.

.

Monday, September 24, 2018

Vacation Reading and Listening...short thoughts...

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I read a bunch of books on our vacation to New Mexico.  I'm going to try to share a few short thoughts about them.  I won't do full reviews, but if you are interested, please go check them out at your local library.  Several of these were audiobooks or read/listen combos.  Here we go:


Black Rabbit Hall - Eve Chase

First sentence:  I feel safe on the cliff edge, safer than in the house, anyway.

I read this author's second book, The Wildling Sisters, earlier this year and liked it a lot.  I also liked Black Rabbit Hall very much.  It was quite the Gothic tale, told in two time periods.  Loved that.  Amber is in the past and Lorna is in the present.  This would have been a good choice for R.I.P.  Family secrets, an old house on the Cornwall coast, what's not to like?  Narrated by several, this one is recommended.


Girl Last Seen - Nina Laurin

First sentence:  The night is so bright it hurts her eyes.

Another debut novel, this one tells of two girls who went missing over thirteen years apart.  The main character, Lainey, escaped from her kidnapper.  Now another girl has been taken.  Lainey has been messed up ever since she was found.  Lots of self-destructive behavior, but certainly not unexpected.  The story definitely held my interest.  Narrated by Vanessa Johansson.  Another book by this author, What My Sister Knew, has recently been published.


The Fate of Mercy Alban - Wendy Webb

First sentence:  People were gathering at Alban House for the family's annual summer solstice party--a happy occasion.

Another book that would make a good R.I.P. choice, this story involves Grace Alban returning to her childhood home upon the death of her mother.  Her teenage daughter is with her and they find a lot of things that they didn't expect.  There are secrets, of course, and hidden passages and a family curse.  Yes, there's that Gothic element again.  I read another book by this author earlier this year, The End of Temperance Dare.  I fully intend to sample her other two books and then another will be published later this fall.  Yay!  Narrated by Kirsten Potter.


Three Days Missing - Kimberly Belle

First sentence:  My phone is already buzzing with work email as I rush Ethan through his morning routine.

I've read other books by this author and so I was prepared to like this one.  I did, with some reservations.  I will say that the end of the book, the last few sentences, were quite chilling to me.  Anyway, narrated by Vanessa Johansson and Sarah Naughton, it's about a couple of families and another missing/kidnapped child - a boy this time.  Kat Jenkins is woken by the police telling her that Ethan, her 9-year-old, has disappeared on a school camping trip.  Ethan is a highly intelligent child that suffers a bit (or more than bit) of bullying at his school.  We also get to know another mother, Stef, the wife of the mayor of Atlanta.  Her son was also on the trip.  I liked this, but got quite frustrated with both mothers.  However, I wanted to know how it ended.  Not my favorite of this author's books, but good enough.


Bonfire - Krysten Ritter

First sentence:  My last year of high school, when Kaycee Mitchell and her friends got sick, my father had a bunch of theories.

I'll be the first to admit that I tried this book because I've watched Krysten Ritter's portrayal of TV's Jessica Jones.  I was rather fascinated with the idea that she had written a thriller.  It was pretty good.  Narrated by Karissa Vacker, we read how Abby Williams comes back to her small Indiana hometown with a group of lawyers checking into reports that a local manufacturer is behind some water problems.  What we actually know is that Abby wants to find out about what happened after her childhood friend disappeared (or left) after high school.  I was absorbed in the story.  As I said - it wasn't bad.  I'll be curious to hear if Krysten Ritter pens another novel.


The Late Show - Michael Connelly

First sentence:  Ballard and Jenkins rolled up on the house on El Centro shortly before midnight.

This is the first book by Michael Connelly that I've read (or rather listened to).  Narrated by Katherine Moennig, it's also the first in a possible new series by Connelly - the Renee Ballard series.  And it was our Mystery Book Group read for September.  My husband and I both listened to this one as we drove to New Mexico.  I think we both liked it, though it did start out a little slow.  If you don't know Michael Connelly, he writes the Harry Bosch books, as well as the Mickey Haller series.  There will be a Ballard/Bosch novel called Dark Sacred Night coming out in late October.  I'm planning on reading that one.  I liked Renee Ballard.  She definitely goes her own way and doesn't always 'follow the rules'.  She has a great dog, Lola.  Recommended!


Twisted River - Siobhan Macdonald

First sentence:  She would never have fit as neatly into the trunk of his own car.

How's that for a first sentence?  This one was told from the viewpoint of four different characters and also narrated by four people.  I liked that.  It was a house swap story (and published in 2016, so not new).  One couple from Limerick, Ireland and one from New York.  Bad things definitely happen to both couples.  Lots and lots of secrets.  Stuff you didn't expect.  I thought I had this one figured out early on.  Trust me - I did not.  I don't think this author has written another book since, but I'll be watching if she does.

---------------------------------------

Think that covers it.  As I said, if you think any of these sound good, try your library.  Thanks for reading!

28 comments:

  1. I've had Black Rabbit Hall on my list since I read the first reviews and still haven't read it. Later, I read The Wilding Sisters which I liked a lot, so I really need to get to Black Rabbit Hall. I read Nina Lauren's What My Sister Knew (interesting twist, but no really likable characters) and am curious about Girl Last Seen. Although I will skip Wendy Webb, I'm really interested in the rest of the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always happy to give you some ideas, Jenclair!

      Delete
  2. That's a lot of reading and listening... and walking, too, I'll bet! I've had Black Rabbit Hall on my list for quite some time. I tend to enjoy audios with multiple narrators. This sounds like a great choice for RIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there was indeed a lot of walking. I've been very busy lately and not doing quite as much walking as I was a few weeks ago. I'm missing it a lot. I'm planning on getting back to it very soon.

      Delete
  3. I'm so impressed because I hardly read at all when I'm on vacation. I haven't read Michael Connelly in a while and need to because I love his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try this new series by Connelly, Kathy. I liked the protagonist, though not all of our book group liked her. This was a quiet, peaceful vacation to an area that we often visit. Not really much going on except relaxing.

      Delete
  4. You seriously read quite a bit while on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did this time. Lots of walking and reading.

      Delete
  5. The Fate of Mercy Alban sounds exactly like something I would enjoy! I love stories about old houses with lots of secrets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like those types of stories too, Angela.

      Delete
  6. Ha! Yes, the first line of Twisted River is indeed great! These are the things we never think about when buying our cars... ��

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked The Late Show and look forward to the next book in the series. Black Rabbit Hall is buried on the stacks, time to dig it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good time of year for BLACK RABBIT HALL. And, yes, I'm looking forward to being with Ballard and Bosch.

      Delete
  8. Great list of books but I've to say Black Rabbit Hall and The Fate of Mercy Alban look the most appealing to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good time of year for both of those, Melody.

      Delete
  9. The only one I've read is Black Rabbit Hall which I really enjoyed. I really mean to read The Wildling Sisters but never did. When I first got my Kindle I got The Fate of Mercy Alban from the library but never ended up reading it and then forgot. I need to recheck it out. I love a good Gothic-y read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you might enjoy both of those. They definitely fit the Gothic-y theme.

      Delete
  10. I've read—and enjoyed—BLACK RABBIT HALL, but none of these others. They all sound intriguing. More for my TBR mountain chain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our chains are constantly growing, right? LOL

      Delete
  11. Looks like you had a great vacation -- in more than one way. The books all look great. The only one I've read is the Michael Connelly. I like this new series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that new series too, though I've not read any of the others. I have watched the Bosch TV adaptation and like it.

      Delete
  12. Black Rabbit Hall... not heard of that and it's 'Cornwall'. But they all sound good so will be doing some investigating later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - you should check out BLACK RABBIT HALL, Cath. You might like it.

      Delete
  13. It feels like forever since I had a vacation when I could actually do reading . . . Maybe when my daughter is older. Haha

    I am glad you liked Black Rabbit Hall. I want to read that one as well, but had heard mixed reviews and so it moved down my TBR pile a bit. I love Michael Connelly and his books, but it's been forever since I last read one of his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your time of more vacation reading will come, Wendy. I remember those days. LOL

      Delete
  14. Oh no, now I want to read all of these! They all sound so good and like you said, some of these would be perfect for R.I.P. reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You sound like me when I'm reading other blogs. I end up wanting to read everything.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!