.

.

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Waiting on Wednesday - Kingdom of the Blind



I'm posting a 'soon to be released' book on Wednesdays.  These will always be books that I am particularly looking forward to.  I'll be linking up to 'Can't-Wait Wednesday' hosted by Tressa at Wishful Endings and plan to take part in this each week.

The book I'm waiting for this week is one that no one who reads this blog regularly should question or be surprised about.  Louise Penny is probably my favorite author ever.  She just speaks to me and my heart so vividly - plus she can write a good mystery novel as well.  After her husband passed away some months ago, she said that she had not thought she would have a book for 2018.  Thought she would take a year off.  That is not the case though.  It's being published a little later in the year than usual, but Louise shared that writing it was good therapy for her.  She misses her Michael so much, so I expect she poured her heart and soul into this one.  This week I'm waiting on:




Publication Date:  November 27th

When a peculiar letter arrives inviting Armand Gamache to an abandoned farmhouse, the former head of the Sûreté du Québec discovers that a complete stranger has named him one of the executors of her will. Still on suspension, and frankly curious, Gamache accepts and soon learns that the other two executors are Myrna Landers, the bookseller from Three Pines, and a young builder.

None of them had ever met the elderly woman.

The will is so odd and includes bequests that are so wildly unlikely that Gamache and the others suspect the woman must have been delusional. But what if, Gamache begins to ask himself, she was perfectly sane?

When a body is found, the terms of the bizarre will suddenly seem less peculiar and far more menacing.

But it isn’t the only menace Gamache is facing.

The investigation into what happened six months ago—the events that led to his suspension—has dragged on, into the dead of winter. And while most of the opioids he allowed to slip though his hands, in order to bring down the cartels, have been retrieved, there is one devastating exception.

Enough narcotic to kill thousands has disappeared into inner city Montreal. With the deadly drug about to hit the streets, Gamache races for answers.

As he uses increasingly audacious, even desperate, measures to retrieve the drug, Armand Gamache begins to see his own blind spots. And the terrible things hiding there.

28 comments:

  1. I love this choice! I have a few Louise Penny books here, and I have not gotten started with them yet. This is a good reminder, and this one sounds wonderful. I hope you love it!

    Here is my CWW: https://jennifertarheelreader.com/2018/09/05/i-cant-wait-for-cant-wait-wednesday-waiting-on-wednesday-girlhermes-harperbooks-cantwaitwednesday-tarheelreader-themermaidandmrshancock/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should definitely start them. Just one at a time. You'll get through them in no time. :-)

      Delete
  2. She's a great author, i need to catch up with her books!

    Here is my Wednesday Post. Happy Hump Day!

    Sassy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really excited for this one, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect we are not the only ones, right?

      Delete
  4. I'm already behind by one book, but Louise Penny is an author that will always make my list! Now, I have two Three Pines books to look forward to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you - two to look forward to. I've been about rereading them. I have a mystery group friend who has done that several times before reading whatever is the new book.

      Delete
  5. Sounds intense. Hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really wanted to listen to Louise Penny speak when I was at the National Book Festival last weekend, but it just didn't work out, unfortunately. She's such a tremendous author and I always look forward to reading her books. I'm so glad you introduced me to her writing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You went to the National Book Festival??? How fun! She is great to listen to. Bet she'll come to your area at some point. Scottsdale is the first place I saw her - at the Poisoned Pen. And it was my pleasure to introduce her books.

      Delete
  7. I've really enjoyed Louise Penny's audio books--the narrator used is PERFECT. Have you listened to any? I love the cover on both the books in the first photo--they're beautiful! Hope you had a good time away and returned refreshed, Kay. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have listened to a couple of them. She lost her regular narrator in the last year or so too, along with her husband. However, the new narrator is doing a good job or so I've heard.

      Thanks about the 'Waiting on Wednesday' picture above. The book on the right is a notebook that I haven't used yet, but will eventually. It will get added to my other notebooks that chronicle my reads. Yes, we had a great time!

      Delete
  8. I feel for the author. I had no idea. I am glad she is finding comfort in writing. She's one of many authors I need to read more of. The book I have read of hers I loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole series is great, Wendy, but you're at a busy time of life. Perhaps one day you can catch up and read all of them.

      Delete
  9. I was wondering if there'd be a new Penny this year. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just a little later than usual. I've heard Louise mention that she worried a bit about it coming out so close to the holiday season - afraid it would get lost in the shuffle. I think she's moved on to the kind of acclaim that won't care when her books are released. Everyone loves them or so it seems.

      Delete
  10. I never read this author, but she's on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I've heard of this author and this series, and seeing that it's set in Montreal- yup that confirms it. The Gamache series... these have been recommended to me before but I haven't tried them yet. Soon hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very worth your time to try, Greg. Hope you get a chance.

      Delete
  12. As you know, Louise Penny is one of my favorite authors too. I'm expecting this book will be special for her personal reasons, as you say. I have already pre-ordered so I'm super eager - along with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've got my copy preordered as well, Margot.

      Delete
  13. I'm so glad she's continuing with the series! I'm still a bit behind but really look forward to catching up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted too. I think she'll keep going. Think she has more to say about Three Pines.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!