.

.

Monday, September 10, 2018

Emma in the Night - Wendy Walker

Emma in the Night by Wendy Walker

First Paragraph(s):

According to the Greek myth, Narcissus was a hunter who was exceptionally beautiful and proud.  He was so proud, in fact, that he rejected anyone who tried to love him.  Nemesis, the goddess of revenge, decided to punish Narcissus.  She lured him to a pool of water where he was able to see his own reflection.  He fell madly in love with himself and stared at his reflection until he died.

We believe what we want to believe.  We believe what we need to believe.  Maybe there's no difference between wanting and needing.  I don't know.  What I do know is that the truth can evade us, hiding behind our blind spots, our preconceptions, our hungry hearts that long for quiet.  Still, it is always there if we open our eyes and try to see it.  If we really try to see.

My Thoughts:

As you can see above, the first part of this book tells the reader of the Greek myth about Narcissus.  I always thought it was kind of humorous - falling in love with one's reflection - but in Emma in the Night - scary!  Two sisters disappear.  After three years, the younger sister shows up again.  The FBI had been involved with the original event and the same forensic psychiatrist returns, along with her partner, to determine what happened.  Dr. Abby Winter knows about girls who are raised in homes where someone might have narcissistic personality disorder.  She wrote her thesis on that mental illness.  And she's not sure exactly what happened here, but she's going to find out.

I remember hearing about this book when it was originally published last summer.  I ran across it on the library audio list and decided to listen to it narrated by Julia Whelen and Therese Plummer (both very good).  Told from the viewpoints of Dr. Winter and also Cass Tanner, the sister that returns, the reader isn't sure what is what or who is telling any sort of truth.  And then the story turns upside down.  Where is Emma?  Where has Cass been all this time?  I was really caught up in the story and guessed one thing and then another.  It was definitely a book that was hard to put down or quit listening.  Very compelling - I liked it a lot.  Now to wait and see what Wendy Walker writes next. 

Blurb:

One night three years ago, the Tanner sisters disappeared: fifteen-year-old Cass and seventeen-year-old Emma. Three years later, Cass returns, without her sister Emma. Her story is one of kidnapping and betrayal, of a mysterious island where the two were held. But to forensic psychiatrist Dr. Abby Winter, something doesn't add up. Looking deep within this dysfunctional family Dr. Winter uncovers a life where boundaries were violated and a narcissistic parent held sway. And where one sister's return might just be the beginning of the crime.

26 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good and twisty read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post took me back to prepublication of this book and all the hype. I wanted to read it then, but unsurprisingly never got around to it, leaving my ARC on the side in favor of shinier, newer objects. I would still like to read it, especially after reading your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there was a lot of talk about it. I liked it quite a bit.

      Delete
  3. I'm not well-versed in Greek mythology, but remember wanting to read this when it was released. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely kept my interest and the connection to the myth was a plus.

      Delete
  4. Oooh this sounds really good and I love the narrators!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting the connection this book has with the Narcissus myth. makes me want to read it even more. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That part was very interesting and also a little scary. Ha!

      Delete
  6. Oh, I remember being tempted by this one too, and then it fell off my radar, so thanks for the reminder. It does sound intriguing, and I like the first paragraph...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of us took notice when it was first published and then got distracted with other books.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an intriguing page turner. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm interested in this one: a take on a myth, a disappearance, a psychiatrist with doubts about the story. I want to know about Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seemed like everyone was reading this last year, but I went back and forth on it. I might give it another chance now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try it and see if it crosses your path, Angela.

      Delete
  10. I remember when this came out too and found it intriguing but never quite enough to actually pick it up. You just talked me into putting it on hold at the library. Sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love stories told from two viewpoints. I would be interested if I did not already have way too many books, but maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember hearing about this one when it first came out and thinking I might like it. I am definitely adding it to my wish list now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay, so glad to hear you liked it. I do have this one on my kindle and need to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like it and want to read whatever she chooses to write next.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!