.

.

Thursday, September 6, 2018

R.I.P. XIII Reading Challenge - slightly late, but still...

R.I.P. XIII

I realized recently that in all my planning for blog posts after my break, I had not made time for joining in with my favorite fall reading challenge, Readers Imbibing Peril XIII.  Yes, this event is in year 13.  Amazing, right?  And who doesn't love a little Mystery, a little Suspense, a little Thriller, a little Dark Fantasy, a little Gothic, a little Horror, or a little Supernatural.  These are the categories to choose from for reading or watching and they are my favorites of all.  I've especially been enjoying Gothic-type reading lately.

So, I will be posting my progress and updating this post as the days go by.  This event runs until October 31st.  I'll play fair and only include books that I've started after September 1st, though I've got a bunch of posts scheduled for this month already that would fit.  However, I warn you to not expect a R.I.P. review until closer to the end of September.  I'll be doing 'Peril the First', which is reading any four books that fit in the categories above.  For me, no problem at all!  If you're interested, join in.  You can check out the link above.

Below is a sample of some of the books that I might pick up during this time period.  We shall not even speak of the multitude of books on  my Kindle or of the audios that might pique my interest.  Let's get our 'spooky' on!!




R.I.P. XIII Books Read

1.  Let the Dead Rest - J.P. Choquette
2.  The Lake of Dead Languages - Carol Goodman
3.  House of Echoes - Brendan Duffy
4.  Trust Me - Hank Phillippi Ryan
5.  Skeletons in the Attic - Judy Penz Sheluk
6.  The Guilty Dead - P.J. Tracy
7.  Lethal White - Robert Galbraith

33 comments:

  1. I've seen a lot of buzz about Trust Me. Have fun with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it is getting some really positive reviews.

      Delete
  2. Have fun! I love reading horror and thrillers at any time during the year, but there is something about the cooler weather that makes them particularly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the whole fall/pumpkin/ghostie atmosphere.

      Delete
  3. Have fun, Kay! Looking forward to your thoughts on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This challenge is completely perfect for me - you know?

      Delete
  4. Enjoy being terrified Kay. Isn't it funny how the change in the seasons can make us reach for certain types of books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always like romance/family type books in the spring. Or mysteries and crime novels. Ha!

      Delete
  5. I miss this challenge ever since Carl no longer hosts it; what a purist I am. Still, every October this genre calls, and I liked perusing your stack from here in Illinois. As for me, I think I'll read an old classic Penguin sent me last fall: The Hanging at Picnic Rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I only did the challenge once when Carl was hosting. It's a good one though.

      Delete
  6. This is made for you! And in answer to your rhetorical question, other than mystery, ME! ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know. You're not a dark mystery/crime novel lover. Isn't it nice that we can still be friends? ;-)

      Delete
    2. Yup! Same with Les and me. ;<))

      Delete
  7. I'd really like to fit The Craftsman in too, but I have so many horror story anthologies this year! I think the spooky season will have to be extended all the way to spring...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Craftsman will suit the challenge to a T!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would, wouldn't it? Hope I get to it. I need to put it where I can see it frequently. Right now, it's in the closet. LOL

      Delete
  9. I liked Touch Not the Cat. Enjoy the challenge, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it too, Cath. Reading it will be fun all over again.

      Delete
  10. Fun challenge! I want to read more spooky/creepy books this fall. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good time for those books, Angela. Hope you can fit some in.

      Delete
  11. This is such a fun challenge! Since it's the 13th year, I might have to join in this time around :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, you should. You read a lot of books that might fit this category. Certainly at least 4. Ha!

      Delete
  12. I like the idea of doing the RIP event, but like you, I am going to read lots of books in that area anyway, and may not even review any of them by the end of October. And at this point, any additional pressure feels like too much, even if it is really low key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand, Tracy. This is a very low-key event. No reviews required, etc. However, none of us need anything that feels like additional pressure at all. :-)

      Delete
  13. This challenge is right up your alley Kay! Great choices, have fun. I joined with 4 books— I hope to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet you'll get them finished. Two months is a pretty generous time period, especially if one gravitates to this type of book naturally. Ha!

      Delete
  14. I see a Barbara Michaels! Love her spooky stories. I am so behind on everything but will be posting about my RIP reads soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I loved Barbara Michaels books when I was a teen and I've never lost that love.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!