.

.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Not That I Could Tell - Jessica Strawser

Not That I Could Tell by Jessica Strawser

First Paragraph(s):

Ever wonder what your friends really think of you?
     I take a lot of care in my appearance, for instance.  I'm a small-town doctor's wife, so I need to look the part--even if I don't feel the part.  And I have twins enrolled in pre-K at a charter school so obsessed with freethinking it will shove free thoughts down your throat.  So I make sure it's obvious to everyone there what happy, healthy, cherished little people my kids are.  I never forget to dress in their pajamas for pajama day.  I always sign up to bring the most elaborate snacks to the class parties.  I help other moms in the parking lot when their pumpkin seats jam or their strollers collapse.  I make a point of knowing all their names.
     You probably think I care a lot what my friends think.
     I don't.
     None of this charade is for them.
     It's no great accomplishment to get someone to believe a lie.  It's not that hard, really.  Look at me: doctor's wife, working mom, good neighbor.  You've already summed me up, haven't you?  You're already filling in the blanks.

My Thoughts:

This is another audio from my library - my hold finally became available.  I read Jessica Strawser's first book, Almost Missed You, last year and liked it.  I knew that this one had been a 'Book of the Month' pick, so I decided to try it too.  Some of the set-up was familiar - neighborhood women friends - kids are playmates - secrets told or not - and then, someone is gone.  The police step in - lots of questions - how well do we know each other - what's being hidden - more secrets.  The audio was narrated by Erin Bennett.  She did a good job.  And I did like the story, though I guessed a lot - not quite all though.

I liked the characters that Jessica Strawser sets in this suburban Ohio neighborhood, the women, the kids, one of the men.  The wink at the preschool/charter school dynamics was funny and probably way too true - the gossip, the over-the-top requirements and 'rules'.  There was a lot of relationship talk - between the friends, the spouses, the individual women's families growing up, some of their sisters - all was believable to me.  The case of the woman who is gone, along with her kids, is investigated and then becomes cold.  It's hard to know if foul play is involved - possibly.  Eventually, there are a few real surprises.  And answers.  I was satisfied.  And, yes, I'll be reading this author's next book, which will come out in the spring. 

Blurb:

When a group of neighborhood women gathers, wine in hand, around a fire pit where their backyards meet one Saturday night, most of them are just ecstatic to have discovered that their baby monitors reach that far. It’s a rare kid-free night, and they’re giddy with it. They drink too much, and the conversation turns personal.

By Monday morning, one of them is gone.

Everyone knows something about everyone else in the quirky small Ohio town of Yellow Springs, but no one can make sense of the disappearance. Kristin was a sociable twin mom, college administrator, and doctor’s wife who didn’t seem all that bothered by her impending divorce—and the investigation turns up more questions than answers, with her husband, Paul, at the center. For her closest neighbor, Clara, the incident triggers memories she thought she’d put behind her—and when she’s unable to extract herself from the widening circle of scrutiny, her own suspicions quickly grow. But the neighborhood’s newest addition, Izzy, is determined not to jump to any conclusions—especially since she’s dealing with a crisis of her own.

As the police investigation goes from a media circus to a cold case, the neighbors are forced to reexamine what’s going on behind their own closed doors—and to ask how well anyone really knows anyone else.

24 comments:

  1. Those first paragraphs got my attention! I have not read anything by Strawser, but she is now on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe this is just her second book, so not a big backlist.

      Delete
  2. I read this one and liked it enough to want to read her next book. I thought she did a good job of combining women's fiction and domestic suspense - which is probably why I enjoyed it as much as I did :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. It was not overly suspenseful in many ways and yet you wanted to know what happened.

      Delete
  3. I like this setup for a novel, even though it's definitely familiar. I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The premise isn't all that new, but that doesn't matter if the author is able to pull it off well. This sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did a good job with a theme that is being used a bunch these days.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any books by this author but she sounds like one I'd like. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she only has this book and another. I liked her previous book too.

      Delete
  6. This was my book of the month club pick...now if only I can find the time to actually read it because it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read her last book, and I enjoyed it. But I think her books are marketed incorrectly as thrillers. Her last one was definitely not a thriller, it was more character-driven, and I think this one might be the same way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Angela, I think this one might cross over into the suspense category, but it falls under that new-ish category of 'domestic noir' to me. So many books these days seem hard to classify.

      Delete
  8. Erin Bennett is a good narrator. I've listened to her quite a bit. This is a new to me author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree about Erin Bennett. The author only has two books as yet, I think.

      Delete
  9. This looks like another one I should try. Great first paragraph, and I love reading your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. It was definitely interesting and kept me turning the pages - so to speak.

      Delete
  11. It could be dangerous to know what people/friends really thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds intriguing, though maybe not an edge of your seat thriller. It's good that you were happy with the answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it and am looking forward to her next book.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!