard of this release. Such a talented writer and gifted storyteller...plus, GOTHIC. I mean, what else could I want?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - Gothic indeed. Our minds think alike, J.P.!

      Delete
  13. I can't wait for this one! Kate Morton, Gothic, art (Pre-Raphaelite?), and an archivist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect, right? We'll see. I'm not sure everyone is loving it, but that's how it usually is.

      Delete
  14. I'm really excited about this one too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know it is on so many others' lists as well as mine!

      Delete
  15. I can't wait for this one! I'm lucky to be #4 on the library holds list. =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I was a little girl, my mom read nothing but Gothics. She started handing them off to me when I was eleven or twelve. I read almost exclusively Gothic novels during my teen years. I never want to read another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was definitely a 'thing' when we were both younger. I can see how you might get tired of them (though I haven't - ha!), but I'm also glad that we all get to read books that suit us. Right? I bet your Mom and I have read a lot of the same books. :-)

      Delete
  17. Oh I want this one so much! I've now read 3 Kate Morton books and have loved them all!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Kaye, just happened to see your comment on Beth Fish reads blog. Even though I no longer maintain my blog, Pudgy Penguin Perusals, I sometimes keep an eye out for an interesting post.

    Kate Morton is one of my favorite writers and I too am looking forward to her latest book. If you have not read The Distant Hours, I would highly recommend that one and also The Secret Keeper. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kaye! Nice to see you again here. I agree that THE DISTANT HOURS and THE SECRET KEEPER are both very good. I'm hearing a bit of mixed reactions to this new Morton book, but I'll try it and see what I think.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!